Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    In the U.K. and perhaps elsewhere in Europe, the toe loop is sometimes called the "cherry flip," which suggests .... well, send me a PM if you don't know what it suggests.

In Russian, the same element is called the "тулупу," which sounds like "toe loop" but means "sheepskin coat."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Choctaw and Mohawk have always baffled me. All the other turns seem to be named after the shape they draw (3-turn, bracket, loop, okay twizzle isn't...)
    Choctaw and Mohawk are American Indian terms. I once knew why they related to skating moves but alas memory fails.

I've heard of the butt spin more politely called the "barstool" spin.

Euler - ??? not much of an improvement on 1/2 loop!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    You are aware that Lutz, Salchow, and Axel are proper, given names ....
    Yes, of course. That doesn't change the fact that lutz (and the associated flutz), sow-cow and axel/axle are funning sounding names for me.

In other news, I thought they called the a-frame spin a 'strawberry picker' too.

I'd totally forgotten Besti squat (sounds like a prenatal exercise).

vCash
    IIRC Choctaw and Mohawk were chosen for mnemonic reasons. Both a two footed change of direction turns. For the mohawk the skater maintains the same edge and for the choctaw the skater changes edge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    Choctaw and Mohawk are American Indian terms. I once knew why they related to skating moves but alas memory fails.
    I am aware that they are tribe names (the Mohawk are from the New York area, the Choctaw the South), I'm not saying they are weird words, they are weird skating terms.

If it is true that they were chosen for mnemonic for maintain and change, the turns might as well be named Mulberry and Cherry, or car and motorcycle, or any other M and C. I maintain that mohawk and choctaw are weird names for turns.

vCash
    I always thought Bunny hop was a rather silly name for a move. That's not how bunnies really jump, but it does help to identify a move when there is a name associated with it. Makes it easy to talk about it.

vCash
    I am aware that they are tribe names (the Mohawk are from the New York area, the Choctaw the South), I'm not saying they are weird words, they are weird skating terms.

If it is true that they were chosen for mnemonic for maintain and change, the turns might as well be named Mulberry and Cherry, or car and motorcycle, or any other M and C. I maintain that mohawk and choctaw are weird names for turns.
    I realize what the turns consist of...seems to me I thought there was a weapons component!

Prettiest names - Falling leaf, Ina Bauer, Star (lift, camel, etc.)

Ugly - Headbanger, broken leg spin
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Besti squat and hydrant position, funniest names and least graceful pictures on ice.

vCash
    Not weird - but when I first started skating I thought it was weird that a spiral didn't really spiral in any way. (I know it does in a death spiral - which when you think of it is a pretty awful name too!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    Not weird - but when I first started skating I thought it was weird that a spiral didn't really spiral in any way. (I know it does in a death spiral - which when you think of it is a pretty awful name too!)
    A spiral IS supposed to spiral. A true spiral is on an edge and thus carves a spiral pattern onto the ice. Technically a straight-line spiral in an arabesque position is not a spiral.

vCash
    I thought there was a spin or jump called "Camel Toe" when I started watching figure skating...a long time ago.

vCash
    I always thought "camel spin" was a silly name, and not at all intuitive.

vCash
    It's silly to call the LP "free skate" since nowadays it hardly has any more freedom than the SP.

Minecraft Widow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    A-frame spin/A-spin/Sandhu
    At Skate America 2002, I have heard it called the manhood spin!
    Cigarettes are like squirrels. They are perfectly harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire. -- @ciggybuttz on Twitter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I thought there was a spin or jump called "Camel Toe" when I started watching figure skating...a long time ago.
    I did not know that a "flying camel" had...er...other meanings...until I posted on facebook about learning one ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    A spiral IS supposed to spiral. A true spiral is on an edge and thus carves a spiral pattern onto the ice. Technically a straight-line spiral in an arabesque position is not a spiral.
    But not like a cinnamon bun - which is what I pictured.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateycat View Post
    At Skate America 2002, I have heard it called the manhood spin!
    I would like to see that caption under the slow mo of an element on a broadcast.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    Butt spin.
    Then again, it isn't a real skating term.
    What is it supposed to be called?
    I call it a kittycat spin.

vCash

When a skater asked me why they were called Choctaw and Mohawk, I told her it was because skating was invented by the American Indians. She just looked at me strangely. I also call the A spin the "Hello Boys" named after Australian funny men Roy and H.G. To me that spin screams Hello Boys. I also had a parent ask me why her daughter had to roll on the floor. I explained that a "right outside forward" edge also uses the same three letters.
    Speaking of jump names. Which jumps are not named after skaters?
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    Which jumps are not named after skaters?
    Toe loop, flip, loop. (But I think two of those are Rittenberger and Euler in other languages, as discussed above). Is Lutz?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast