Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Locals didn't really know the event was happening. I never saw a single advertisement in my (local suburb) newspaper (I don't get the LA Times), nor did I ever hear one. I only knew because I'm here daily (and I read IN and the USFS press releases).

I don't know what the Skate America advertising budget looked like, but I can assure you that the person managing it didn't fully take advantage of it (by this, I don't mean "didn't spend it all." I mean "didn't get the most bang for his/her buck").

Also, advertise to college kids! We have a ton of schools around here and a bunch of my friends were like, "Skate America? People skating? I'll go!"
    ...but it was already over...
    Yeah, I don't get that. If you're going to go to the trouble to host an event it seems like you'd try to get people to come. It was a great place to have Skate America, good weather, friendly people, convenient location to the airport and hotels, nice arena. The same thing happened last year in Portland. In Everett and Spokane the red carpet was rolled out; there was advertising all over town, coverage in both the newspapers and on tv, and the buzz was that if you weren't in on it, you were missing out. Looks like they did that for Skate Canada too.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    They don't need a huge advertising budget to get the word across: Stars on Ice has a "Shine Like Stars" program, where for getting businesses to put up posters, there's an invite to the practice.

Skate America could have given practice passes or even tickets to people for putting up posters in neighboring communities, colleges, etc.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I don't think I really have a problem with prize money or appearance fees. Because the way I see it is if the federations/ISU makes millions of the skaters, the skaters deserved to be paid too.
    I don't think any federation or the ISU makes millions out the skaters. Once upon a time they may have done but these days, not so much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I don't think any federation or the ISU makes millions out the skaters. Once upon a time they may have done but these days, not so much.
    Well obviously now thats the case but I was implying before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    They don't need a huge advertising budget to get the word across: Stars on Ice has a "Shine Like Stars" program, where for getting businesses to put up posters, there's an invite to the practice.

Skate America could have given practice passes or even tickets to people for putting up posters in neighboring communities, colleges, etc.
    I participated in the Stars on Ice grassroots marketing program for several years until they ended it last year. Civil engineer by day, "Shining Star" by night (ouch! my ego! ), I spent 4-5 days per year hanging posters, passing out flyers, shamelessly SPAMing my friends, etc. in order to watch practices and meet a skater. It was totally worth it to me... a priceless experience.

... until the Fan Club program came along and offered the same perks for ~$50.

That said, it's a great idea, if well-organized. I'm sure each LOC could find people willing to do the work.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021