Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    Miss Asada's jumps have been quite painful to watch for last couple of years though.
    She does have nice bouncy knees but knee action isn't exactly my definition of effortless skating. Then again, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
    What is your definition of effortless skating? Just curious~~

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    As for making things look difficult I'd nominate Butyrskaya. Her jumps never looked easy. Doesn't mean I don't love her skating though.
    Yes, she had lots of other wonderful qualities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    What is your definition of effortless skating? Just curious~~
    Great use of edges, flow over the ice, nice posture, all without too much upper body action.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    When skaters reach the level where their moves look "effortless"; the difficulty of what they do isn't always appreciated.
    And also quality.

Such as Kwan's and Kozuka's stroking; Czisny's spins; Takahashi's movement across the ice; Oda's overall skating (OK, except steps and jump counting)...

vCash
    Great use of edges, flow over the ice, nice posture, all without too much upper body action.
    Ah, I see. They aren't extraordinary criteria after all. But I guess you just apply them selectively.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Ah, I see. They aren't extraordinary criteria after all. But I guess you just apply them selectively.
    Are you wondering why Miss Asada didn't make my list, by any chance?

I think strength of her skating lies in her soft knees, but I feel that she relies on it too much rather than getting the most out of her edges. Some people may find vertical body action that results from this tendency interesting, but it isn't my cup of tea.

vCash
    Are you wondering why Miss Asada didn't make my list, by any chance?
    No, I just want to get to know your thoughts better. No sarcasm intended. I'm in a good mood today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    As for making things look difficult I'd nominate Butyrskaya. Her jumps never looked easy. Doesn't mean I don't love her skating though.
    I'd nominate Emily Hughes. Don't get me wrong, I appreciated her energy and attack, but the girl certainly let you know she was muscling through most of her elements.

Today, I feel that 99% of Lv4 spins and footwork look far from effortless which is a real shame IMO.

vCash
    It depends on the elements. Yuna makes speed and a triple-triple combo look easy. Sasha and Michelle had effortless spirals. Alissa and Stephane have spins. Patrick and Takahiko make deep edges look natural.

If we're including all elements, I don't know if any skaters have effortless skating overall. Everyone has a weakness in something.

vCash
    On the top of my head, Shizuka Arakawa comes to my mind, as well as Yuka Sato. Of course, Kim and Kwan as well, but I don't feel so at "ease" watching those 2

In pairs, Elena and Anton, though they're inconsistent they seemed to skate on air. It was breathtaking.

I too agree with K&P, and I'm sort of discovering G&P right now. I couldn't get them when I was younger and I thought their results was part of , but they're amazing and technically the strongest ice dancers ever, imho

I'll go with Kozuka too. I just think he's so natural...and Robin Cousins, amazing flow and ease

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    ...and Robin Cousins, amazing flow and ease
    Oh yesssssssssssssss

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Plushenko's quad toe always looked effortless, so the difficulty was underestimated.

I would add Yuka Sato's footwork and B&S's connecting moves (too many to list here) looked so effortless that they were considered easy.
    Ooh, love the mention of B/S' transitions.

Chan may be inconsistent, but "Take Five" at Worlds was the textbook definition of effortless.

I think Virtue/Moir fit this too.

vCash
    With all due respect to Japanese skaters, I find it interesting how they (eventually) win the boards though they never win polls.
    Last edited by RumbleFish; 10-21-2011 at 02:56 AM.

vCash
    I agree with butyrskaya making it seem difficult to skate for most of the time when she was competing...but somehow she's one of my favorite skaters and her short program at 2000 worlds is still my favorite short program of the ladies...somehow she made that specific program seem effortless...miss her!

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    When skaters reach the level where their moves look "effortless"; the difficulty of what they do isn't always appreciated.
    As in Kwan performing year after year in a way rarely seen today to only be called lazy ...

vCash
    ^^^
    This!

vCash
    Virtue and Moir. I was surprised how fast they were but made it look to smooth easy and effortless.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    Virtue and Moir. I was surprised how fast they were but made it look to smooth easy and effortless.
    They also have an ease with one another that comes with the amount of time they have skated together. I appreciate this kind of ease from many longstanding partnerships.

vCash
    Master of anything require the greatest difficulties done effortlessly, then achieve the easier elements simply, purely, often with some aspect of signatured originality that makes the choreography the performer's own.

From the Brits present: John Curry, Robin Cousins, Torville and Dean doing the Bolero....enough said
    Last edited by os168; 10-22-2011 at 02:30 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12