Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Speaking of flips - there is a move that is a confusing term for casual fans- people expecting a forward or back flip instead of a flip jump.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    I call it a kittycat spin.
    I can see why.

vCash
    Many people who are not skating fans call the spins 'twirls'.

wannabe flower-girl
    Toto, I have a feeling we are not in Oberstdorf anymore...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Toe loop, flip, loop. (But I think two of those are Rittenberger and Euler in other languages, as discussed above). Is Lutz?
    it is:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alois_Lutz

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1227 View Post
    I always thought "camel spin" was a silly name, and not at all intuitive.
    When skaters first started doing the camel spin back in the days, their skating legs were bent, the free legs were bent at the knees and the feet pointed upward, and their butts were slightly higher than their upper bodies. So the spin sort of did look like a camel hump.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    Thank you.
    It's funny I've never even heard of the term A-frame. I guess butt spin is way more popular.
    An on line acquaintance called the I spin "The beaver cleaver".

She called the butt spin the "Orbiting Uranus" spin.

vCash
    Pancake position

Mazurka

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Not that I was a fan of the Mike Pike, but no one was doing a Shoot-the-duck in the Fratianne sit-spin position, which Mike did. I mean the "Hamill Camel" was really just a flying camel sinking down into a sit spin.
    No one?

http://i56.tinypic.com/20pwn06.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    She called the butt spin the "Orbiting Uranus" spin.

My coach jokes with us older skaters (as in over 13 yrs old or so....) and calls butt spins/A-spins "the planet spin" () in front of the younger kids, exactly because of the Orbiting Uranus nickname, little kids won't get it and if they do, they'd be shocked, so it's a little inside joke. Skaters who are just starting in the group lessons with this coach at our level get confused when the coach says "planet spins everyone!" and we go do A-spins.... I have weird skating friends/coaches. But that's okay.

vCash
    I like the name Twizzle - it always makes me think of an ice-cold fizzy drink with a cute swizzle stick in it. It's what I call a "fun" word!

Besti squat sounds like something one does when one is giving birth without an epidural...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    The "Triple Gillooly." (All credit to David Letterman, 1994.)

vCash
    To me, the silliest name is the Axel, which is sometimes called the "Axel Paulsen." Most jumps that were named after someone are referred to by that person's last name: Ulrich Salchow, Werner Rittberger, Nate Walley.
    (I don't think "Walley" is a silly name at all.)

Someone wanted to be sure that history credited the jump to Axel Paulsen and not to his brother, Edwin Paulsen.

What's even more interesting (again, to me) is that he did the jump on speed skates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axel_Paulsen

The silliest spin name is the "Flying Sit Spin" which is a jump-spin that starts on a FO edge and lands on the same foot in a forward sit spin. A "Flying Camel Spin" takes off from a FO edge and lands on the opposite foot to do a backspin. They're two different things with very similar names that cause confusion regularly, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    IIRC Choctaw and Mohawk were chosen for mnemonic reasons. Both a two footed change of direction turns. For the mohawk the skater maintains the same edge and for the choctaw the skater changes edge.
    I never heard that before and I agree that the mnemonics do make sense.

About.com outlined more colorful explanations for the Mohawk and Choctaw names from published skating history sources: http://figureskating.about.com/od/hi...mohawkname.htm

I always tell students that I can pronounce "Mohawk" my way since the tribe and I are both from NY, lol. MOE-HAWWWK!
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 11-02-2011 at 01:27 PM.

vCash
    In ISI, low level freestylers learn the "half toe-walley". Sounds like the victim of a lawn mower accident.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    The silliest spin name is the "Flying Sit Spin" which is a jump-spin that starts on a FO edge and lands on the same foot in a forward sit spin.
    I think it's a generic term for any sitspin that starts with a jump that achieves sitting position in the air, regardless of which foot it takes off from or lands on.

At least for junior short program requirements, and some past test requirements.

If you want to specify the takeoff or landing or air position, you need to use more words.

In other contexts, deathdrop or arabian/butterfly into sitspin is also coded as FSSp under IJS. E.g., the original name for the deathdrop was "open axel flying sitspin."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luenatic View Post
    The woman in the picture is NOT in the cannonball, aka Fratianne, sitspin position.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123