Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Courtney Hicks out for season with leg injury [Confirmed]

No "official" word yet, but the hearsay news isn't good.

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn_girl View Post
    Her injury is really bad, she broke her leg on the take off of the jump. Poor girl
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn_girl View Post
    It's true FSO poster who was at the rink and saw it wrote that she singled the second jump of her program (probably lutz or flip) and fell on ice. Later it was known that she broke her [shin bone] on the take off
    Quote Originally Posted by alhrayth View Post
    yup, I was there too. Didn't see the fall actually because I was writing down something, but looked up when I heard the fall and saw she was not getting up again. I was announcing there, so I was sitting next to the judges, and the first judge on my right told that she'd struck the take-off all wonky - evidently the injury happened at that point. At first we thought it was her knee - but later I was next to the US team leader and asked her about that, and she said it indeed was her leg, right below the knee.
    Last edited by Jenna; 10-10-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    OMG how awful.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    OUCH!!!!

Get well soon, please....

NJL (...just reading about it hurts.......)

vCash
    Poor thing, sound very painful.

Quadless
    vCash
    Oh, dear. Poor Courtney.

I hope youth will be on her side and that she'll bounce back quickly. I was really looking forward to seeing her progress this season.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    We should wait for confirmation, but if alhrayth is correct about the break being below the knee, it is not her thigh bone, it's the tibia (shin bone). As I just posted in the Ladies thread, I broke my tibia (near the ankle) skating 2 years ago, so I know how Courtney must feel right now. Hopefully, she won't need surgery and will heal according to schedule. I was off the ice for 6 months, perhaps Courtney could go back a little sooner.

Sending lots of healing vibes to Courtney!

vCash
    Ouch! She is young and hopefully will heal quickly!

vCash
    Wishing her a speedy and full recovery.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Whatever the injury, I hope she takes time for it to heal completely before getting back on the ice.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Poor kid.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Whatever the injury, I hope she takes time for it to heal completely before getting back on the ice.
    This!
    All the best to her.

vCash
    Oh, no! We just saw her a week ago @ Mike's show. Hope she takes the time to heal completely from this.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Major . I hate to say it, but I thought she was pushing way too hard this season with quads, combinations ending in triple loop, and really tricky footwork in and out of jumps. It was very exciting to watch but I wonder if it was too much all at once.

Best wishes for a quick and full recovery.

vCash
    Really tough if she's injured like that away from home. I hope one of her parents was at the competition with her, though I'm sure the team leader and other team adults are very supportive.

vCash
    Poor Kid. It will seem like the end of the world for her at the moment.
    Went through a similar injury with one of my kids, took 7 months to get back on the ice, it's a long haul.
    Hopefully she has good strong support to help her get well and fit as she is an amazing young lady to watch!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Major . I hate to say it, but I thought she was pushing way too hard this season with quads, combinations ending in triple loop, and really tricky footwork in and out of jumps. It was very exciting to watch but I wonder if it was too much all at once.

Best wishes for a quick and full recovery.
    But she wasn't trying quads when this happened. I know a skater who broke her leg doing a three turn ... I hope her recovery is non eventful and she is back next season. I also hopes she continues to push the technical envelope.
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery Courtney!
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    I cannot imagine the pain.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Poor thing. I hope she has a speedy and complete recovery.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Wow. I imagine we'll hear something somewhat official in the next week or so if she is out for the season or not. I wish her a complete recovery.

Regardless, can you imagine flying home so soon with such an injury? That's a really long set of flights back home to CA, with no real opportunity for comfort all of those hours.

I've seen many people on crutches, in hard casts, soft casts, walking casts, in wheel chairs, etc. fly... but is it even advised/permitted to fly within just a couple of days of a serious bone fracture (assuming that's the actual injury)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    But she wasn't trying quads when this happened. I know a skater who broke her leg doing a three turn ...
    I'm one of those. I'd had falls that were a lot harder than that - I just got off-balance during an RBO 3-turn, left foot came down as I fell, left toepick got stuck in the ice, and I ended up falling on my left leg as it twisted around underneath me. I was skating pretty slow into the turn, it was just the way I fell. My type of tibia fracture (spiral) is caused by a violent twisting motion. There's really nothing anyone can do to decrease their risk (well, except not play sports, but you could also have a car accident, or fall in your house....). I did work with my PT (who is also a skating coach) and my coach on the correct way to fall - I tend to stiffen up and try to keep from falling, when I should be bending my knees and just sitting down - it's possible my gut reaction right after the turn made things worse, so I am making a conscious effort to react differently now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle View Post
    Regardless, can you imagine flying home so soon with such an injury? That's a really long set of flights back home to CA, with no real opportunity for comfort all of those hours.

I've seen many people on crutches, in hard casts, soft casts, walking casts, in wheel chairs, etc. fly... but is it even advised/permitted to fly within just a couple of days of a serious bone fracture (assuming that's the actual injury)?
    I can't imagine it, either. Hopefully, she can get an aisle seat (maybe they could even get her in first or business class) and be able to keep her leg elevated. There is always a clot risk, but Courtney is young and in top physical condition, so she is probably less at risk than average. Hopefully, she's got some good painkillers, too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast