Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Hello all!
    On artonice.it there is a new interview with Weaver/Poje, enjoy

vCash
    cheering and hoping for them as they skate at CoR this weekend. Does anyone have any practice footage?

vCash
    This should be an exciting few weeks for them. They should win their first grand prix event, followed by their first ever grand prix final medal in a couple weeks, setting them up perfectly for the Sochi podium.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by girlscouse62 View Post
    cheering and hoping for them as they skate at CoR this weekend. Does anyone have any practice footage?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_olgeIzXmno
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    We'll be cheering for them.

vCash
    Thank you, Sylvia. I really enjoy that this music and progamme so different from most this season.

vCash
    Well, that was disgraceful..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    Well, that was disgraceful..
    Would you mind elaborating, Pratfall? Not everyone has access to whatever you're seeing.

vCash
    Here's their SD for COR.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    The scoring sucked big time : There's something very wrong here, and it had nothing to do with W/P's skating.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Their scores were significantly lower than Skate Canada. They did not get several levels on their elements. Something seems really off...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
    Their scores were significantly lower than Skate Canada. They did not get several levels on their elements. Something seems really off...
    *Something* has been off in ice dance for quite some time. Either
    1)use the rules the way they written and meant to be used
    2) modify the rules to what you want dance to become and ensure EVERYONE understands what everything means or they don't get to be on the tech panel/judge or
    3) take it the hell out of the Olympics.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    *Something* has been off in ice dance for quite some time. Either
    1)use the rules the way they written and meant to be used
    2) modify the rules to what you want dance to become and ensure EVERYONE understands what everything means or they don't get to be on the tech panel/judge or
    3) take it the hell out of the Olympics.
    It seems speed is being rewarded above all else in ice dance right now. Nevermind that speed can come at the expense of looking like they lack control or show weak posture. Even Eurosport commentators are lacking to me this season: they didn't even bother pointing out that BS' twizzles were far from perfect. This need-for-speed is reminding me of the Grishuk Platov days that made me hate ice dance. SAD.

vCash
    I too have noticed that speed is more important than footwork this year which is really against my preferences but I didn't like the era where theatrical poses were the big mark getters either. Is there ever a happy medium?

vCash
    Tanith Belbin tried to be diplomatic but even she had to say she was "surprised" at the disparity between WP's and BS's TES marks. Has anyone looked at the protocols to see whether it's the tech panel, the judges or both who are putting in the fix?

vCash
    I know. It's crazy. I think WP are better than BS but . . . the judges say otherwise. Makes me sympathize with VM fans who feel judging is biased toward DW - they just can't believe DW deserve those scores! They believe in a fix. Thankfully, DW are in fact superior so there is, in fact, some validity in some judging.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    The judging in the SD yesterday was beyond reproach, and W/P got the butt end of it .

There's an interesting discussion about this going on in the Rostelecom Cup forum titled "From Russia With Politics." If you have access to it, SLIVER, who, IIRC, knows a good bit about the workings of the ISU/Judging/Federations (or some combination therein), has made some very interesting posts (one in particular about the Technical Caller for Dance at this competition) that are definitely worth checking out.
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestocking View Post
    Tanith Belbin tried to be diplomatic but even she had to say she was "surprised" at the disparity between WP's and BS's TES marks. Has anyone looked at the protocols to see whether it's the tech panel, the judges or both who are putting in the fix?
    I wish she would have been less diplomatic (I haven't actually heard her comments), I wish everyone would be less diplomatic. If everyone commenting that had access to a microphone and legitimate knowledge of ice dance, like Tanith, called this kind of behavior out on a regular basis, I think it could make a difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by amy8 View Post
    I too have noticed that speed is more important than footwork this year which is really against my preferences but I didn't like the era where theatrical poses were the big mark getters either. Is there ever a happy medium?
    Speed + difficult clean footwork is incredibly difficult and should be awarded, but anyone (and by anyone I mean elite skaters, not me) can fly sloppily around the ice.

vCash
    Oh, I posted that comment right after the SD and ran off to kick something. I don't want to transgress by getting into discussion here but that they were marked too low was only half the problem ..others were marked too high as well..

Katalin Alpern is notorious,as far as I know , and has been involved in many controversial competitions over the years.

If anyone has a link to the British Eurosport coverage , I'd love to see it . They were apparently very puzzled and surprised.

We'll see what tomorrow brings...

Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast