Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    vCash
    and sometimes politics is in the eye of the beholder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    But W-P really improved a lot. Maybe there next step will be show more freedom in there skating.
    I agree, and I think freedom is a great word in this context. I think that their accomplishments this season will be a major confidence boost for W&P (and I am not just talking about placements but clean/relatively clean performances--they have really improved in terms of how they compete). And I believe that confidence will beget freedom...they'll learn to trust themselves even more and really let go. Their talent combined with their work ethic and desire to improve is a combination for success

vCash
    Yes, the scoring in ice dance at Worlds differed from some of the scoring we saw earlier in the season (which makes sense given that judges don't always interpret guidelines the same way and teams improve at different rates throughout the season and are supposed to be judged on how they skate that day), but I don't think D&W are being given the shaft by the judges or being dumped for W&P. The callers at worlds were tougher on everyone. D&W received eight marks of 10.0 in their PCS for the FD, only one less than V&M...and the rest of the marks were very close. V&M did not unanimously win any category of the PCS (and D&W hadn't earlier this season either, so I don't understand why the marks at worlds were so shocking--the marks were close all season), and their GOEs were very similar to those of D&W. I love D&W and wanted them to get level 4s on those step sequences, but I didn't think they deserved them in the FD at this event. What we did see was a smaller gap in the marks between the top two teams and P&B + W&P than had previously existed. And we also saw W&P's score nearing the range of V&M at the Canadian Championships. and of course, there is the much-improved C&L who had an awesome season, as well as other strong teams like I&K, B&S and the Shibs (who unfortunately made mistakes at these worlds, but will likely return next season much better because of it) to name a few. Who knows what will happen next season? But W&P are, imo, capable of earning a medal based on their own merits. They are very, very talented.

Something that is so great to see is the growing confidence of Kaitlyn and Andrew. It is evident from the moment they step out onto the ice, and it must be very encouraging for them to see an increase in their scores that reflects the significant improvements they have made to their skating. Remember when they were being written off by some people? Well, they have answered their critics by increasing their speed, strengthening their edgework, and demonstrating greater stability in their positions (note Kaitlyn's core strength), all while taking their performance skills to the next level. I think they have righteously earned all the recognition they are getting this season, and I can't wait to see what they do next season.
    Last edited by Bournekraatzfan; 04-15-2012 at 10:45 PM.

vCash
    Yes, everything is in the "eye of the beholder," especially in figure skating.

Last season, the Shibs skated well and had great marks, but honestly who expected them to be on the podium? Who expected P/B to fall on an element and be marked down? Sure "politics" always plays a role, sometimes more, sometimes less. Certainly, politics entered into play big time after NA ice dance teams swept the 2011 podium. I'm sure many of the ice dance judges were spoken to or whispered to regarding the outcome, especially the fact that the Shibs were thought to be "undeserving" of bronze in many quarters... Ahem.

On the bright side, the ice dance competition at Worlds in Nice was so great with most of the top skaters performing excellently. On the down side, subjectivity and politics definitely played a role in the outcome. It simply can not be ignored that Canada was represented on the technical and judging panels while the U.S. was not. Nor can it be ignored that the Russians are pushing hard for podium spots in Sochi, in all disciplines, particularly ice dance, pairs, and ladies. The fact that P/B medaled and Joubert and Amodio placed high in Nice did have something to do with performing before their home crowd. I doubt that Artur Gachinski would have won bronze last year had Worlds not taken place in Russia penultimately.

Obviously, how skaters skate certainly counts, but all skaters know they can only skate their best and then wait in the kiss n' cry to see how they will be judged. Often skaters are surprised at high marks and/ or confused by low marks, or they nod their heads and wait to see if their marks will hold up.

vCash
    Wait - Isn't this the Weaver and Poje thread? I hope the fan who suggested "Je Suis Malade" has given him/herself many, many pats on the back. I have no idea how they can can beat the heat of that one, but I can hardly wait for next season. Go Kaitlyn and Andrew!!
    pug lover

vCash
    Yes, go Kaitlyn and Andrew! I am in love with this team. I also love D/W, and I enjoy watching so many of the teams. I hope Mitchell/ Islam and the Shibs will both come back strong next season.

A fan suggested Je Suis Malade? Perhaps W/P will listen to some of the music suggestions in this thread too. They have a great coaching team behind them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by puglover View Post
    Wait - Isn't this the Weaver and Poje thread? I hope the fan who suggested "Je Suis Malade" has given him/herself many, many pats on the back. I have no idea how they can can beat the heat of that one, but I can hardly wait for next season. Go Kaitlyn and Andrew!!
    I read that the fan who emailed them the suggestion was in the audience! He is from Latvia (Riga, I think) and travelled to Nice to watch them perform their FD. Can you imagine what an experience that must have been for him?

vCash
    For anyone who wanted more details on how Kaitlyn and Andrew's brilliant FD came to be:

http://apps.pjkwong.com/Blog/?e=7016...0Andrew%20Poje

vCash
    Thanks for posting that BKfan. I hadn't seen it before, but I have to admit that as pretty and attractive Kaitlyn is, I could not take my eyes from Andrew. Just goes to prove, an old lady can still admire youth and beauty .........in a good way though.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    Thanks for posting that BKfan. I hadn't seen it before, but I have to admit that as pretty and attractive Kaitlyn is, I could not take my eyes from Andrew. Just goes to prove, an old lady can still admire youth and beauty .........in a good way though.
    That's understandable
    You are so lucky to have met them in person. They seem like really lovely people.

vCash
    W&P's new ex:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsslfmlTQvI

Does anyone know who choreographed this? Love this program. They have better exhibitions than V&M.

vCash
    Wow, I love that. I understand their other number is to Je Suis Malade. I will admit I hesitated buying tickets to SOI this year but changed my mind when I knew they were skating. They have really kick-butt material - their competitive programs were my favourite this year. Me thinks - they're on a roll.
    pug lover

vCash
    OMG that exhibition is amazeballs. They skate with such abandon. Plus, er, you know... his shirt being mostly open didn't hurt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    W&P's new ex:

Does anyone know who choreographed this? Love this program. They have better exhibitions than V&M.
    Its look like you love traditional russian style in ice dance.
    This is funny - not russian team to use it, but canadians under Krylova - kudos to her!
    W-P show a lot off theatrical face expressions, wich didnt look naturally for me. This look like Anjelica face expression in "Carmen" . And they use it in all programs during this season.
    I must say i didnt like this exibition, because it show Keythlin posture not in good lights and this is sad. And overall in group numbers i could see how she is not so good like other girls (Joannie, Tessa) in skating.
    But i love there FD this season (most because they used the song, wich i during long time want to see in ice dance) and happy Canada at least have a team, who are not boring and use music, wich people love
    But i always prefer better skating to unnatural emothoins and even in 1998 i loved B-K FD most

vCash
    W&P's new ex:

I think Shae-Lynn Bourne did it, I remember seeing it on twitter. And aww I know I'm not really keen on V/M's Ain't No Mountain High, but their Hallelujah is amazing!!

vCash
    mmh, Weaver-Poje are the "pop" team of the moment, a bit like Bourne & Kraatz in the past (: and while they're obviously very very good, i wonder if at times they get a bit overrated for some kind of reputation reason, i mean, for being always perceived as the underdogs, for choosing the "right" music and for being coached by the team who is currently challenging the overpower of the not-so-loved Shpilband/Zoueva. by no means i want to put down the couple saying this though also, not a fan of Bourne's choreographic style, because nowadays it's not "new" anymore, but it's probably a matter of taste.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    I think Shae-Lynn Bourne did it, I remember seeing it on twitter. And aww I know I'm not really keen on V/M's Ain't No Mountain High, but their Hallelujah is amazing!!
    I kinda wondered if it might have been Shae who did it. There were certain parts that looked very much like how she would skate/choreograph.

Pani, I don't know what you're talking about. This program doesn't look Russian at all to me.

Shayii, I agree that Hallelujah is great. The other one, not so much.

vCash
    I like Bourne chore for Kiira Korpie this season.

vCash

Pani, I don't know what you're talking about. This program doesn't look Russian at all to me.

i think with Russian she meant the flamboyant-modernish style of the 90's, but yes, actually it's the "rock" style of Bourne
    well, an ex piece musn't be necessarily great like the competition ones (: they are done for the summer shows when the skaters don't want to spend many energies and rest a bit

vCash
    I kinda wondered if it might have been Shae who did it. There were certain parts that looked very much like how she would skate/choreograph.

I am talking about overall W-P style- over top face expression and over top drama even in exibitions
    But i agree - its matter of taste.
    And isnt this is great this style retun again?
    Its really interesting what will be next in Krylova group. She have two teams, who look very similar - W-P and H-D. And she have now 14 teams. So for me its question of the next seasin - could this group will be om top and show something fresh?
    Honestly W-P made lifts, wich Shae-Lynn and Anjelika did So i cant wait to see something new in next season from them. And will she improve her posture and skating? She did a lot of job, but need to do more for been on top.

Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast