vCash

Blade sharpeners

I have some difficulties finding someone to sharpen my skates. I always have to travel far for that and it is kind of a nuisance especially as I like my blades sharp.

I read about self-sharpening kits. Does anyone hear use them? Is it recommendable and reasonable easy?

vCash
    They are good for touch ups. Still recommend a grinder after 2 or 3x. JMHO.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    That does make sense.
    Thanks for your answer.

Could you recommend a particular sharpener? Can I just buy a random one?

vCash
    I have a Sweet Stick which is good for touch ups.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I didn't see one listed here, but I would contact their customer service:

http://www.shoprainbo.com/
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    I would recommend finding a 1/2 (3/8 for dance blades) round fine India "file" from an industrial supply company. They normally come in 4 to 6 inch lengths. Cut it to 2-inch lengths. For the sides I like a small hard arkansas stone.

vCash
    I had a coach who used to touch up my blades with a sharpening stone. It was especially good for cleaning up nicks which make your blade lose contact with the ice.

vCash
    Thanks a lot for all the tips!

I think I would really like to buy one after your responses. But I also notice how unknowledgeable I still am

For instance, this
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
    I would recommend finding a 1/2 (3/8 for dance blades) round fine India "file" from an industrial supply company. They normally come in 4 to 6 inch lengths. Cut it to 2-inch lengths. For the sides I like a small hard arkansas stone.
    sounds like a great tip but it's all Greek to me.

If I buy a sharpening tool designed for figure skating, will it be provided with a detailed explanation how to use it?
    I don't want to ruin my beloved blades...

vCash
    Hedwig, I would try this first, and see if it should be possible or not : http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...arpen+figure+s

vCash
    thanks again for all the answers. I think I will go for a pro-filer which will - I hope - enable me to go without a professional sharpener.

Now I only have to find a way to get the pro-filer to Germany without having to pay 90$ in shipping costs
    So it will probably take a while before I find someone who can bring it to Europe over the big ocean for me (maybe someone from the US going to Euros and willing to bring it with them? ).
    Once I do, I will keep you posted so that you know if it might be for you as well.

vCash
    Hi Hedwig

Use this with an oil to take the knicks out and on the hollow of the blade. This matches a 1/2 inch (12 mm) radius which is a normal hollow for most free skates.

This is to touch up the edges between sharpenings.

www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=5047

use a hard flat stone for the sides.

I find that most of the blade "kits" are dangerous in the wrong hands. So if it is "Greek" and you do not know how to use a set of stones you should probably wait until you can get some instruction from a person you trust.

I started doing my own blades years ago as I was tired of having my blades damaged by inexperienced rink employees who primarily sharpened rental skates. I asked and received insruction on how to use a machine from some very experienced people and have been able to pick up some tricks over the years. However, I did 100's of pairs of rental skates myself before I would ever touch my own blades. ;-))

vCash
    I always have to travel far for that and it is kind of a nuisance especially as I like my blades sharp.
    Me too! How far do you travel? I also need to travel 20km...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LLOS View Post
    Me too! How far do you travel? I also need to travel 20km...
    Is that considered "far"? I'm not being a smartass, just honestly curious since I know people in Europe don't really treat distances the same way we do in the US. The place where I sharpen my skates is about 20 miles away for me, but since about half of that is on the highway, I consider myself lucky and think they're pretty close.

vCash
    I would consider that far for getting your blades sharpened, yes. Or anything that takes me more than an hour to go back and from for the simple task of getting your blades done.

So maybe we are not treating distances the same way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Is that considered "far"? I'm not being a smartass, just honestly curious since I know people in Europe don't really treat distances the same way we do in the US. The place where I sharpen my skates is about 20 miles away for me, but since about half of that is on the highway, I consider myself lucky and think they're pretty close.
    Maybe also depends if you are going by a car or by public transport.

How often the public transport goes there (every 5 minutes, or once per hour?)

Or how easy it is to drive there (the traffic may be such that even 5 miles can sometimes be far).

vCash
    And also if it is done in a shop or if you have to go to a nice but very chatty couple who expect you to stay one hour each time to talk to them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    And also if it is done in a shop or if you have to go to a nice but very chatty couple who expect you to stay one hour each time to talk to them.
    Hedwig, I don't mind having a chat once a month for an hour with a very nice couple. Do they provide a cup of tea and cake, while they are doing your blades?

vCash
    I am sure they would. They always offer me juice. And they are really nice. But I am not a chatty sociable person per se so I always find it very draining to be honest...