Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,399
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    68873

    Adelina Anecdote's

    With just a few weeks to go until Adelina Sotnikova's senior grand prix debut in the Cup of China, her preparations seem to be going well. Following on from what was reported to be a flawless short program in the Russian test skates a month ago, she has just won the 3rd Cup of Russia competition with a score of 196.99 (I have just placed the full result and videos in the Russia Cup Series thread in the Kiss & Cry area)

    All in all, I thought it was a very good competitive start by Adelina. She looked a little rusty, but it was her first competition of the year and I think she put in a solid performance. Its also obvious that her body has matured a bit and that she is still adjusting to that (as all skaters must when taking on the 'puberty monster').

    Elizaveta Tuktamysheva put in a similarly rusty performance when debuting her 2011/12 Short and Long Programs at the beginning of September and improved on that markedly to go on and win the Japan Cup with a superb performance. Hence, I think Adelina should do extremely well in the Cup of China.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 10-22-2011 at 09:04 PM.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    75
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Her major strength is her insane jumps imho.And it is sad that she didn't do them in her sp and lp((
    I don't know if she can compete for example with Mirai (who is VEEERY talented) if there is nothing she can surprise with=(
    My opinion

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,399
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    68873
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    Her major strength is her insane jumps imho.And it is sad that she didn't do them in her sp and lp((
    I don't know if she can compete for example with Mirai (who is VEEERY talented) if there is nothing she can surprise with=(
    My opinion
    I think she was skating very much within herself and I think we will see the fireworks come the grand prix. She didn't need to do more than she did in this competition. She looked rusty, as I said, and as with Tuktamysheva 6 weeks ago, she will very much benefit from having got her first competition out of the way. You can't expect perfection in a season competition debut. Rarely does that happen

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    75
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I guess you are right) It's just I'm very emotional hah)

  5. #5
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    State of frustration
    Posts
    560
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Uh.... any links? Or was she really that bad?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,399
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    68873
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Uh.... any links? Or was she really that bad?
    I have placed the video links for both her Short Program and Free Skate in the Russia Cup Series thread in the Kiss & Cry area as video links for current competitions have be placed in the K&C now.

    Both of Adelina's programs were perfectly fine for a season competitive debut (highlighted by her scores - 196.99 - SP: 64.78, FS: 132.21). Was simply a bit rusty. She left out the second part of her triple lutz triple loop combination in her short program, but added a triple toe to her triple flip so that she got a combination jump in. In her Free Skate, apart from a fall, the program was absolutely fine. Her body has matured a bit since Junior Worlds and that's probably why she has left her competitive debut this season a bit late. However, she will have benefited from these performances a lot and I think she will be more than ready by the time of the Cup of China

    Hopefully, she will not grow anymore for the time being and if that's the case, then she has undoubtedly overcome her growth spurt and will settle down and go on to have a great season. Indeed, she seems to have adjusted very well to her growth spurt. The name of the game now for her is to become 'competition fit'.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 10-22-2011 at 11:45 PM.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    75
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I asked Adelina if she planned not to make her combo.She said things went wrong((and that at practise she was doing everything fine

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,399
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    68873
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    I asked Adelina if she planned not to make her combo.She said things went wrong((and that at practise she was doing everything fine
    The fact that things seem to be going well in practice then would indicate that the only thing she is missing now is competitive fitness. That was the case with Tuktamysheva back in the early September and she then went on to win the Japan Cup in some style

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,004
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    She left out the second part of her triple lutz triple loop combination in her short program, but added a triple toe to her triple flip so that she got a combination jump in.
    Wasn't it a double toe that she added to triple flip?
    It will be interesting to see whether she has kept her triple-triples or they are MIA for good.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,399
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    68873
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    Wasn't it a double toe that she added to triple flip?
    It will be interesting to see whether she has kept her triple-triples or they are MIA for good.
    Correct - sorry for the typo

    I don't think the triple triple combi's will be missing in action for good.

  11. #11
    Mad for mangelwurzels
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    астрологически?
    Posts
    10,574
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    120942
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    With just a few weeks to go until Adelina Sotnikova's senior grand prix debut in the Cup of China, her preparations seem to be going well. Following on from what was reported to be a flawless short program in the Russian test skates a month ago, she has just won the 3rd Cup of Russia competition with a score of 196.99 (I have just placed the full result and videos in the Russia Cup Series thread in the Kiss & Cry area)

    All in all, I thought it was a very good competitive start by Adelina. She looked a little rusty, but it was her first competition of the year and I think she put in a solid performance. Its also obvious that her body has matured a bit and that she is still adjusting to that (as all skaters must when taking on the 'puberty monster').

    Elizaveta Tuktamysheva put in a similarly rusty performance when debuting her 2011/12 Short and Long Programs at the beginning of September and improved on that markedly to go on and win the Japan Cup with a superb performance. Hence, I think Adelina should do extremely well in the Cup of China.
    I don't think you know what 'anecdote' means.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,416
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Can somebody please get the unnecessary apostrophe out of this thread title. (You don't need one to make a plural out of a word ending in a vowel.)

  13. #13
    Mad for mangelwurzels
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    астрологически?
    Posts
    10,574
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    120942
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Can somebody please get the unnecessary apostrophe out of this thread title. (You don't need one to make a plural out of a word ending in a vowel.)
    Quite right, but this happens all the time on FSU. English is not everyone's first language.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

  14. #14
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    State of frustration
    Posts
    560
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Can somebody please get the unnecessary apostrophe out of this thread title. (You don't need one to make a plural out of a word ending in a vowel.)
    LOL. You want anything grammatically correct these days? I could of told you that's impossible. We all could of, should of been paying more attention to you're suggestion.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Heh. That was painful ()

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,416
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    English is not everyone's first language.
    Sure. That's why I tried to keep my post simple and instructive, instead of snarky.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    FSU Witness Protection Program
    Age
    26
    Posts
    28,062
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33027
    I find that the people with English as a second language aren't necessarily the only ones who make those type of mistakes.

    I work at a large city hospital and right in the door to the ER it says "Employee's MUST use side door". Sigh.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,648
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Or you could have just ignored the thread all together because you didn't add anything to the conversation.

    Anyway, I think Adelina will do well in her first senior GP, much like Yu-na did at Skate Canada 2006. She might not win with such a good field right off the bat but she will serve notice that she is someone to reckon with in the future.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •