Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Best costume designers?

Who are the best costume designers in the sport?

vCash
    Shizuka always looked good - dont know who designed her costumes though.

vCash
    IMO: Vera Wang and Jef Billings. Honorable mention goes to Toller Cranston, as I'm pretty sure he designed the dresses worn by Kadavy and Chen when he choreographed their programs.

vCash
    The major designers I know of are Jef Billings, Tania Bass, the woman in Montreal who designed dresses for Joannie and Yu Na (can't remember the name), and the REST Elegance Company. And Vera Wang, Cavalli etc

ETA: I believe Shizuka used REST Elegance for at least some of her dresses.
    Last edited by triple_toe; 10-11-2011 at 02:40 AM.

vCash
    Does anybody know who designed Shawn Sawyer's costumes for his Tango, Amadeus, and Alice in Wonderland programs?? I was always curious as I thought those costumes really worked for him.

vCash
    Natella Abdulaeva worked with Tarasova's students, including Yagudin, Kulik, Platov/Grishuk, Arakawa, Cohen. She also created costumes for Kerrs.

Elena Danilova is working now with Volosozhar/Trankov. She also worked with lots of Russian skaters, like Krylova/Ovsyannikov. Vaitsekhovskaya had an article about her during Worlds (Russian).

vCash
    I don't know any of the costume designers; but there there are several standout skaters for best and worst dressed.

There aren't many skaters who have wowed me with a great costumes over the years; maybe 50.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I don't know who designs Maia Shibutani's dresses, but she always looks lovely.

vCash
    I don't know many costume designers. But for sure, Vera Wang is very good. And SHizuka Arakawa or Kiira Korpi are always so beautiful !
    I also admire the designer of Gordeeva&Grinkov's costumes in 1994 !

vCash
    Evan Bates said in Finlandia that Madison Chock desingns her own costumes. Kiira Korpi´s costumes are by Teemu Muurinmäki, the Finnish designer, who lives in Paris.

Susanna Pöykiö used to desing costumes, too.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    I don't know who designs Maia Shibutani's dresses, but she always looks lovely.
    agreed. Her dresses last year were lovely!
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I happen to like the work that Dior did with Lysacek. I am not in favor of the work that Vera Wang did for him. Especially that ugly snake infested thing he wore in vancouver. The tuxedo she did for him though(american in Paris) was perfect however.

Vera Wang also did some amazing dresses for Kerrigan and Kwan. Kwan's style was simplicity so there was frequently not a lot of beading etc. but the perfect cut of the dress along with the color, fabric choice and neck was always a complement. Her Scherazade dress was beautiful and timeless.

Meryl Davis and Tessa Virtue are always dressed to die for.

vCash
    I think Meryl's mum makes her costumes. She has spoken that they tried to make the Bollywood costume authentic, even the earrings!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    And SHizuka Arakawa or Kiira Korpi are always so beautiful !
    Shizuka's competitive costumes weren't always my cup of tea, but I agree about Kiira - really, all the Finnish ladies tend to look good. What I like about Kiira's costumes is that they're not necessarily the pretty princess dresses you'd expect of someone who looks like she does.

Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    I happen to like the work that Dior did with Lysacek. I am not in favor of the work that Vera Wang did for him. Especially that ugly snake infested thing he wore in vancouver. The tuxedo she did for him though(american in Paris) was perfect however.
    Vera Wang has done some good work, but I associate her too much with those awful snakes to name her a good skating costume designer.

P/B don't always have great costumes (they certainly didn't in the Olympic season) but they've had some very good ones, too - Nathalie's SD dress last season was fabulous and their SD costumes this year are fun. I also like what they wore for the Organ Donor FD back in 2008.

The Canton ladies usually have pretty costumes, but they're often a bit safe and generic; they wouldn't win any Project Runway challenges. OTOH, considering what did win a PR skating costume challenge...

vCash
    always enjoyed seeing Cohen's new costumes and Yuna's. Sasha's garments were really something of surprise and beauty on ice.
    The woman who used to design Yuna's costumes for a couple of seasons till 09-10 also designed Joannie's most of costumes and I loved them, too, especially her oly free program's!

vCash
    On the US National/local level, there are several designers doing a ton of business, and some of it fabulous.

Del Arbour does a lot of work for Becky Bereswill, Caroline Zhang, many of the major US Synchro teams, and others. Quite popular across the Midwest.

Tania Bass has done most of the dresses for Emily Hughes and Sarah Hughes, as well as work across the years for Irina Slutskaya, Miki Ando, Pang/Tong, Michael Weiss, Katrina Hacker, etc. Very big in the Northern East Coast.

Brad Griffies has been growing in business substantially this decade since he started sewing for others. Notable clients: Kimmie M. and recently a couple of Evora/Ladwig outfits (their teal 2010 FS, and I think their purple 2011 FS). I noticed several of his dresses on the radar at nationals these past 2 two years.

Ann Patrice McDonough's mom created some lovely dresses back in the day. Is she still doing work for many of the Broadmoor skaters? I can't figure out who their dress designer is, but there appears to be one person/group who outfits many of the skaters from there. (Basic, safe lines and matching-crystal-overkill seems to be the style).

Russianiceskate.com (Elena?) has been quite popular lately, particularly for Juvenile through Junior skaters.

In the place 4 hours due East of where George Spiteri has his workshop
    vCash
    Does Mare Talbot still create dresses? I remember a few of the ones that she did for Sasha, and a PHI skater that was based in SoCal and they were lovely.

vCash
    AP's mom was listed as Rachael's dress designer for a long time. She seems to be good at ornamentation, not so much at cut and line.

I always love seeing what the Finns are wearing. They've had some hits and some misses over the years, but they are never dull.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    the woman in Montreal who designed dresses for Joannie and Yu Na (can't remember the name)
    Josiane Lamond: http://www.thestar.com/article/770024

vCash
    I am wondering- shouldn't this topic be in the Trashcan?

It's a good topic though. I am learning a lot.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast