Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    390
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    When are Candian Nationals...

    I think that Yuna and Joannie are in totally different places when it comes to THAT! Korea is sending Yuna no matter what happens at Nationals. Canada is not likely to send Joannie just because she "wants to go" She has to show up at Nationals and skate.
    I know. Yu-Na could have waited longer, but she made an early announcement, before the season start.

    Regarding Joannie, hurry up and call her up, t.mann!
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 10-19-2011 at 06:37 AM.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,333
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Not a surprise. Not many OGM winners come back for the next Olympics. She may still come back, who knows? Just not this year.
    And to be honest, she is the best comeback since Katarina Witt in 1985 !
    Sarah Hughes came back after her Olympic Gold, but finished in 6th at Worlds.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,118
    vCash
    1554
    Rep Power
    17003
    I think Yuna is done with skating, but her entourage is not.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    390
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I think Yuna is done with skating, but her entourage is not.
    Re your statement, I bet you're both wrong and right (in that order) and also, I would bet Yu-Na's fandom would survive your favorite's fandom. Not in your island world, but globally.
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 10-20-2011 at 02:46 PM.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    303
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    Re your statement, I bet you're both wrong and right (in that order) and also, I would bet Yu-Na's fandom would survive your favorite's fandom. Not in your island world, but globally.
    In a good way.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,118
    vCash
    1554
    Rep Power
    17003
    What's fandom got to do with it? She has obviously lost interest in training.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Good for Yu-Na. She should have quit as soon as she achieved her goal of the 2010 Oly Gold Medal. Do like Tara, ie., quit while she was #1.

    Hopefully we will see her in not-so-serious events such as Scott Hamilton's "ICE", whenever that rolls around.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 10-20-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,004
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    What's fandom got to do with it? She has obviously lost interest in training.
    I would appreciate it if you'd provide us your reasoning behind what you said, preferrably divided into 2 parts, i.e. 1) obviously and 2) lost interest in training.
    Last edited by RumbleFish; 10-20-2011 at 05:11 PM.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,118
    vCash
    1554
    Rep Power
    17003
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I would appreciate it if you provide us your reasoning behind what you said, preferrably divided in 2 parts, i.e. 1) obviously and 2) lost interest in training.
    My impression of Yuna is that she is highly competitive. She wasn't content to just win, she wanted to dominate. Last season and again this season she sounded/sounds indecisive about competing. I just get the impression that she no longer feels challenged by skating competition, and is looking for a new challege.

    I also get the impression that her skating federation and her fans would like to see her continue competing, so it is probably hard for her to say no.

    Not many elite competitors who take a year or more off from competing come back to their previous form. Plushenko came close, I can't think of any others. I am sure that she is aware of this also.

    She could make a career out of show skating, but somehow I don't think that is enough for her. She has plenty of other opportunities to explore, and now is the time to do it.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,239
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11734
    My impression is not that she is highly competitive, more greatly talented and she genuinely wanted to rise to the peak of the sport and loved skating up through the 2010 Olympics.

    My impression now is that after she won all the big prizes, her enthusiasm flagged, likely hastened by the relentless pursuit, expectations, and pressure the Korean media placed on her. Add in the whole mess surrounding her coaching, and I think the competitive fire just went out of her. I really think she only continued last year because she felt obligated to her country to do so. I think she's done, and I don't blame her a bit. She's a beautiful show skater, has had great success with her shows and performing, and she's fulfilled her national duty. It's time to enjoy life, enjoy skating again, and figure out what other things she'd like to do and be to make a happy Yuna.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    51
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yazmeen: I think you got it just right, a very good post. After she won the OGM her skating was just not the same, her laser focus and precision was gone. Who can blame her? She had climbed Mt. Olympus and reigned supreme with some of the best performances in figure skating history. It would be almost impossible to top that.

    I think it is extremely unlikely she will return to competition unless it is the Pro kind. For the next year anyway, she will find out what its like to live a more normal life. I hope she likes it.

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,173
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I think Yuna is done with skating, but her entourage is not.
    I think this was the case the night after she competed her long in Vancouver

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,004
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    My impression of Yuna is that she is highly competitive. She wasn't content to just win, she wanted to dominate. Last season and again this season she sounded/sounds indecisive about competing. I just get the impression that she no longer feels challenged by skating competition, and is looking for a new challege.

    I also get the impression that her skating federation and her fans would like to see her continue competing, so it is probably hard for her to say no.

    Not many elite competitors who take a year or more off from competing come back to their previous form. Plushenko came close, I can't think of any others. I am sure that she is aware of this also.

    She could make a career out of show skating, but somehow I don't think that is enough for her. She has plenty of other opportunities to explore, and now is the time to do it.
    I appreciate taking your time to share your impressions, but it doesn't really convince me how it is obvious that she has lost interest in training.

    In fact, she has said she will continue to train with the Korean team in Seoul. To me, this sounds pretty clear that she will continue to train while she engages in other activities.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    390
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    My impression of Yuna is that she is highly competitive. She wasn't content to just win, she wanted to dominate. Last season and again this season she sounded/sounds indecisive about competing. I just get the impression that she no longer feels challenged by skating competition, and is looking for a new challege....

    I have some different view. Yu-Na’s been a great competitor, but she seems of the type that doesn't like competing much. She's not a fighter type and I don’t think the desire to win or competitive drive was that important a factor in her success. IMO a bigger contributing factor has been her almost zen-like, austere attitude toward her skating. I think that’s what allowed her to keep the pressure to win from getting to her at Vancouver. Nobody knows if she would return to competition, but if she does I think it might have little to do with her wanting to win again. On several occasions she said something to the effect of skating itself still presents challenges to her, and that skating is her life.

    BTW, she skates daily in Korea, and reportedly the junior members get extra alert when she’s in the rink!

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,019
    vCash
    1561
    Rep Power
    4990
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I appreciate taking your time to share your impressions, but it doesn't really convince me how it is obvious that she has lost interest in training.

    In fact, she has said she will continue to train with the Korean team in Seoul. To me, this sounds pretty clear that she will continue to train while she engages in other activities.
    There's training, Rumblefish, and there's training. Yu-na might really enjoy going out here and training for an hour/two hours a day, or training a couple of times a week. But she may not want to train full time.

    It took huge amounts of work to get to her Olympic shape level and I think she realized last year half hearted doesn't work, and half hearted won't work with those Russian babies coming (either!!!)

    Not to mention the pressure/expectations.

    I'm sure it was an awful lot of sacrifices made to get where she's at, not only in the fact that she didn't have a normal childhood/teenage life but also not getting to be with her dad/sister. Now she's achieved everything in her sport and its natural she asks herself if the sacrifices are still worth it. And if its worth losing out in a normal college life too.

    I don't blame Yu-na one bit. Maybe a year or two from now Yu-na will change her mind, and have the passion again to really fight. But I don't blame her one bit. And I think there's a huge difference between training for shows/to keep in shape and training to win Olympics/worlds.

    I have some different view. Yu-Na’s been a great competitor, but she seems of the type that doesn't like competing much. She's not a fighter type and I don’t think the desire to win or competitive drive was that important a factor in her success. IMO a bigger contributing factor has been her almost zen-like, austere attitude toward her skating. I think that’s what allowed her to keep the pressure to win from getting to her at Vancouver. Nobody knows if she would return to competition, but if she does I think it might have little to do with her wanting to win again. On several occasions she said something to the effect of skating itself still presents challenges to her, and that skating is her life.
    Ugh, I don't know how anyone could enjoy the kind of pressure Kim was placed under. Of course though her attention/spotlight got her millions of dollars in endorsements. But still.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,004
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    There's training, Rumblefish, and there's training. Yu-na might really enjoy going out here and training for an hour/two hours a day, or training a couple of times a week. But she may not want to train full time.

    It took huge amounts of work to get to her Olympic shape level and I think she realized last year half hearted doesn't work, and half hearted won't work with those Russian babies coming (either!!!)

    Not to mention the pressure/expectations.

    I'm sure it was an awful lot of sacrifices made to get where she's at, not only in the fact that she didn't have a normal childhood/teenage life but also not getting to be with her dad/sister. Now she's achieved everything in her sport and its natural she asks herself if the sacrifices are still worth it. And if its worth losing out in a normal college life too.

    I don't blame Yu-na one bit. Maybe a year or two from now Yu-na will change her mind, and have the passion again to really fight. But I don't blame her one bit. And I think there's a huge difference between training for shows/to keep in shape and training to win Olympics/worlds.
    Well, I'm not saying she should nor shouldn't train like in a Olympic preparation mode. I was just curious why the poster was making such groundless assertions of one being 'obviously lost interest in training'.

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    390
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Ugh, I don't know how anyone could enjoy the kind of pressure Kim was placed under. Of course though her attention/spotlight got her millions of dollars in endorsements. But still.
    I agree. Who would like the intense pressure to meet huge expectations every time. She needs a break.

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,471
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    In fact, she has said she will continue to train with the Korean team in Seoul. To me, this sounds pretty clear that she will continue to train while she engages in other activities.
    If you want to remain competitive, you need to fully commit to training and not train while you engage in other activities.

    I also don't think that she will be back.

    Even if she will, it will be as a result of huge outside pressure and it might end up like it did at 2011 Worlds. And if she's supposed to skate like that, I'd much rather see her retire and not tarnish her incredible career with dissapointing, uninspired performances.

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,004
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    If you want to remain competitive, you need to fully commit to training and not train while you engage in other activities.
    If staying competitive means World Championship winning level, I agree that a skater would need to committ 100%.

    I also don't think that she will be back.

    Even if she will, it will be as a result of huge outside pressure and it might end up like it did at 2011 Worlds. And if she's supposed to skate like that, I'd much rather see her retire and not tarnish her incredible career with dissapointing, uninspired performances.
    I'll probably stay supportive no matter what she chooses for her future, but I disagree about 2011 Worlds. It wasn't her all time best, but I thought she skated pretty well. It wasn't good as her 2010 Vancouver skaters, which was extraordinary even for her lofty standards.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,471
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I'll probably stay supportive no matter what she chooses for her future, but I disagree about 2011 Worlds.
    Surprise surprise.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •