Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

http://www.fsvids.net/

I have a tv but I much prefer to watch online.

Nothing like Russian tv which usually shows all of the skaters and where the commentators don't keep talking bullshit over the performances.
    I clicked that link but it said I needed a sponsor or a sponsor-number in order to join - what's up with that and how do I get one? Do you know?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    I clicked that link but it said I needed a sponsor or a sponsor-number in order to join - what's up with that and how do I get one? Do you know?
    One of the current FSVids members can invite you. I'll PM you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Well the only coverage we ever get in Australia is the Olympics and even then it is pretty crap, unless you have pay TV and they showed everything on that. Still you then had to subscribe for 12 months of service. They used to show figure skating in Australia back in the 80s and 90s (usually just top 3 and about 6 months after the event) but we haven't had worlds or anything like that for years. So you have probably got more than what we ever had.

The worst part about it is it put the sport out of people's minds so our actual sport suffered here with decreased numbers. We do always get a slight boost around Olympics but one of the biggest boosts came with Dancing on Ice when they did the Australian version.

I think the video clips of the JGP has been a real bonus this year and they have posted every skater or couple. So that is fulfilling part of what people are wanting to see them do. In fact their latest number of subscribers is 2,683 (direct from the channel). And there have been 2,003,813 upload views. That is not bad at all.

I really wish they would have skating on TV more here. I know a lot of people (yes, mostly woman) who would watch skating if it was on TV. The Olympic coverage is ridiculous. Belinda Noonan and Sandy Roberts make me cringe, then last year we have Eddie McGuire and Mick Malloy calling Johnny a "poof". No wonder no one takes the sport seriously in Australia. And with so few people wanting to skate, the prices for training and session times are ridiculous (In Melbourne at least. In Perth it is much cheaper/more freestyle sessions).

End rant.

vCash
    Well it's the men in executive positions at tv networks, making the decisions on what gets shown and what doesn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Well it's the men in executive positions at tv networks, making the decisions on what gets shown and what doesn't.
    Errr... nope. That's not what's behind these decisions, to be honest. In the US, it's about ratings and target markets. Most US TV attracts women, and the reality is, there are way cheaper ways to reach the same women that figure skating attracts. As an advertiser, there are *way* cheaper ways to reach this particular target market. So figure skating loses out not only to higher rated TV shows and sports, but also to other TV shows/sports that get the same ratings, because the cost per target market eyeball in figure skating is higher than my other options.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12