Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

What skating moves do you dislike?

For me the I-spin is one of the moves I dislike in figure skating. It is not pretty; it's almost impossible to perform it with a straight back, and I blame Sasha Cohen for bringing it into FS.

There are a few others that I don't care for. Hydroblading, for one. It's not a bad move, but often it does not seem to have a purpose.

I am so glad that we don't have to watch the COP spiral sequence anymore. The spiral is one of the prettiest moves in FS, but under the COP skaters were doing variations of the spiral that were not done well, and had nothing to do with musical expression.

Lately the catch foot position has started bothering me, especially in the lifts and spirals. I would much rather see a skater display the ability to stretch and hold the position. A catchfoot seems like a cop out at times.

Also Besti squats, upside down split are not pretty positions. They show the skater's flexibility, but that's all.

Finally, I like the Biellman spin only if it is done well. Otherwise it becomes one of the moves I have grown to dislike, but then that could apply to any move that is not done well.

vCash
    Besti squats and A-spins have always looked hideous to me. Poorly done catchfoot camel spins are also ugly.

vCash
    The one where they fall on their ass.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    I don't like illusion spins because they seem very..."Vegas" or showcasey. I don't really like them in FW sequences either because they seldom go with the theme or music of the routine, it's just there to rack up points.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    broken leg sit spins

vCash
    As for the I-spin, I only like it when Sasha Cohen does it. Everyone else...

vCash
    I really don't like Alissa's variation of the I-spin.

This one.
    http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/thumb...3-13-10-44.jpg
    http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/0cLIw.../Alissa+Czisny

Nothing against Alissa or her skating, I just really don't like that spin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    I really don't like Alissa's variation of the I-spin.

This one.
    http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/thumb...3-13-10-44.jpg
    http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/0cLIw.../Alissa+Czisny

Nothing against Alissa or her skating, I just really don't like that spin.
    I like the speed, but it'd be so much better if she did something with her left arm. I know it will compromise her stretch, but it's so bad with her left arm just hanging there.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I consider that a Y-spin (not sure if that's correct). I do like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I like the speed, but it'd be so much better if she did something with her left arm. I know it will compromise her stretch, but it's so bad with her left arm just hanging there.
    I hate what she does with the free arm too.

vCash
    I do see what you mean about the free arm, though. I wouldn't say I hate it, but I see why people dislike it.

vCash
    quads, can't stand them

not crazy about crotch flashing ( a la Cohen, Czisny)

hate bad biellmann positions (slutskayaaaaa!!!!!)

hate kitchen sink spiral sequences

also not crazy about "I'm going to trim my hair with my skate" positions

you know, all the stuff CoP rewards.

vCash
    Twizzles in general but side-by-side ones in ice dance in particular.
    It rarely works with music and looks ridiculous, especially when dancers do it while grabbing their blades.

vCash
    Pretty much everything that is mentioned. Also, spirals with a hip height free leg, they feel like an anti climax.

vCash
    The catch foot spiral.

vCash
    The dog pee spiral

The Besti squat

The A spin (I take it this is the one with the butt up in the air)

The layback where the skater's foot is hanging down, looking like a kielbasa tied to her ankle.

The stuffed turkey sit spin where the skater is an a ball, ususally holding the toe of his skate. (Maybe should be called the Butterball?)

Side by side pair spirals where the girl's leg is way up in the air and the guy is struggling to get his leg to hip height.

vCash
    Lots of good (bad?) examples so far... My choices:

Catch foot positions in lifts and death spirals are evil.

Also, I can't stand dance lifts in which the woman contorts herself into about 15 different positions during the lift. It's ugly; at best, it looks like the skaters can't make up their mind what to do. At worst, well, it looks even worse. Ugh.

Basically, I'd rather see skaters hold a position and show some extension and nice lines. That goes for jump landings, too. There's enough time for transitions even if a landing position is actually held.

vCash
    When Speedy gets up and moves out of the stands while someone is skating.

vCash
    Pair spins that go CCW then CW - another example of point whoring that looks awful on the ice. 3/2/2t where the last double toe looks like a two year old could do. Head rolls in the required footwork sequence. Bun cutter in anything but a spin. "Smell my foot" sit spins. As said above, all the fugly stuff COP rewards. Sigh.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    I think it depends on the skater. If you don't have the speed, flexibility, or body lines to do a particular element cleanly, then it detracts from the program.

Also the movement needs to go with the music and theme. Funky bent positions may go with techno music, but not Swan Lake.

As others have pointed out, that is the biggest problem with the COP, elements are added to programs for their point value, not their appropriateness or the skater's ability to do them. However, adding stuff for points is always a problem with competitive skating. Pre-COP skater's were evaluated on the basis of how many and what type of jumps they did.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast