Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash

Themed short programs

Dance has had a yearly rhythm in the original set pattern, then the original dance, and now the short dance.

I would love to see singles and pairs have a required musical theme applied to the short program.

I wonder how many skaters are capable of doing a latin program, a waltz, rock and roll, disco, polka or a charlston.

Just food for thought on a slow day.

vCash
    I think that could be a very cool idea. It might also be interesting if the jumps and spins were drawn at the start of the year, and all skaters did the same elements. The downside is that for TV audiences it could be really boring to watch. I'm just not sure how different the programs would be.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

YEAH!
    vCash
    Haven't you ever watched the Ladies SP from Worlds? The theme is "muzak."

I would make the categories broader though, like "any ballroom or Latin style dance," "soundtracks, musicals, and famous or historical characters," and "folk dances." That would give us more variety. It's never going to happen in eligible competition but it would be fun to have a pro competition like that.

vCash
    Hmmm... maybe not in the same season... but i"m sure Carmen has been a theme! Requieme for a Dream Tosca Turandot ...

O now this has made me want to see a "Carmen" themed short program for the season... imagine how hilarious that would be!

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    O now this has made me want to see a "Carmen" themed short program for the season... imagine how hilarious that would be!
    I can only imagine Manleywoman's reaction to that.

vCash
    I wouldn't mind having a compulsory round with themed music and basic position spins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Haven't you ever watched the Ladies SP from Worlds? The theme is "muzak."
    And given COP, we've had a lot of years where the ladies largely attempt the same elements (Ok, everybody -- it's the flip out of footwork in the SP, and don't forget the catchfoot spin.) Luckily we've been saved from the ugly spiral sequences from a couple of years ago, but they also largely were alike.

vCash
    I really like this idea. Although it will separate those who are musically gifted to those who are merely technically gifted or resort to cliches instead of real artistry

Or we can rename it Chalk and Cheese Exploitation Program.

vCash
    The music theme idea is one I like, like making musicals/movies/character portrayals a theme, classic skating music (Carmen, Mozart, typical classical music), ballroom dance theme, etc. This really would show which teams have good choreography, they can't just hide behind the elements as much anymore. And some of those pairs teams have absolutely no timing at all, they could use some dance lessons....

However, not liking the same elements thing. That would be incredibly boring, even for myself as a skater, to watch. At the lower levels in USFS there are compulsory programs (at non-qualifying competitions, I mean.), and that's basically what this would be. It would be nice to watch, but somewhat easier to tie for scoring on. Sure, music choice changes it up, but it gets boring to see star lift after star lift after star lift and throw triple loop after throw triple loop after throw triple loop.... Anyways, I don't like that idea very much.
    Last edited by julianaqtpi; 11-02-2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: adding more info (:

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    This board all but explodes when a couple of skaters decide to do a tango one year... and you're talking about themed SPs for everyone?!?