vCash

Octavia Butler suggestions

Hi folks, I've been wanting to read more Sci-Fi books and upon some research, it seems that Octavia Butler may be the way I can start my journey. I've already read Fledgling (and looooved it!), but would love suggestions on what else I should read from her and in what chronology - esp some of her earlier work from the 70s and such.

I know a lot of us here are avid book readers, which is why I thought to ask here...Thanks in advance for all y'all suggestions!

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I've never read any of her novels, but even though she stated that she didn't like short story writing, she still wrote some really excellent ones. So I would recommend her collection Bloodchild and Other Stories.

vCash
    You might try Kindred, which is probably her most well known novel. It is pretty widely taught in college classes. You can read more about it here: http://www.amazon.com/Kindred-Octavi...8374875&sr=1-1

You might also check out Ursula K. Le Guin.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I only discovered Octavia Butler last year, after seeing a dnace performance based on her writings. I went out and bought Fledgling right away and loved it! The performance was based on her Parable books, which are on my list but I haven't gotten to them yet.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    second vote for Kindred

vCash
    Thanks for the advice - I'll start out with Kindre and work my way around some of her trilogies

vCash
    Third vote for Kindred. I teach it in a women writers class and students love it. Kindred is less traditional sci-fi than Butler's other works, though (in fact, Butler called it a "grim fantasy" because she said there "was no science in it.") So another vote for the Bloodchild collection if you like more alien oriented sci-fi. Happy reading!