Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Don't know much about Dulles (I usually fly to Europe via Atlanta, Newark, or Houston), but I usually plan only about 1.5-2 hours to change planes and to get through customs. The Friday after Thanksgiving shouldn't be too bad. I think you'll be fine. United and Austrian both Star Alliance partners, right? Will your bags be ticketed all the way to your final destination? If not, that might be a problem. If they are, the bag drop should be just inside customs.
    I am sure they will be ticketed all the way through. I will just need to pick them up at Dulles to go through customs, then return them to the baggage people to send on. I have done it at different airports in the past, so I think it's safe to assume Dulles will have something similar. The only exception is Southwest airline. Even though I travel on it frequently domestically, for international flights I always use one of the other airlines (usually United or US airways).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I'm with you. I am not a light traveler.

I've had to clear customs at Dulles, when everything was under construction, with a group of high school students and we actually made it through in less than 40 minutes. This was at the peak of the summer travel season as well.

I think your 2 hours + will be enough time.

Thanks! That makes me feel much better.

...an acquired taste
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I am sure they will be ticketed all the way through.
    Then you should be fine.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I just came into Dulles from Europe this week. Even if you fly into the new terminal -- which doesn't have passport control and immigration -- they move you over into that area fairly quickly. We got through everything, at the busy time at day, in 40 minutes, and you have much more time than that. You'll be fine.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    For those who frequently use Orbitz-

How difficult is it to get a flght route changed after purchasing the ticket? Mine is a nonrefundable and nonchangeable ticket. Does it mean it is absolutely impossible to get it changed (or deleted, and replaced by another ticket)?

vCash
    No, just call the airline. It's going to cost you, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    No, just call the airline. It's going to cost you, though.
    Cost is definitely a concern, and in this case calling the airline may not work, since it may mean taking a completely different airline, in order to land in SF instead of in DC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12