Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Should Halloween be moved from the 31rst...to the last Sat.?

Ok.I saw this on the News,and thought I'd post it for opinions. It is....Do you think Halloween (meaning Trick-or-Treating) should be moved from the 31rst,to the last Sat. in Oct.? Here's what I heard. To summerize...they said that Parents are concerned about kids not being able to get Homework done. As well as it always on a School Night. Though some people feel that it should stay were it is. I myself feel that, hey...leave the Holidays alone!! The Holidays come only once a year,and it's the 1 Night the kids can dress up and enjoy themselves. Also,it is what makes Haloween...Halloween. It has been on the 31rst forever with no problem...why change it? Also Parents have a curfew anyway. Any other thoughts?

vCash
    Well, I do and don't.
    Halloween is the best party night of the year and it sucks that it's on a Monday. I have no time to drink myself silly while wearing lingerie and animal ears and make out with guys wearing gorilla masks on Monday night! Silly work and all

On the other hand, Halloween on any day other than the 31st seems wrong.

(kids? Hallowen's for kids?)
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Nevada day is also on Oct 31, so usually Halloween is held around here on the weekend night closest to the actual holiday.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    No changes. Hallowe'en is All Hallows' Eve- any other night is just wrong. Besides- most of the kids are finished before 8 o'clock around here- the little ones start coming before 7.

I don't see the problem for one night of the year.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    We´re having our party on the 29th. Teachers need to just not assign homework or schedule any tests or projects due on November 1st. Problems solved
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    Halloween is my favorite holiday of the year. It is the one holiday I actually enjoy celebrating. And it's not for "just kids". I know many adults who enjoy it more than kids.

Any other day except the 31st would be a desecration of the holiday. It would be like changing some religious holiday like Christmas to the last Saturday of the month in December instead of the 25th.

I say "NO!!!" to any other day except the 31st of October.

vCash
    I like Oct. 31st for Halloween. The parties can take place before or after. I like giving candies to kids on Oct. 31st.

Let's go Anacode!!!
    vCash
    This year, our students have no school on 11/1 because of voting day in Massachusetts. It is a teacher's professional development day. In Mass, I think some of the towns will have the trick or treating on the actual day and some will pick one of the weekend nights for a specified period of time.

I have a random question and I might sound really stupid......but why do some people write Halloween as "Hallowe'en"? I have only recently started seeing it this way.
    Don't cry because its over...smile because it happened.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chele615 View Post
    but why do some people write Halloween as "Hallowe'en"? I have only recently started seeing it this way.
    i think it is a witches' mark

boo!
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I have a random question and I might sound really stupid......but why do some people write Halloween as "Hallowe'en"? I have only recently started seeing it this way.
    It's a contraction for "Hallow Evening" ... November 1st was once called "Hallows Day," so the evening before is "Hallowe'en." Wikipedia says it's Olde English. In US english, we use "eve" instead of "e'en."

It's called "Mischief Night" or "Hell's Night" in some parts of the US and the delinquents turn into vandals and firebugs (Brilliant ) The NYC Village Halloween Parade is a great public celebration http://www.halloween-nyc.com/

To answer the original question, Halloween should stay on 10/31 every year, imo.

vCash
    No.

I've lived in a few cities that have moved trick or treating (you can only trick or treat during approved hours here, but they are always on the 31st), but the holiday has roots other than trick or treating. Moving it would make no sense.

I also wouldn't support Saturday. The best Halloweens were always on Friday when I was a kid.

Liberal Furry
    vCash

That's the way I learned it in school many years ago- it was even on spelling tests.

I have always spelled it that way. Figurespins is right on the reasons- that's what we were taught.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    I lived in a town that moved trick or treating to Saturday during two daylight hours and kept that rule for at least 20 years. It was hard to get into the mood even as a candy giver. The local hospital would x-ray kids' booty, too, in case needles and pins were hidden in the candy.

vCash

Och she, laddybucks!

I'd say move it to January 25th, have everyone dress up in kilts, and hand out Haggis instead of candy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    It's called "Mischief Night" or "Hell's Night" in some parts of the US and the delinquents turn into vandals and firebugs (Brilliant ) The NYC Village Halloween Parade is a great public celebration http://www.halloween-nyc.com/

To answer the original question, Halloween should stay on 10/31 every year, imo.
    I've heard that Boy Scouts of America started the whole trick or treating thing to give kids something to do on Halloween besides vandalize their towns. I also heard that the whole razor-blades-in-apples thing was an urban legend.

I only hand out candy on the real Halloween. Anyone who comes to my house for candy on any day besides Oct. 31 will get nothing. It's okay to have parties before the actual day, but move trick or treating to another day? That's just wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    I've heard that Boy Scouts of America started the whole trick or treating thing to give kids something to do on Halloween besides vandalize their towns. I also heard that the whole razor-blades-in-apples thing was an urban legend.
    I think that is an urban legend. The origins of the custom are very old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallowe...ng_and_guising

vCash
    Well, as a kid in the 1960's/1970's, I remember seeing photos in the newspaper on 11/1 of trick-or-treaters' apples that were found to have needles/pins/razor blades inside them. I do think those were copycats perpetuating the legend. My guess is that someone once got an apple with a hole and made up the oft-told story that there was something dangerous inside and that set off the dumbbells who thought it was funny to try and hurt little kids. Sometimes, urban legends do come to life, but most people just give out candy. Who wants to have the cops come visit because of a bad prank?

There was a radio DJ for either AAHSWorld or Radio Disney who had kids call in to report THE WEIGHT of their goodie haul every Halloween. I had never heard that idea before, it thought it was pretty funny and easy to determine. Cute.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    we have several kids in my building now and I need to ask the parents if they plan to go trick or treating on the 31st or over the weekend. I want to make stuff, but it'll only happen if they come around on Monday. I hate the idea of moving Hallowe'en to the last weekend in October. It just ain't right!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I'm the mother of a second grader; we always manage to get our trick or treating and general mayhem finished by 8:00pm so our little goblin can be in bed by 8:30pm. In my area, the grade school teachers don't assign a lot of homework on Halloween.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    It's the eve of all hallows. As said, that's like moving Christmas to make it more convenient.

Some of the towns around here flat-out restrict trick or treating to between X and Y hours, so it's not usuallly the case the littles will be staying out late anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast