Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash

Get Back to Work?

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/10..._lnk2%7C104571

Wow! It okay to take a break for this. Really! (Worker told to stop CPR on a colleague and get back to work)
    Last edited by mmscfdcsu; 10-15-2011 at 03:57 AM.

vCash
    I can't imagine how that manager can look himself in the mirror each day, or what in the world Time Warner communications is thinking.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    You know, even if we buy both that they have a policy to not let employees give emergency response because of liability AND they don't know about the Good Samaritan law (not as completely unreasonable as it seems; the Good Samaritan laws are because you can kill or make an injured person worse really easily, especially with chest compressions), the correct way to say it is not "Get back to helping customers." At the worst it's "Call 911." Don't they have an automated defibrilator? Even our office has one. Yeah, if her heart is STOPPED it would just tell you to start compressions (unlike on TV shocking doesn't help if they're flatlined) but if shocking would help it could have saved her. We all know where ours is and had to be shown how it works as part of our training. And we're teeny. Don't they have any kind of policy? Are Time Warner employees just supposed to ignore colleagues who keel over? Remind me never to work there.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I don't even know what to say...

That is disgusting. If they have rules in place then they are horrible rules.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Wow.

And FTR, if I were the person needing CPR, I probably wouldn't care if someone broke a rib. If it's that or waiting to see if I live long enough for the paramedics to get there, I think I'd take my chances on someone who may or may not have had CPR training.

vCash
    I hope the family of the deceased sues Time Warner for their "procedures in place". However, nothing can replace the family member they lost.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    *gobsmacked*

That freaking asshat of a supervisor needs to be hung out to dry, and Time/Warner needs to seriously review and revise their so-called "policy."

Unfortunately, asshats like this exist in several places. I found out from my former supervisor at the store where I used to work, an employee fell in the stockroom and couldn't get up. Because no one heard her hollering for help due to the cutbacks on the number of employees on the floor (the closes employee to the stockroom was at least 60 feet away from the door), she was in there for 45 minutes before someone found her. When the store manager found out what happened, rather than call the paramedics, have an employee take her to the hospital. or - novel idea here - him drive her, he made her wait until her husband could pick her up and take her to the ER .

It turned out she wrenched her back and suffered a severe break to her collarbone.

As much as I enjoyed my co-workers and what I did there (as well as needing that job), I am so glad that I no longer work with that jerk-off.

WTF is wrong with some people?!

vCash
    When I saw the workplace was Time-Warner I was not surprised at all. Disgusted yes but not surprised.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Here's the link to the original story from WOIO Channel 19 (Cleveland, Ohio's CBS Affiliate):

Video.

What the AOL article did not state was that Time Warner offers CPR classes, which makes the supervisor's order more .

The most galling part, however, is that the Call Center *had* an on-site defibrillator, but it was locked in a closet, and the sole person who had a key to it was not in the building when this happened .

As for this:

"Time Warner responded appropriately to a medical emergency. Our company has procedures in place to respond to emergencies. We are saddened by the loss of one of our employees who was a co-worker and a friend. Our thoughts are with the family during this difficult time."
    "Our thoughts are with the family…." My fat, middle-aged, white ass it is . I really hope that the police are truly looking into finding some way of bringing charges of Gross Negligence or something along those lines. While I'm not one for promoting the litigiousness in this country for the sake of bringing in a quick buck, this is one case that I would hope that the family has legitimate grounds to sue the Supervisor and/or Time Warner in civil court.

vCash
    I suspect they've opened themselves to many lawsuits, from multiple entities.
    Beneath contempt!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Here's the link to the original story from WOIO Channel 19 (Cleveland, Ohio's CBS Affiliate):

Video.

What the AOL article did not state was that Time Warner offers CPR classes, which makes the supervisor's order more .

The most galling part, however, is that the Call Center *had* an on-site defibrillator, but it was locked in a closet, and the sole person who had a key to it was not in the building when this happened .

As for this:

"Our thoughts are with the family…." My fat, middle-aged, white ass it is . I really hope that the police are truly looking into finding some way of bringing charges of Gross Negligence or something along those lines. While I'm not one for promoting the litigiousness in this country for the sake of bringing in a quick buck, this is one case that I would hope that the family has legitimate grounds to sue the Supervisor and/or Time Warner in civil court.
    Usually I criticize the frivolous lawsuits, but in this case I really hope the supervisor and Time Warner get sued for their gross negligence, and total lack of concern for the life of a human being. Which customer was more important than the employee who was struggling to survive?

vCash
    When I taught CPR, many people had concerns about breaking ribs and any difficulty they might be in if the harmed the person while giving CPR. In addition to discussing the Good Samaritan Laws, I would say: what would happen if you didn't initiate CPR, death. For a manager or company to say get back to work is inexcusable.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I'm kind of surprised she listened to the manager. If someone told me to stop CPR, I would have just assumed he was one of those people who get hysterical in a crisis and ignored him. Or told him to call 911. (That's one of the things they train you to do in certain first aide classes -- give everyone a job to do. It makes sure certain jobs get done and also keeps people busy so they don't do more harm than good.)

She must have really been scared for her job.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Presumably next to the fire extinguisher, the tornado evacuation policy, the emergency numbers...yeah, brilliant place to put it. (Ours on campus are in glass boxes with red lights on the top mounted on the wall in places with signs saying there is a station there.)

I kind of wish I had Time Warner's crappy cable (I live in the country, so I have satellite) just so I could cancel it and tell them why...

vCash
    Have gotten several tweets on this today. Did my part and re-tweeted. I hope the gal who tried to help gets a better job with more money. No way someone that responsible should be stuck in the TWC puppy mill.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    ...Don't they have an automated defibrilator? Even our office has one. Yeah, if her heart is STOPPED it would just tell you to start compressions (unlike on TV shocking doesn't help if they're flatlined) but if shocking would help it could have saved her. We all know where ours is and had to be shown how it works as part of our training. And we're teeny. Don't they have any kind of policy? Are Time Warner employees just supposed to ignore colleagues who keel over? Remind me never to work there.
    As Cyn said, they did have an automated defibrilator. Just down the hall. In a locked room.

The only person who had the key was not in the building.

This company is in for a lawsuit.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Usually I criticize the frivolous lawsuits, but in this case I really hope the supervisor and Time Warner get sued for their gross negligence, and total lack of concern for the life of a human being. Which customer was more important than the employee who was struggling to survive?
    This kind of situation is EXACTLY why lawsuits exist. Disgusting.

Quadless
    vCash
    There are no words.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    The difference is this wouldn't be a frivolous lawsuit, it would be a completely justified one. And it's not like TW doesn't have the $$$... that's all they care about.

If it were me, I would have told the supervisor to STFU, call 911, and otherwise stop interfering, or else he/she would end up in the ambulance right next to the employee getting the CPR.

Loved this comment from the link:

Perhaps the supervisor who ordered the CPR giving employee back to work should feel proud that when the day comes when he may need CPR at work, that the staff will keep right on working.
    ETA:

Was reading the rest of the comments and came across this one:

Any morally decent human being would have told their boss the go straight to hell. Who's the real villian in this story....the person trying to save a life or the boss that said get back to work? How about both of them? Only in America, the..... "all about me, me, me" society ......do we make such selfish and inhuman choices as to save a life or keep a job. Look at the choices that were made here. What fools.
    Gave me pause to think, that's for sure. I mean, please... I live in probably the most "at will" of the at-will employment states (you can be fired for anything that doesn't cross legal discrimination classification lines), but I think even NYS Dept. of Labor would call it wrongful termination if an employee was fired for stopping work to give First Aid treatment to someone.
    Last edited by Karina1974; 10-16-2011 at 02:49 PM.

vCash
    Have Time Warner actually verified the story is true as this employee says? I've read them saying that they have policies in place for these kinds of situations, but none saying what the policies are. I'm sure there is more to this story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast