Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    RIP. Why some teenagers are so mean? There should be some kind of law or bylaw to deal with bullies.

vCash
    Seems like he had been such a talented kid. No words... RIP

vCash
    Heartbreaking. Just heartbreaking.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I heard this sad news yesterday, but the news item I saw didn't mention that Jamie had been a former skater. Beyond sad and there is just no words when this happens.

While not gay, I went through Hell during my School years due my various health issues and then finding out about the eye disease I have at 12 years old. What I and Jamie and every other kid who ends up w/a target on their back goes or went through in School is *not* bullying, but abuse. Until the terminology changes and we face what is actually going on in our schools, I sadly think nothing will ever change.

I still hear people today tell kids, "Well, I went through it in School, it's part of going through School and will only make you tougher in the end."

How many more kids do we have to lose before this changes?

My sympathies and condolences to Jamie's Family and Friends. May he now be at peace.

vCash
    So sad for Jamie and his family.
    RIP

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    We marvel at how many resources gay kids have over what we gay kids of the 70s and 80s had ... the Internet, an abundance of other role models and organizations. But, there is still a mountain of challenges to endure for a young person if he or she comes out. The closet that we "elders" were forced stayed safely tucked into was also a safe place ... usually minimizing (if not eliminating) the taunting and bullying. We were able to gain strength, and then come out later in life. An out kid today is still going to have to be strong enough to endure taunts, whispers, and jokes at a minimum. Bullying and threats, perhaps. That is a tall order for a teenager.
    The plus is that now there are more resources (and role models), but the online bullying means that not only your one high school can pick on you, but people from limitless high schools. Plus in my day, usually the bullying started and then stopped. Now the bullying remains in print online forever...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    From a Toronto Star article:

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1072227

students tried to stuff batteries down his throat on the school bus after he chose figure skating over ice hockey
    I don't know what to say to that. This was only a few years ago. He was 15 and already out. So courageous.

vCash
    How awful. No one should be subjected to such bullying.

My condolences to the family, and may he RIP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    From a Toronto Star article:

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1072227

I don't know what to say to that. This was only a few years ago. He was 15 and already out. So courageous.
    The people who did that to him should have been charged with attempted murder.

cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    This is beyond sad and heartbreaking.

RIP Jamie!
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    This is just so sad
    RIP Jamie. My thoughts go out to his family.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Tragic and so sad.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    This is a local story for me. They just had an absolutely heartbreaking interview with his father (a local politician) on the radio. So sad. RIP Jamie.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    cynus, will the station put it online/make it available for "non-locals? (I'm in the US.)
    I'd like to hear what Jamie's father said.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    cynus, will the station put it online/make it available for "non-locals? (I'm in the US.)
    I'd like to hear what Jamie's father said.
    It was the local CBC station, so it might go in the archives on the CBC site- I'll check later if you like- it was a short interview. If you want to search yourself it was the noontime "Ontario Today" show. Right now there's a phone-in on growing up gay. http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/daily.../cbc_radio_one

If a link for the interview itself comes up in the next day or two, I'll put it up.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Thank you!

vCash
    How sad. We might say that technology has improved our lives and while it has, there are some ways that it has harmed us. Social media and blogs take bullying to a whole new level and it becomes more permanent than the gossip mill that used to exist.

People should accept each other for who they are. I feel for the family and the pain that Jamie felt in this life.

vCash
    All I can say is this is so sad.

vCash
    His father, an Ottawa city councillor, has posted a statement on his website: http://councillorallanhubley.ca/

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    The people who did that to him should have been charged with attempted murder.
    Or at the VERY least assault. What the hell happened?

This really upsets me, and the old way of "boys will be boys" or whatever and a kid like this just has to be abused to an inch of his life? I could rant on how the American right wing does not want to include 'the gay' in the bullying criteria. But Christ, a kid is dealing with batteries shoved down his throat? I really can't believe it, or don't want to. That is not bullying, it's not saying bitchy things in the lunch line, that is assault and battery. What's with these schools that they will tolerate this kind of behavior?

I didn't see how he suicided. Did he OD? It's hard for a kid to suicide unless he jumps in front of a train.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast