Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Sadly, for most public figures coming out is an extremely risky career move, which in the vast majority of cases doesn't pay off.

If you're a hunky movie actor, you want to project a clean hut heterosexual image for your target audience and the sponsors.

Same for singers, athletes, etc.

It's a very sad state of affairs. Because even in places which are very tolerant, it's the same issue, as it's more the result of business/marketing and less of prejudice.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    OK, he's a gay man, but is he a Gay American?
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    He's one hot gay earthling...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Considering he has Leonard Nimoy's stamp of approval, I can't think who else they'd get.
    That is great, then. His resemblance to Nimoy is uncanny.

Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    I take it you are unaware of the Kirk/Spock fan fic.
    Can't say I have read it; most fanfic, IMO, is pretty wretchedly written stuff.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Zachary Quinto Comes Out

Score another for my team!
    OMG, this just made my freaking day! I've had my suspicions for a while and I'm so glad to find that they are true. I've been in love with him since So NoTORIous on VH1 and his role as Sylar on Heroes only made my infatuation grow stronger as he was my favorite character on that show. It doesn't hurt either that he is absolutely gorgeous and a beautiful human being as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    I take it you are unaware of the Kirk/Spock fan fic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Can't say I have read it; most fanfic, IMO, is pretty wretchedly written stuff.
    Rex - Speculation of the Kirk and Spock relationship was one of the original driving forces behind fan fic in the 1960's, and that little / was the origin of the term "slash fic".

vCash
    So hot, I'm fainting!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    OMG, this just made my freaking day! I've had my suspicions for a while and I'm so glad to find that they are true.
    I also believe that I will date him one day.

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Wandering Goy
    vCash

From your mouth to Spock's (ahem) ears.

Seriously, good for him. I feel sure that Mr. Nimoy, not to mention Mr. Takei, and the majority of Trek actors of any generation will be very proud of him.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post

Seriously, good for him. I feel sure that Mr. Nimoy, not to mention Mr. Takei, and the majority of Trek actors of any generation will be very proud of him.
    MARY!!!!

vCash
    Come on, it was not real news, was it ?

And I doubt a lot of trekkies would give that movie the honors
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    MARY!!!!
    Speaking.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    Isn't it kind of sad that people still have to think about coming out or not or whatever?
    I don't know, something just feels wrong about that. A jazz teacher of mine was talking about "his partner" recently. Male partner as was obvious from what he said but he talked about him as another one mentions her husband and I think that's how it should be.
    Whether someone's with a he or she or an alien should matter only to the persons concerned, in my opinion, and there should be no need for coming out or not. No one has to come out about being straight, right? So why is it such a "big deal" that someone's gay? Love is love isn't it?
    I agree that this shouldn't be a big deal one day. However, in this day and age, members of the LGBTQ community are still ostracized and marginalized from the mainstream and I think it's a great thing when celebrities like Zachary Quinto are willing to proudly proclaim their sexual identity. Having public figures do so (respected or at least non-controversial ones) may help mainstream culture grow a little more tolerant and accepting of LGBTQ individuals and help those who are part of the community to embrace themselves rather than fall into a trap of self-hate. People tend to have heroes/role models in different facets of life and it'd be nice for LGBTQ youth to have role models who are able to be comfortable with being "out" and yet still manage to successfully balance that part of their lives to their professional and even casual part of their lives (which I know many people who are still unsure how to do that) to pave the way for them.

Quinto said that what inspired him to make a public declaration was the suicide of Jamey Rodemeyer. What really made Quinto go over the edge, so to speak, was that Rodemeyer committed suicide after he made a "It Gets Better" video, a video campaign Quinto took a part of before he officially came out (his video had a tone of someone who was more a supporter than someone who lived as a homosexual individual). He said after Rodemeyer's suicide that it wasn't enough for him to be a supporter of the movement anymore but he needed to publicly embrace his own sexual identity because continuing to publicly hide it wasn't sending the right message and was preventing him from fully giving to the cause he cared deeply about. I think he personally couldn't live with the contradiction anymore.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Can't link to it as i'm reading it off my phone but George Takei made me with this tweet:
    Set your phasers to "Stunning!" Zach Quinto comes out, doubling the number of the out Trek Family

vCash
    Speaking.
    You've been HEARD!!!

Hopefully, more will come out, but I doubt that it will start a trend...the fraus of Middle America don't like shelling out to go watch their leading menfolk and ladyfolk make lurve onscreen, knowing that they play for the other team. Personally, I think that is not too realistic, but that's America.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Don't worry, ladies. You still have George Clooney, Bradley Cooper, Will Smith, Channing Tatum, Richard Gere, Ryan Phillipe... You gotta let us fellas have one or two!

vCash
    I don't like any of those men.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I don't like any of those men.
    Greedy.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Hopefully, more will come out, but I doubt that it will start a trend...the fraus of Middle America don't like shelling out to go watch their leading menfolk and ladyfolk make lurve onscreen, knowing that they play for the other team. Personally, I think that is not too realistic, but that's America.
    I wonder how true that is though. I know that's what actors are TOLD by their agents and other advisors and why they struggle with coming out. But I think it's a lot like the FS world when most people know anyway if a skater is gay and when/if they do come out, the result is often kind of "ho hum, tell me something I didn't know."

I think a lot of the general public just doessn't care that much... celebrities live in this weird "other" kind of world that has no relationship to our own lives... and I think we like it that way.

Let's put it this way: french kissing her brother didn't stand in the way of guys lusting after Angelina Jolie. Why would Quinto being gay get in the way of me lusting after him (if he was my type)? He lives in Hollyweird-land and I'm never going to have a real relationship with him so why not have a fantasy where I get him to play for my team?

Any relationship I'd have with him, straight or gay, is going to be a fantasy either way.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast