Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Why not just drink a smoothie?
    The majority of smoothie has more calories per serving than people think. The typical 16 oz of smoothie that are sold in the supermarked has about 160 calories per 8 oz serving, but who drinks only half a bottle at one sitting?

I find that eating protein doesn't curb my appetite either. Snacking on almonds sometimes help, but they are high in fat, even if it's the good type of fat.

The best way for me to lose weight is to go on vacation . I always lose weight on vacations since I spend most of my time trekking from one place to another and barely eat.

vCash
    The only time I think Slim-fast shakes are worth it is when you are in a rush and have no time for breakfast. I would keep a few cans in the fridge to grab on my way out the door any drink it on my way to wherever. It's better than starving all day and better for you than the drive-thru.
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    I think that it is important to determine if you really do gain weight once the summer months leave or if it is a perception. I know that my weight bounces up and down around 5 pounds every few months or so. And if it really is a difference or I think that I see my tummy pouch out more.

Then I look at my physical activity - have I cut down on activity because it is cooler or because of allergies or because there are more TV or on-line activities that I do.

Then I look at my eating patterns. It is sometimes easier to go out and get those healthy salads during the spring and summer when I don't have to bundle up or walk in cold winds. During the fall and winter it is easier to grab those more heavy calorie laden meals.

Spinner is right, the spreading out of meals to a 6 meal a day plan is good. In the US, we think we need the extra large serving because it is the "most cost" savings thing, i.e. a small or medium might be 1.50 but a large or extra large might be 1.75.

We also tend to over estimate a serving. Have you ever squeezed oranges for orange juice and looked at the amount of juice that is generated by one orange? yet most people think they need the 8 oz serving of oj, which is probably equivalent to 6 or 8 large oranges.

I did use the Slim fast shakes when they had the soy ones (orange and raspberry), but only for lunch. I ate chicken or fish for dinner with veggies/rice. But also did not totally deprive myself of a favorite snack or two a week.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    Yes, I'm a naturally thin person, but this has been the way I've eaten all my life. Eat small meals frequently (I call it 'grazing'), eat only when you're hungry AND STOP WHEN THE HUNGER IS GONE. We don't have to follow our mom's "clean your plate" rule anymore. Sure, there's the occasion when I go out to eat and partake of more than I should, but that's the exception, not the norm. I also make sure I move my body in some way every day--thankfully my job requires that. I like to find small ways to get some physical movement, like getting off the train a stop or two early, parking farther out in the parking lot, and ALWAYS stairs over escalator.
    I'm a naturally thin person and I actually feel SICK when I eat too much too fast. That certainly gets a person to eat small meals regularly! Although with the popularity of heartburn medications, I don't think it really stops some people.

If I go out to eat and it's too much, I save half for later. Saves money too.

I hate hate hate cardio but I love lifting weights. Unless you're lifting ridiculously heavy weights and are eating like, 5000 calories of mostly lean protein a day (yes, guys who bodybuild have to do this), you won't get big and muscular.

Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I think that it is important to determine if you really do gain weight once the summer months leave or if it is a perception. I know that my weight bounces up and down around 5 pounds every few months or so. And if it really is a difference or I think that I see my tummy pouch out more.
    Erm, I'm a skinny ninny and I can't even see a 5 lb gain on myself. (Obviously it would be a larger total percentage difference for me than most people.) It's really not that much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post

Erm, I'm a skinny ninny and I can't even see a 5 lb gain on myself. (Obviously it would be a larger total percentage difference for me than most people.) It's really not that much.
    I am thin as well, but five pounds can mean the difference between my favorite jeans fitting or not fitting. Not really visible to me or others, but noticeable in the respect that my pants are uncomfortable.

vCash
    I struggle with my weight all the time. Well, actually I don't struggle too much; that's the problem. I just love food and I love to eat. I've never stuck with a real "diet" but I did drop 40 pounds eating low fat. It took a year, but it was pretty painless. You can eat a lot of different things, including many things I really do love. I would usually eat cereal for breakfast with 1% milk, have yogurt for lunch and eat a good dinner--lots of vegetables, salads, pasta--that didn't leave me feeling deprived. Of course, I did get hungry during the day, but I get hungry during the day no matter what I eat. Everyone's different, but this worked for me, and it doesn't take much effort except reading labels.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    The majority of smoothie has more calories per serving than people think. The typical 16 oz of smoothie that are sold in the supermarked has about 160 calories per 8 oz serving, but who drinks only half a bottle at one sitting?
    That's why you make your own with protein powder, water and ice and maybe some sugar free syrups for variety. My favorite protein powder makes a 190 calorie shake and it's a lot healthier than Slim Fast.

To the OP, Slim Fast is a lot less healthy than Nutri/system. Read the ingredients on the labels. The other aspect is that you are really limiting the variety of foods you are consuming so you risk coming up short in certain micronutrients.

However, any diet that restrict your calories works.... to lose weight. The question is: can you keep it off? For that, I actually think WW is the best plan. It's the most like real life so you are learning habits you will use forever. If you are hungry all the time, I would say that you just need to give yourself more points and to accept that doing so will make the weight come off slower.

I think the best advice for anyone who has 25 pounds or less to lose is to eat your maintenance calories anyway. This way you are eating how you will eat for the rest of your life. The weight comes off pretty slowly that way, but it's more realistic and less hard on the body and there is less chance of triggering the famine effect which can lead to gaining weight in the long run.

If you need a program for the structure it provides, you can definitely use something like WW to do it. It's a lot harder to do with programs that give you pre-allocated food.

OTOH, if you go up every winter and come down in the spring without doing anything, why torture yourself with some sort of diet that makes you miserable? I go through the same thing myself every winter because the weather makes it harder to workout (most of my workout routines involve being outdoors).

I used to have great angst over it and torture myself over every pound but eventually I came to trust that the weight would come off. So now my focus is on limiting the damage and not using the winter as an excuse to go crazy eating. I also use this time to do a lot of weight lifting because I just don't have time to do it in the summer when I'm out biking all day on Sat. and doing a lot of swimming that I don't do in the winter. It's really hard to build muscle when eating at a calorie deficit so I take advantage of the fact that I'm eating at a surplus in the winter to build muscle and then I concentrate on losing fat in the Spring.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Carnation Instant Breakfast is cheaper and, to me, tastes better. You can control the calorie count by the type of milk you use. Throw in a bowl of unsweetened steel cut oatmeal, and I can get through till dinner.
    That sounds really bland...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I did WW, but I hated having to journal, which lead to obsessing over food. It did work, but it isn't sustainable in the long run for me. If everything had a calorie label and portion measure, then sure.

In August, I tried low-carb, and I dropped almost 10 pounds in three weeks. Once I got past a few days with no pasta or bread, it wasn't that hard to maintain. I do miss cereal, though. Not having to count calories is wonderful. I've only lost another 3 pounds since that initial drop (water weight, mostly) but I haven't been very strict with the diet. At least the first 10 is staying off!

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    I have no dieting advice, but there is a hypothesis that people are more inclined to gain weight this time of year in preparation for the long winter. Something about our ancestors and limited availibility of food during colder months.

I'm another one who drinks Instant Breakfast. It's not for calorie/weightloss reasons. I'm not a big breakfast person at all and it's something rather than nothing at all. I do have to eat lunch though.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I did WW, but I hated having to journal, which lead to obsessing over food. It did work, but it isn't sustainable in the long run for me. If everything had a calorie label and portion measure, then sure.
    I had the exact same problem--I hate keeping a food journal, and I found it made me think about food all of the time. Not good!

I need to lose about 100 pounds, and I'd love to use the mindful eating concept, combined with eating a better/more balanced diet. I'm going to use this book as my support: http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Diet-Solu.../dp/0848731735

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I am thin as well, but five pounds can mean the difference between my favorite jeans fitting or not fitting. Not really visible to me or others, but noticeable in the respect that my pants are uncomfortable.
    Oh, I had to get rid of several pairs of jeans earlier this year because I got a tummy back. But now my jeans are on the "looser" side of fitting instead of the "tighter" side of fitting which is what my old jeans were.

I really dislike tight pants (ESPECIALLY the high-waisted stuff), because I can't eat or sit comfortably in them.

vCash
    You say you gain weight in the Fall and lose weight in the Spring. I'd be curious as to what changes with the season - eating habits, exercise habits, sleep, stress?

vCash
    Bouncing around from one diet fad to another tends to seriously screw up your metabolism and overall health, making it more and more difficult to lost weight.

Eat healthy, all the time, and while you won't lose weight quickly, it'll happen.

Patience is the only real way to go about losing weight.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I did WW, but I hated having to journal, which lead to obsessing over food. It did work, but it isn't sustainable in the long run for me. If everything had a calorie label and portion measure, then sure!
    I have friends who swear by WW, but honestly, I look at the points (and any really serious calorie-counting system as well) and think "So I can pay for the privilege of substituting one eating disorder for another Yay!"

If you're at all prone to eating disorders, don't do calorie counting, WW, or anything else that plays to the OCD part of your brain. Eat smaller portions (if it looks too small, that's right) and more 'healthy' foods and listen when your body says it's hungry or thirsty. I find it helpful to go on the 'what looks good' system--right now I'm on an apple kick because it's apple season, so everyone is selling local apples.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    The majority of smoothie has more calories per serving than people think.
    I'm talking about a homemade one. I've never bought a smoothie from the supermarket. They're so easy to make at home, and taste much better, plus I like to know what I'm actually putting in to my body.

vCash
    I'll also add that for me, the fewer ingredients the better--and eat REAL food. I have no problem using real unsalted butter (*1* ingredient) as opposed to some substitute or margarine--yuck.

vCash
    Not sure where you live but my daughter and I are on the Metabolic Research Center diet. (www.metabolicresearchcenter.com)

It's real food and it's lots of food. The funny thing is that everyone is saying exactly what I've always thought and was told ie. eat smaller portions, excersise etc. But really for your body to burn calories it has to have more than it needs.

We don't count calories. Matter of fact, the only calorie content limited food we have is a 40 calorie bread.

Pretty much this is your meals:

Breakfast: starch and protein

Lunch: protein, veggie, and fruit

Supper: protein, veggie, and starch

Plus you never eat a starch and fruit together. Portion size is 6oz. of protein (except hard cheese that's 3 oz. and eggs is 2 medium), fruit varies according to what it is, and veggies are 4 oz. cooked/8oz. raw/6oz. combined.

It's easy and habit changing. I've lost 50 pds and my daughter has lost 37.5 pds since June 25th.
    Have you hugged your kids and told them you love them today?

vCash
    Does anybody know anything about the HCG 5000 diet? My boyfriend's been wanting to lose a few pounds and heard an ad on the radio and called right away. It's some droplets you take before every meal, and is suppose to drop multiple pounds per day. I was skeptical about it to start (as I am with all of those weight loss supplements), and after he received it in the mail, we were reading the directions and there is a 500-calorie per day limit. I'm not at all convinced about this stuff (especially because you're basically starving yourself), and as far as I am concerned, 500 calories per day is simply unhealthy -- especially for a 5'11, 23 year old male, supplements or not. He's been trying to do research to try to convince me that it is a good thing and that it works, saying that Dr. Oz endorsed it, etc, but I am doubtful my opinion will change.

vCash
    that diet CANNOT be good. 500 calories a day and drop multiple lbs per day?! It might work for a few days but once you start eating again, every pound will come back, maybe more. Your body will go into starvation mode and resort to storing a majority of your calories as fat because it will not know when/how adequate your next meal will be. Your body will also start feeding off your MUSCLES.

Really the best way to drop lbs is to eat the right amount of nutritious food your body requires to function then exercise to create a slight deficit. 1-2 lbs per week should be the weight loss goal. Here's Mayo Clinic's calorie calculator to see how much you should intake daily then burn about 3500 calories of that per week to burn off 1 lb of fat.
    Last edited by myhoneyhoney; 10-25-2011 at 02:43 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast