Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    No, Michelle certainly was not an OGM.

Evan and Sasha are not the only ones to drop out of the GP after media hype.

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/oct.../sp-newswire19
    Yes, and in Spokane that year there were huge banners with her picture all over the city.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    There's nothing slimy about advertising the skaters who have accepted their GP assignments as being scheduled to be there. Evan accepted his assignment, hence USFS had an expectation that he'd be there.
    Depends how you look at it. Everyone on this board knew that Evan was likely to withdraw, so the UFSA probably did as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    If he were really that "extremely trained and eager to compete at Skate America" why would a "suitable [financial] agreement" be needed as well?
    Because he probably doesn't want to work for less than he believes he deserves. He's not a child whose parents finance his hobby, skating and marketing his skills is his job, so he is entitled to ask a price. Whether that price is realistic, I do not know.

vCash
    Who does Evan think he is? Kwan?
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
    Because he probably doesn't want to work for less than he believes he deserves. He's not a child whose parents finance his hobby, skating and marketing his skills is his job, so he is entitled to ask a price. Whether that price is realistic, I do not know.
    I wonder how much money we're talking here.

On that note, Alissa Czisny can't possibly be as wealthy as Evan (controlling for family background, but still, I don't think Alissa's family is all that wealthy) and she doesn't seem to drop out of competitions-she just picks up more shows. Evan could certainly do THAT, even moreso than Alissa.

My honest opinion is that Evan probably didn't feel that he wanted to get back into the competitive grind when there are people who could dethrone him. That never looks good.

vCash
    Maybe someone paid him the double money in order NOT to appear again and it worked. (And i swear it wasnt me!)

vCash
    I think that it is sad the someone in the "best shape of their life" isn't competing because of money. Competing would have given him some more time in the spot light, and probably some form of opportunities off the ice again. It's not like figure skaters stay in the public eye very long, so, an unwise move really. Very upsetting for the people that bought tickets to go see him.

Funny, I always thought skating was about the love of the sport, and the challenge of competing, with whatever result motivating them in practice. I hope skaters now start saying "Im happy I skated well today. Hopefully Ill get more money".

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Depends how you look at it. Everyone on this board knew that Evan was likely to withdraw, so the UFSA probably did as well.
    But they have to go by what Evan says not by what they think might happen.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    delete
    Last edited by judiz; 10-16-2011 at 04:36 AM.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Competing would have given him some more time in the spot light, and probably some form of opportunities off the ice again.
    I also feel that appearing at Skate America would have scooped Evan up and out of the gutter.

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    But injury was not the reason he gave for not competing. AFAIK he never officially acknowledged an injury himself.

Lysacek's official statement: http://www.whosay.com/evanlysacek/co...72?code=RnJR3o

If he were really that "extremely trained and eager to compete at Skate America" why would a "suitable [financial] agreement" be needed as well?
    There's always a remote possibility his withdrawal isn't for financial reasons. A "suitable agreement" could mean other things. None of us know for sure, and it's all speculation at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Something tells me we are going to hear the details very soon. This is way too fishy. One of the wealthiest skaters in the world is pulling out of the GP because the usfsa isn't giving him enough money? He has sponsors, gets money from headlining a tour, and was paid to be in a reality tv show. He has to be a multi-millionaire now. Does he NEED money from the usfsa at this point in his life? Absolutely not. What an ungrateful you know what!
    Good luck to Razzano. When his jumps are on, they are amazing to watch.
    This...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    There's always a remote possibility his withdrawal isn't for financial reasons. A "suitable agreement" could mean other things. None of us know for sure, and it's all speculation at this point.
    It's hard to imagine that Evan would return to competition for the money. I don't think money is a sufficient motivator for training at an elite level. Plus, Evan is a wealthy man and can make more money through sponsorships and shows than competing.

If the agreement is about money, perhaps he's gotten greedy. But if that is the reason he pulled out the GP it would seem he was not that serious to begin with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Who does Evan think he is? Kwan?
    LOL, not Kwan as he is an Olympic champion, the reigning Olympic champion...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    LOL, not Kwan as he is an Olympic champion, the reigning Olympic champion...
    stop twisting the knife in my wounds

Comansnala?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    Maybe someone paid him the double money in order NOT to appear again and it worked. (And i swear it wasnt me!)
    Me.
    Now I only have to convince Chan as well ...

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokko! View Post
    Me.
    Now I only have to convince Chan as well ...
    I am in!

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post

My honest opinion is that Evan probably didn't feel that he wanted to get back into the competitive grind when there are people who could dethrone him. That never looks good.

That could be said about many "champions", tho' I have never understood it. How can an OGM be "tarnished"? If a champion is secure enough with his/her win, why care?

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    It doesn't make a lot of sense to me why Lysacek would have agreed to let the USFS enter him into SA if they had not agreed to some sort of contract at (or before) that time.

I wonder exactly how much difference there is between what the USFS was willing to offer and what Evan expected? I'm guessing it must have been a fairly substantial amount.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    I can't think of what else this could mean? A private locker room? A swanky hotel room? I've never in all my years of skating fandom heard a skater use this excuse for pulling out of a competition. And was the USFS supposed to provide "a suitable arrangement" for his competing at TEB also? Or did he just not feel like doing that one? This whole thing is just bonkers.

ANYWAY, I wasn't really looking forward to seeing him skate anyway and I'm really happy for Razzano to get the spot- he's been a good little soldier the past few years and its really fantastic for him to finally get a chance to score a season's best. Its really a big shame we can't get Messing, Aaron, and Carriere on there too somehow. Three great skaters who won't be getting a SB score this year unless they make the 4CC or Worlds team. Its so frustrating that B comps don't count for anything!

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast