Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dick and Peggy

vCash
    [QUOTE=muffinbiscuit Outside of the British commentators and Tara, I try not to listen to the commentary.

Totally agree that the Brits oneurosport are THE best commentators and they don't shy away from saying their opinion either.

You guys are very lucky indeed if you don't understand the commentary
    if you casually look at some of the Italian broadcasts (Torino 2006 for ex) The Italians are definitely the worst of all!! and they too never ever shut up!

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I would rather listen to the sickeningly sweet Peggy than the always bitter (toward non-Canadians) Sandra.
    My feelings exactly.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianFan View Post
    Totally agree that the Brits oneurosport are THE best commentators and they don't shy away from saying their opinion either.
    Agree. I just wish Eurosport would provide more coverage

vCash
    I've never thought of Peggy as sickeningly sweet. She's always seemed a bit snide, snobbish, whatever. But she's an institution, and she does a good job.

Sandra's just plain mean. I can live with mean, but not when it's coupled with her narrowmindedness regarding "what skating should look like." Add this to Scott's enthusiasm and his disregard for important technical info, and ...blah.
    Last edited by Coco; 10-16-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I've never thought of Peggy as sickeningly sweet. She's always seemed a bit snide, snobbish, whatever. But she's an institution, and she does a good job.

Sandra's just plan mean. I can live with mean, but not when it's coupled with her narrowmindedness regarding "what skating should look like." Add this to Scott's enthusiasm and his disregard for important technical info, and ...blah.
    What I really can't stand about Sandra are her backhanded compliments...like Slutskaya's SP in Turin when she said, "This music makes me smile, because it's like she's not even going to attempt to be artistic..."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Chris Howarth and Simon Reed. Howarth represented Great Britain at the 1980 Winter Olympics in men's singles. As far as I know, Reed (younger brother of Oliver) has always been in broadcasting. When Reed is away, Howarth's co-commentator is usually (always?) Nicky Slater, a former competitive ice dancer.
    Found some video of Howarth and Slater. Still looking for Simon Reed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7KGO...e_gdata_player

vCash
    I like the commentary by Chris Howarth & Nicky Slater very much. Simon Reed not so much because of his gushing.

Sandra´s commentary I have always loved and generally thought it to be rather fair. Scott is a bit too enthusiastic. I never could stand Dick Button....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I like the commentary by Chris Howarth & Nicky Slater very much. Simon Reed not so much because of his gushing.

Sandra´s commentary I have always loved and generally thought it to be rather fair. Scott is a bit too enthusiastic. I never could stand Dick Button....
    Interesting, I've rarely heard anyone consider Sandra to be fair!

Honestly, though, I REALLY wish she would choreograph again...Nichol is out of ideas, Morozov is, Wilson seems to be in a rut, and Tom Dickson is too difficult for most skaters. Bezic (while I hate her commentary) was an absolute visionary when it came to creating a program and I'd love to see what she could do with CoP.

vCash
    Hate listening to Scott, so obvious who he likes and dislikes personally and he lets that effect his commentary, Peggy is good for the women, not the men, like Terry because he will ask questions of the other commentators that he knows the audience wants to hear. i would love to hear Johnny do commentary along with Tara and I think Tanith would do a good job as well.

Google Jim McKay to see what a great commentator was. Respect to Dick but I think his time has passed due to age and health issues, he should be honored by the usfs for all he has done for the sport.

vCash
    I actually thought Dick and Peggy were pretty good during the 90s. They only started babbling and lapsing into irrelevance not long before they went off the air. Perhaps they knew their time was up so they weren't bothered? If they were to be brought back long-term, maybe that'd be enough to re-energize their commentary, that is if Dick hasn't become too addled. I have a certain fondness for them because I first got into skating when watching some glorious late nineties performances for which they provided some very interesting (to a newbie) comments.

Really, anyone has to be better than Scott and Sandra. Scott I can almost stand, but Sandra is so unbearably uppity and schoolmarmish that she makes me seriously slap-happy. I agree that a Johnny/Tara combo would be a blast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Like Terry because he will ask questions of the other commentators that he knows the audience wants to hear. I would love to hear Johnny do commentary along with Tara and I think Tanith would do a good job as well.

Google Jim McKay to see what a great commentator was. Respect to Dick He should be honored by the USFS for all he has done for the sport.
    I would also like Mike Weiss to get some more opportunities to do commentary. Love listening to Paul and Tonia K. I have never minded Peter Carruthers when he does pairs commentary (I wish he didn't get stuck doing those silly, embarrassing interviews right after a skater skated, especially when the program didn't go so well).

Jim McKay - "Mr. Olympics" in my book!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Like Terry because he will ask questions of the other commentators that he knows the audience wants to hear. I would love to hear Johnny do commentary along with Tara and I think Tanith would do a good job as well.

Google Jim McKay to see what a great commentator was. Respect to Dick He should be honored by the USFS for all he has done for the sport.
    I would also like Mike Weiss to get some more opportunities to do commentary. Love listening to Paul and Tonia K.

Jim McKay - "Mr. Olympics" in my book!

Moderators - Please delete this double post. Thanks!
    Last edited by paskatefan; 10-28-2011 at 12:36 PM. Reason: moderators - please delete this post - double post, oops!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I doubt it, but I'd love to hear Dick Button - even if it's just a preview or review and not live commentary. I don't particularly care about Peggy. I'd love to have Susie Wynn or Tracy Wilson. Susie used to do a great job of saying something that each team did well, and then pointing out what they needed to do to improve or "get to the next level". And of course, I love Terry Gannon.

Michael Weiss has done some broadcasting and he has a nice voice and relatively calm manner. I'd like to hear him do some of the broadcasts on Ice Network to see how he develops as a broadcaster.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I don't like the commentary of Hamilton and Bezic either, though Hamilton was always amazing on the ice and I love the programs Bezic designed for other skaters. (I didn't like her own skating very much though, I looked up vids from her skating years and wasn't very impressed, perhaps I expected too much because of her skating commentary about what she thinks skating should be).

My favourite commentators were and still are the British Eurosport team. I didn't like our Dutch Eurosport commentator very much. She was better on the ice (elegant and lovely Joan Haenappel), but the current Dutch replacing her are better commentators. They provide interesting information about what went wrong during jumps and other elements, they explain more about why they think a skater received certain points (or deductions), what I love most is that they can really shut up during performances. I haven't been watching Skate America and Skate Canada on Eurosport right now though since the competitions were available on YouTube fairly quickly.

What I love most are broadcasts without any commentary at all. I have learnt many American words and expressions though from Dick Button, such as 'rusty hoot', even though I still don't grasp the entire meaning.
    Last edited by sadya; 10-30-2011 at 10:24 AM.

vCash
    well originally, in Dick's college days, a rusty hoot was a wet fart. So when asked in one of those Push Dick's Button segments to explain what it meant, he dodged, totally.

These days, hoot is more often slang for a laugh. The language moves on.

I'd love to see Dick back again--and if ABC or ESPN is ever airing skating again we may. The question is how long Dick's contract with ABC runs/ran, whether Dick wants to do the gig, and whether he is too expensive.

But may I say, I loved the combo of Terry Gannon and Judy Blumberg doing ice dance commentary at Skate Canada on Universal Sports this weekend?

I also like Chris & Simon. Nicky, not always.
    Last edited by DORISPULASKI; 10-31-2011 at 10:52 AM.

vCash
    A wet fart?! I expected something more poetic. Oh well. Thanks for explaining.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    I'd love to see Dick back again--and if ABC or ESPN is ever airing skating again we may. The question is how long Dick's contract with ABC runs/ran, whether Dick wants to do the gig, and whether he is too expensive.
    Dick's contract with ABC ended in 2008 when ABC/ESPN dropped figure skating coverage. I don't think we'll see Dick as an analyst on TV again--he's just not coherent enough anymore to follow what is going on. Plus, I never got the sense that he (or Peggy) learned any of the particulars of the new judging system. Even in his studio analyst role in Vancouver, he rambled and was all over the place. NBC yanked him from his role with Bob Costas in the second week of the Games, and he was relegated to a few segments on late night with Mary Carillo.

I'm just happy he got to do commentary for one last Olympics in 2006--I think that was his best work since his brain injury in 2000.

vCash
    Ha ha, yes, thanks for that explanation, DORISPULASKI!

vCash
    I understand that Dick Button was a pioneer in bringing skating to american television. But when I started skating and started watching skating in the early 90's i COULD NOT STAND his commentary. He would interrupt everyone, never kept quiet, would talk with these out of context adjectives, quite often partake in bipartisionship, etc etc

I also really liked Scott and Verne. They were amazing together!! Their commentary of the 90's Olympics were great! I actually thought Sandra and Scott were great at the 2002 Olympics!

Barb and Paul were good too.. although Paul was a little harsh at times and could have stood to be quiet at times.

I have recently heard the British commentators via YouTube and found them great!!! Great observations and different perspectives on things!

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I like the Russian and Hungarian commentary from Eurosport.

Only because I don't understand a word of it (enough to annoy me like most of the English speaking commentators do.)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast