Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    a monkey stole my title
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Awww. I liked them. But glad Unknown Jeremy/Sandy made it since they were my predictions.
    I was thinking that if the unknowns had come in last, it would have felt like a non elimination

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BelleBway View Post
    I was thinking that if the unknowns had come in last, it would have felt like a non elimination
    True. But I was still hoping the twins would scrape through. They had really grown on me.

I still like the Boarders, but some of the heavy handed Christian stuff is beginning to seem a bit creepy to me.

vCash
    I feel like they must all have been prompted about how they feel about their religions. It was just so random that suddenly everyone was talking about it.

vCash
    Bummed the twins are gone, they were growing on me too. Their screams over the elephants was amusing. Plus it is in stereo! Also loved how they did not beg and aware they were in a poor area.
    Boarders - are these the same guys as previous weeks. So strange how religion got mentioned so much by them, and in a way that turns me off.
    Bickersib - Jennifer - so much better comment on religion, plus they were gettting along much better, all the good will the boarders lost went to them.
    Grandparents - luv their joy over Armani and Marcus winning - so cute.
    Zac & Dad - something about them, I don't like. The Dad seems smug, but mistakes are made.
    The elephants were way cool, and next week looks promising.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1227 View Post
    True. But I was still hoping the twins would scrape through. They had really grown on me.

I still like the Boarders, but some of the heavy handed Christian stuff is beginning to seem a bit creepy to me.
    ITA. I gained respect for the twins. They never gave up. I also can appreciate the fact that they didn't want to ask poor people for money.

And the Boarders had me rolling my eyes at times. God's will? How about free will. And how about showing a little respect for other religions. But I guess God personally told them that the Bible is what makes everything clear. They came across as arrogant, narrow-minded, and disrespectful . But, they do play a good game.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Not excited that bicker sibs didn't get a penalty for the photo.
    racers use taxi cell phones all the time. I thought Jennifer was quite clever to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ks1227 View Post
    Yeah, at the beginning of the ep I was appreciating how not heavy handed the Boarders were about their beliefs...but their comments about the temple were very smarmy and disrespectful. I think the rest of their race in the ep was karma

I needed the twins to get the boot, so I'm happy with the result, but their joy at the experiences of the day was pretty fab.

It would have been so awesome if Laurence/Zach had been eliminated due to the bus shenanigans though Laurence really is a tool.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I see the boarders as being upfront and honest in their comments this episode, including those in front of the temple ... not even a bit disrespectful. They did not shout it, they didn't turn to the clue lady and "correct" her, they just continued to be candid and thoughtful. I can imagine Buddhists TAR Asia racers, standing in front of St. Patrick's Church in DC, thinking and perhaps stating the same thing as the boarders did.

Has the USA become so darned afraid of offending others that we cannot share our thoughts ... even our most cherished and strongly held thoughts -- i.e. religion? Or, per conversation here, is it a problem only when it's Christianity being shared?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Has the USA become so darned afraid of offending others that we cannot share our thoughts ... even our most cherished and strongly held thoughts -- i.e. religion? Or, per conversation here, is it a problem only when it's Christianity being shared?
    No. I find that kind of arrogance offputting regardless of the person's religion. There are different ways of sharing thoughts. Some ways come across as arrogant and narrow-minded and some don't. The sister managed to express the fact that she disagreed with the Buddhist religion without coming across as arrogant and disrespectful. She was the one who came across as "thoughtful," not the Boarders. Oddly, she was my least favorite contestant coming into tonight's show and the Boarders were my favorite. I think we saw new sides of some of the contestants tonight.

And the idea that it is the Christians in this country who are the ones treated so poorly when they express their religious beliefs is really absurd.
    Last edited by Allskate; 10-24-2011 at 07:31 AM.

vCash
    Zach might be a good racer, if he didn't have to deal with his controlling "know-it-all" Dad.
    I feel sorry for him.

fragrance free
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Zach might be a good racer, if he didn't have to deal with his controlling "know-it-all" Dad.
    I feel sorry for him.
    If your son has been around the world on his own, he is an adult and his input should be given equal value. I do wonder what dad thinks watching his attitude on TV. The producers are happy to show all the irony.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I can imagine Buddhists TAR Asia racers, standing in front of St. Patrick's Church in DC, thinking and perhaps stating the same thing as the boarders did.
    I can't. Buddhists, in general, aren't dogmatic about religion. Insisting that your religion is the one and only way with 100% certainty = arrogant + twattish.

In that sense, bickering sister came off as much more respectful.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I can't imagine it either. Some other religions? Sure. And it would be just as annoying.
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I can't. Buddhists, in general, aren't dogmatic about religion. Insisting that your religion is the one and only way with 100% certainty = arrogant + twattish.

In that sense, bickering sister came off as much more respectful.
    How on earth was anything they said offensive?

They were more than respectful, IMO.

This.

And in response to your second question, that seems to be the case unfortunately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    How on earth was anything they said offensive?
    They weren't being outright rude about it, but the implication was that the temple was ostentatious, the connection to god doesn't need fancy trappings, and how they didn't feel anything spiritual about it. Also that proximity to the temply wasn't shaking their faith - they know the one true god yadda yadda yadda. It came off as dismissing this podunk little religion (!!) and how they could rise above it because their god allowed them the magnamity to see beyond it.

Jennifer was far classier, simply respecting the different religion without needing to state how much better her beliefs are.

vCash
    ITA with Genevieve. And yes, I'd say the same if the religions were reversed.

I'm kinda annoyed they had to show that since it's brought my opinion of the surfers down when I had been enjoying seeing them racing well. Now, eh.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I see the boarders as being upfront and honest in their comments this episode, including those in front of the temple ... not even a bit disrespectful. They did not shout it, they didn't turn to the clue lady and "correct" her, they just continued to be candid and thoughtful. I can imagine Buddhists TAR Asia racers, standing in front of St. Patrick's Church in DC, thinking and perhaps stating the same thing as the boarders did.

ITA. Moreover, this show is heavily edited and they seemed to be responding to a question. People here are also transferring their own belief system onto the Boarders which is no different than what they did. Everybody thinks they way *they think* is the best. There is no best; no worse; there just is what you believe or think.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    They weren't being outright rude about it, but the implication was that the temple was ostentatious, the connection to god doesn't need fancy trappings, and how they didn't feel anything spiritual about it. Also that proximity to the temply wasn't shaking their faith - they know the one true god yadda yadda yadda. It came off as dismissing this podunk little religion (!!) and how they could rise above it because their god allowed them the magnamity to see beyond it.

Jennifer was far classier, simply respecting the different religion without needing to state how much better her beliefs are.
    I took it as a statement of "live and let live, we all believe in one true God, etc." I thought he was being rather accepting with his words, honestly. I'm pretty sure that's how CBS took it, too. I doubt they would air a comment that they thought could offend others.

vCash
    I do agree that editing is a huge part of the plot to any reality show, and I've enjoyed the Boarders up to this point and I am sure to think it again. It was just a tad disappointing - but as I said, I prefer to think that their uncharacteristic poor showing on this leg was karma They'll get over it and so will we (unless this is just a preview of the rest of the race...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I took it as a statement of "live and let live, we all believe in one true God, etc." I thought he was being rather accepting with his words, honestly. I'm pretty sure that's how CBS took it, too. I doubt they would air a comment that they thought could offend others.
    Have you ever watched reality shows before?!?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Have you ever watched reality shows before?!?
    Uh, hello, I'm an addict.

I've never heard a comment that was intentionally and blatantly racist/discriminatory ever aired on one of the shows I watch. For example. Jeff's comments in Big Brother never made it to TV (thank God).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast