Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast
    Vacant
    vCash

Gymnastics News #7

Carry on

Oh and ETA: - Uchimura was just on another planet today. WOW wow wow!!! Finally a result in this championship that I like.

vCash
    Event finals is tonight and I am home to watch it! Hope Komova can win a couple of EF medals. Just want to say how much I enjoyed watching Progras compete. She is such a class act.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am glad to not have to get up so early. I hope Maroney absolutely sticks her Amanar!!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Beach Bum
    vCash
    It is definitely about more than the gymnatics. I love gymnasts who have good body/leg lines and arched banana insteps. Komova, Liukin, Lilipod. Musty doesn't have banana feet, but she points her feet. I like Porgras too.

Gnarled flounder feet are just not going to cut it for me no matter how much difficulty the gymnast has. I can appreciate the difficulty but the gymnast won't make my favorites list.

Somewhere in the middle are gymnasts like Wieber. She doesn't have terrible line or gnarled feet. Her body line is pleasant enough - the feet aren't really arched, but when she doesn't point them, they form a straight line and not gnarled/breaking the line at the ankle. I don't like it when she lets her feet flex in UB release moves or BB/FX split jumps, but the rest of her lines don't hurt my eyes. Patterson and Johnson were in the middle for me too -- the line is not gorgeous by any means, but its good enough. So if someone like Komova or Liukin has just too many bobbles, I don't freak out if a Patterson, Johnson, Wieber win. I can see why they won.

I love nice elegant dance presentation on FX, but with some diva attack. Musty has that to spare. Didn't see the diva attack from Komova this week. I don't like the pixie cheerleader jumping bean style so much. Not nuts about her routine, but Wieber showed attack in the AA on FX.

A little loss of form in the twisting elements doesn't bother me too much as long as the feet are pointed unless its is so bad it throws off the rotation (like the Ponor video we saw earlier in the thread). But loss of form should be scored properly.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I would love to see Weiber, Komova, Jinnan, second american and second Russian (hopefully Mustafina but Grushina would be fine) and maybe one or two surprises, likely Porgras, Mitchell, Seitz, second Chinese fighting out for the medals.

Maroney really needs to win Vault. She will unless something happens on her second Vault. But not winning here would hurt her Olympic chances I think.

Komova for Gold in UB but would love to see Koko redeem herself here after disappointing Uneven Bars in Team Finals and AA. The french lady could well win a medal as well. Though I'd like to see Huang or Nabieva medal as win as it may well be the last we've see of them. Weiber will be wanting a far better UB from AA while for Douglas a great performance could really help her chances for London.

Floor will go to Zou I guess. I'm hoping one of Dragulescu, Shatilov, Hypolito or Uchimura take the Gold.

I'd love the Brit to win Pommel Horse. Yamamuro winning Gold would be icing on the cake for a great performance so far this week. Morandi would be a welcome winner but I guess this will go to Chen.

And it really was shocking that the best Chinese man placed 18th in AA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    And it really was shocking that the best Chinese man placed 18th in AA
    I was shocked by that too. I thought they'd have Zou and or Zhang try for AA.

I'm kinda glad they didn't though. I wouldn't want to have seen either of them win AA medals.

vCash
    My picks for today finals:

Floor: Zou Kai (CHN) though I dont like his gymnastics approach, but he is very consistent
    Vault: McKayla Maroney (USA)
    Pommel Horse: Krisztian Berki (HUN)
    Uneven Bars: Victoria Komova (RUS)
    Rings: Yibing Chen (CHN)

Other hopes: Legendre taking a medal on floor, Alexa Moreno (MEX) giving a top 5 performance on vault, Jo-Ho bronze on rings (his only event final)
    Last edited by Braulio; 10-14-2011 at 11:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Braulio View Post
    Uneven Bars: Elizabeth Tweddle (GBR)
    Tweddle didn't make bars finals. She's 3rd alternate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    Tweddle didn't make bars finals. She's 3rd alternate.
    I knew that I was forgetting something

So correction, my pick for uneven bars: Victoria Komova (RUS)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Braulio View Post
    I knew that I was forgetting something

So correction, my pick for uneven bars: Victoria Komova (RUS)

Easy error to make.

I don't think anyone foresaw Beth blowing her bars in prelims and not making finals. He, sure, but Tweddle was supposed to be a sure thing.

vCash
    Let me see if I can remember the most prominent members of the injured list right; Mustafina, Bross, Leyva, Tanaka (?), Baladin, Sacramone, Memmel, Izbaşa... Did I miss anyone? Now that is quite the list.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    I dunno if Leyva is injured persay. He clipped his chin pretty bad and it looked like he got a nice shiner, but he was talking to the media afterwards so he probably won't have much more than some pretty spectacular bruising. Maybe the judges will give him pity points in PB finals?

Unless, of course, you're referring to a different injury he may have.

Princess Glee (TM)
    vCash
    Not sure if this article has been posted in the previous thread - I think the author raises several interesting questions regarding the selection process of the US womens gymnastics team:

Last Leotard Standing
    Men and I are like pianos - when they get upright, I feel grand!

vCash
    Uchimura might be the best MAG AA gymnast of all-time. He's such a cool cat, nobody else deserves to win the Olympics besides him. He should win all 3 of the medals actually.

McKayla for gold! Nothing less, just nail it! Her vault from TF to this point is my personal most watched routine of the competition

Komova for UB gold and a medal for Gabby would be

Excited for tonight, this Worlds hasn't been all that bad so far. They are definitely getting me way excited for next year!

vCash
    If Chuso wins vault with those disgusting legs on her Rudi I will just vomit. Her E score deserves to be WELL below a clean vault from Maroney. Now, if Maroney falls then what can you do? But I better not see Maroney nail her vault and score 9.3 E score then see Chuso land hers and score 9.1 E score. That would be an injustice. I think leg form should be allowed up to .3 in deduction. Isn't it currently a .1 deduction and that is it? I would even go so far as to say the deduction can be doubled if both legs are bent, crossed, etc.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    ^ unless Maroney falls, you don't have to worry. Everybody already looks at her as the best vaulter in the World (commentators on every network have called her Amanar the best ever). If she lands, she wins.

vCash
    BigB08822

vCash: 1394244
    See, what I don't understand is this. Mustafina has pretty atrocious form on her twisting elements. This means her floor and vault are basically hideous when it comes to the gymnastics elements. She is great on bars and her beam is cleaner because of the skills she uses. I see all these people talking about Komova being the only watchable gymnast and thank god for Mustafina's return because she is a better competitor and can win. But why are the people who defend Komova until the death also wanting Mustafina to win? Mustafina is nothing like Komova except that she puts on a mega bitchface during competition and is an amazing competitor. I wish people would just admit that it is cool to be Russian because it seems thats what it all comes down to. I don't see the "artistry" that everyone else sees. I mean, I can see that Mustafina is more artistic than Wieber but artistry only comes into play on floor and beam. I haven't seen an artistic beam in my life so maybe I am blind but why should a gymnast win everything because they are better at being "artistic" on floor? It seems so trivial.

ETA: One more thing, just to hit my point home. (lol) If Mustafina was born in the U.S. but was otherwise exactly the same, people would consider her a spoiled, snotty, pouty American brat...with horrible form! However, she is Russian so she is a bad ass bitch with artistic integrity!
    Artistry isn't just about being able to perform on floor. Artistry is also about doing gymnastics beautifully. Kohei Uchimura obviously doesn't perform to music but he is the upitome of an artistic gymnast. In that Kohei doesn't just throw skills because he can do it, he throws skills that he can master, and skills that he does with beautifully straight legs, beautifully pointed toes. And he makes it look beautiful, he makes it look easy.

great gymanstic is about lines/body shapes. Which is why beam is a very artistic event. Great gymnasts can put in dance skills in there, the (Chinese use to dance on beam). On beam there are positions that Komova for example hits that are absolute incredible and yes artistic. Picture shots are incredible. Komova floats on beam and bars especially. Mustafina is a different gymnast than Komova and I absolutely can't stand her twists. But Mustafina actually has absolutely gorgeous carriage, the way she moves her hands. Her leaps are beautiful. She's actually quite balletic on beam (and I wish she'd end that dismount). Aliya also while not as good form wise as Komova does actually some very creative skills. Her bars composition is better than Komova's (really incredible stuff its not worth enough)

vCash
    I don't equate mastery of skills as being artistic. That is just being the best at what you do. Someone with great form isn't necessarily artistic, they just have great form! IMO, of course. Artistry is subjective so no one is right or wrong.
    -Brian

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I don't equate mastery of skills as being artistic. That is just being the best at what you do. Someone with great form isn't necessarily artistic, they just have great form! IMO, of course. Artistry is subjective so no one is right or wrong.
    But thats what a lot of people mean though when they say artistic. And great form isn't rewarded. Komova hits gorgeous positions and tries very hard to make things look beautiful..

vCash
    What are the chances of a live stream feed for event finals? I think they're supposed to just about to start..?

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast