Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Former Canadian competitor commits suicide

Ottawa Citizen article

Globe and Mail article

Jamie was a skater from the Eastern Ontario section here in Canada.

It's really disheartening to hear stories like this ...

vCash
    that's really sad

vCash
    how sad. May he rest in peace. I don't think I could live with myself if I knew my actions were responsible for the suicide of another. But then, I'm not a bully. There's obviously a degree of humanity missing in a bully.
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    My deepest sympathy to Jamie's family and friends.
    It's distressing that these "bullies" have learned nothing about the consequences of their behaviour from other similar tragedies.

vCash
    Longer article with quotes from Jamie documenting his struggles

[Jamie's words on the "It Gets Better" movement:]
    I don't want to wait three more years. This hurts too much. ...
    Heartbreaking. Life, as the poor boy said, isn't Glee. Despite things being better for LBGT kids, it's not what it should be.

We marvel at how many resources gay kids have over what we gay kids of the 70s and 80s had ... the Internet, an abundance of other role models and organizations. But, there is still a mountain of challenges to endure for a young person if he or she comes out. The closet that we "elders" were forced stayed safely tucked into was also a safe place ... usually minimizing (if not eliminating) the taunting and bullying. We were able to gain strength, and then come out later in life. An out kid today is still going to have to be strong enough to endure taunts, whispers, and jokes at a minimum. Bullying and threats, perhaps. That is a tall order for a teenager.

RIP Jamie.

vCash
    Poor baby. R.I.P.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Quadless
    vCash
    What a tragic loss. My sympathies to his parents, family and friends.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Vacant
    vCash
    Such a tragedy. My sympathy to his family and friends. RIP Jamie.

vCash
    I'm gathering that the internet and social media have collided to make bullying easier to do and in a more cowardly way -- behind close doors sitting at their computer. That combined with the in-person stuff probably feels like a tidal wave.

I hope there's some shred of good that can come of this via stronger efforts to collaborate to solve this problem.

If I was the parents I'd probably live out my life going around to schools telling a very poignant story. But not everyone can do that; it's very tough to be public about it and regularly relive the heartache of losing a child.

vCash
    Shocking and sad. RIP Jamie.

It must be so hard for his family and friends! My sympathies to them.

vCash
    Ugh, that was so difficult to read his sense of utter hopelessness. My eyes welled up.

I wonder what medications he was taking. Certain antidepressants can actually make teenagers suicidal.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    So very sad. RIP, Jamie Hubley.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    The word "tragic" is overused today. But here it is appropriate. For such a young person to have no hope, to think that suicide is the only solution is tragic.

If each of us in his or her own small and personal way can take on this tragedy by making our local world a little more open or nurturing for anyone who could be treated as "different" or "the other" then Jamie will be remembered in a meaningful and important way.

on the rink doing synchronized spirals with Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Shawn Sawyer, Alissa Czisny, Rohene Ward, Yukina Ota, Caroline Zhang & Mirai Nagasu
    vCash
    Soon sad may he rest in peace

vCash
    I read this very sad story and thought about some of the high-school-age male figure skaters I know, who often get tormented at school with homophobic slurs just because they are skaters (when most of them are straight). And some have dropped out of the sport, as much as they loved it, because they got tired of dealing with the abuse from their peers.

I can only imagine that the abuse would be that much more relentless for a boy who was out, *and* was involved in figure skating, *and* loved dance and music. I really feel for this poor child.
    Last edited by overedge; 10-18-2011 at 09:53 PM.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    This makes me incredibly sad but also very angry. When will society truly change and accept all children, regardless of their sexuality?

As someone who works with children, it shocks me how often I hear negative stereotyping from even very young kids. I have done my best to raise my own children to believe that tolerance and inclusion is the right of every individual but I fear many parents still do not pass these lessons along. I hope some of these parents read stories like Jamie's and realize the harm that comes from the beliefs they are passing down.

vCash
    This is really sad.. I knew he died but I didn't know he was a competitive figure skater.

YEAH!
    vCash
    There are no words.

vCash
    How terrible, I feel awful for his family.

RIP

vCash
    That's horrible. Poor baby. I hope his family is coping well. If he named any of his tormentors, I dearly hope they are punished. There have been too many stories like this lately.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast