Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Great topic!! My biggest peeve has to be the catch blade...it spans all the disciplines. I really hate it in pairs. What could be a beautiful lift position is ruined for me when they reach back and grab that blade.

vCash
    The Biellmann spin done by just about anybody except Denise Biellmann (especially the fugly and repetitive ones that Slute used to rack up points with).
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    I hate ugly layback spins where the leg that's off the ice hangs down looking like a capital "L". That leg should be higher off the ice and not so bent at the knee. That really bugs me.

vCash
    Anything that involves grabbing the skate blade.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Stuff without pointed toes really really really irks me. Also bent knees in moves that should have extension.

vCash
    I-spins, laybacks into Biellmans or other catchfoots, catchfoot spirals, hanging foot laybacks, that spin that Emanuel Sandu always did--with the butt in the air and the straight legs.

vCash
    It also annoys me when people are doing camel spins and transitioning into donuts and do this weird bendy thing since they can't do it normally.

vCash
    Hydrant spirals!!!!!!!

Ladies, get rid of it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    It also annoys me when people are doing camel spins and transitioning into donuts and do this weird bendy thing since they can't do it normally.
    Yes, the skater drops the free leg to meet the arm instead of keeping the free foot at the hip height which results in the gluteus maximus being the most prominent feature...kind of like Atlas holding up the world! Horrid indeed.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Ladies: Catch-foot Biellman-looking spirals done by any woman who has zaftig thighs. In other words, I hate to see 'Virginia Hams' gliding across the ice.

Pairs: When a man pulls the lady by the blade...she's doing a backward 'arabesque-position' spiral and being pulled along by the guy.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    Great topic!! My biggest peeve has to be the catch blade...it spans all the disciplines. I really hate it in pairs. What could be a beautiful lift position is ruined for me when they reach back and grab that blade.
    The new pairs trend seems to be to grab your blade during a death spiral.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    Twizzles in general but side-by-side ones in ice dance in particular.
    It rarely works with music and looks ridiculous, especially when dancers do it while grabbing their blades.
    Aww I like twizzles, not the catch foot ones though.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Hydrant spirals for sure. The only one I appreciated was Arakawa and it was because she held it up unassisted.

The new craze this year in spins is supposed to be the broken leg sitspin to add a level. Some people have it right, others (I think Gracie Gold was the one I saw) did not even come close.

And I suppose this is all encompassing, but I hate the footwork sequence now. It has nothing to do with the music usually, is overly dramatic and pained for no reason (Flatt EOE), and is 30-45 seconds of a program that is just a chore to get through (as an audience member, though for the skater as well). And WHAT does an illusion have to do with footwork? They took out the spiral sequence, I hope they take out the FW sequence next.

The Mike Pike. All he did was a forward shoot the duck, right? Why name it after himself, and I'm being serious. Otherwise, I should start calling my lutz the 'Louise Lutz', hell why not? It's usually two-footed and broken at the waist, so it's different from a usual lutz. But then again wouldn't that be the Isabel Brasseur Lutz? Damn.

And yeah, that butt spin. Oh god, the "Give me anal or give me death" spin. It's uncomfortable, and the focus is on the butt? I know skaters have cute butts, but this is just not good. The ONLY person I ever saw 'make it work' was Erik Larson. I guess you can say he offered his butt very elegantly and ungarishly. Even Dick Button was squealing over the spin at I think 1990 US Nationals (quel surprise). Here is the Youtube link, I don't know how to make sure it only goes to this spin, but it is at 3:37. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbX3tv560Jk
    Last edited by Louise; 10-25-2011 at 03:43 PM.

vCash

Here's the way you jump to a point in the YT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbX3tv560Jk#t=3m34s

you add #t=3m34s
    to jump to time equal 3 minutes 34 seconds

vCash
    There aren't any moves that I hate. As long as moves are performed with great form all is fine with me. What boring choreography everyone would have if everyone did the same things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    There aren't any moves that I hate. As long as moves are performed with great form all is fine with me. What boring choreography everyone would have if everyone did the same things.
    Good point. Unfortunately when everyone does the same 'creative' move, it does not remain so interesting, and eventually it becomes boring. Examples: Biellman, I-spin, etc. and the catch foot positions are taking away the beauty created by lines and extensions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Good point. Unfortunately when everyone does the same 'creative' move, it does not remain so interesting, and eventually it becomes boring. Examples: Biellman, I-spin, etc. and the catch foot positions are taking away the beauty created by lines and extensions.
    True but then you have skaters who try to get creative like changing the death spiral and the fans want to murder them with their own skate blades so the skaters really can't win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    Anything that involves grabbing the skate blade.
    Those catch-foot spirals done by the pair skaters were just dreadful. Thank Goodness the mandatory spiral sequence has been dropped.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Those catch-foot spirals done by the pair skaters were just dreadful. Thank Goodness the mandatory spiral sequence has been dropped.
    The catch-foot lifts done by pairs these days are even more dreadful.

vCash
    I see someone beat me to the Besti squat. It always looks makes a skater look like s/he is taking a dump.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast