Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dick and Peggy

vCash
    Congrats on being over 100 posts, aemeraldrainc! Love those smilies too. You have an interesting, tongue-twisting user name -- is it Welsh, some other language, or just abstract?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Congrats on being over 100 posts, aemeraldrainc! Love those smilies too. You have an interesting, tongue-twisting user name -- is it Welsh, some other language, or just abstract?
    Thanks!
    It's actually not that abstract at all. I like green and I like rain.
    A is the first letter of my name, Abbey. And C the first of my last name.

vCash

Dick and Peggy

I was sorely disappointed when Peggy joined the team. She was so sickeningly sweet. Not enough with a critical eye. Dick was great until his age started to show. Outside of the British commentators and Tara, I try not to listen to the commentary.

But, when did anyone ever listen to hard core fans?

vCash
    These are from 2009 Worlds:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA4j4Eezv14
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvsI6gBhNSs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Pnqzpf0Qw

I think he did really OK just like the old Dick Button. He similar commentary during 2010 US Nationals (focusing on Sasha Cohen) also and it was as good as ever but I can't find the video.

The last time he did full commentary was 2008 Worlds and again he was as good as ever:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUpJ7g98eTM

I think he could still do it. I don't know what's the reason why he is not on the cast. I know NBC has the right now but they took him for the Olympics in Torino so why can't they add him to the normal cast or hopefully get rid of Scott and Sandra and get back Pegy too.

I must also say I love the guys from British Eurosport but I'm not that fond of "legendary" PJ Kwong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinbiscuit View Post
    I was sorely disappointed when Peggy joined the team. She was so sickeningly sweet. Not enough with a critical eye. Dick was great until his age started to show. Outside of the British commentators and Tara, I try not to listen to the commentary.

But, when did anyone ever listen to hard core fans?
    I would rather listen to the sickeningly sweet Peggy than the always bitter (toward non-Canadians) Sandra.

vCash
    Peggy got a bit better over time with developing a critical eye, but I think she is someone who isn't the critical sort or the snarky sort -- she has a sweet personality. She did develop more zing being paired with Dick, who takes no prisoners.

U.S. sports broadcasting does tend to lay it on too thick with the "color" commentary, and that is essentially the role that Verne and Terry play (while I really can't stand Verne's clueless corn, I love Terry --despite his sometimes annoying talkativeness, Terry shows his love and knowledge of the sport, as he has really tried very hard to become more knowledgeable. With all the talking, Terry is doing the job he was hired to do). A few times the commentary has been toned down slightly I think, due to complaints from fans. There still needs to be a sea change in the way figure skating is broadcast in this country. It should be respected as a different and unique sport that cannot be covered in the same way as football, baseball, and basketball. It should start with educating the networks, broadcasters, and general public in more creative and effective ways about the unique aspects of fs (check out manleywoman's latest podcast with David Kirby, who discusses this important factor).

Bingo, Vash01! (Albeit Sandra is not necessarily bitter toward non-Canadians, as she is particular about how she looks at the sport. Sometimes I agree with her, but often she comes off as elitist with her nose in the air. Shouldn't forget that Sandra has choreographed for non-Canadians, including Brian B, Tara L, and Lu Chen)
    Last edited by aftershocks; 10-10-2011 at 08:29 PM.

vCash
    Peggy got a bit better over time with developing a critical eye, but I think she is someone who isn't the critical sort or the snarky sort -- she has a sweet personality. She did develop more zing being paired with Dick, who takes no prisoners.
    Peggy on the 5.9 Carolina Kostner received as a FS technical mark at 2004 Worlds: "Oh my goodness. Were they watching the same performance? Maybe that was her mother."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Gu_shO0#t=259s

Last edited by Vagabond; 10-10-2011 at 07:44 PM.

vCash
    Thanks for your considered post, aftershocks,

vCash
    Dick and Peggy were classic together, but I think their time has come and gone. I'd like to see them maybe do a recap before or after events but not calling actual skates. Of today's commentators I love Paul Wylie, Tara Lipinski, and Susie Wynn. The Eurosport Brits are great. PJ Kwong sounds like a robot reading the CoP elements sheet and has nothing to say about style or position.

I wish we could ban Scott, Sandra, Roz (though it looks like she's taken the hint), and Peter Carruthers from ever getting near a microphone.

vCash
    I like Tracy Wilson, too.

vCash
    I must say that I have liked Michael Weiss's commentary. I never much cared for what he had to say when he was still competing, but he's turned into a very thoughtful, well-spoken commentator. Ditto Tara Lipinski.

vCash
    Everyone keeps mentioning the "Brit Eurosport dudes" and I totally dig 'em, but what are their names? And their relation to skating? Just curious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aemeraldrainc View Post
    Everyone keeps mentioning the "Brit Eurosport dudes" and I totally dig 'em, but what are their names? And their relation to skating? Just curious.
    Chris Howarth and Simon Reed. Howarth represented Great Britain at the 1980 Winter Olympics in men's singles. As far as I know, Reed (younger brother of Oliver) has always been in broadcasting. When Reed is away, Howarth's co-commentator is usually (always?) Nicky Slater, a former competitive ice dancer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Chris Howarth and Simon Reed. Howarth represented Great Britain at the 1980 Winter Olympics in men's singles. As far as I know, Reed (younger brother to Oliver) has always been in broadcasting. When Reed is away, Howarth's co-commentator has usually (always?) been Nicky Slater, a former ice dancer.
    Oh! Ok, thanks. I'm gonna see if I can find any video of them to see what they look like. Thank you.

vCash
    I am pretty sure Simon Reed is one of those commentators who goes from sport to sport whereever he is required. I think I have heard him do tennis. When commentating on skating he always qualifies things by say how he is not an expert and provides opinions based on his "non-skating eye" but I think he does a pretty good job.

From the British side you have also had Robin Cousins and Barry Davis. Although when the broadcast is off but the microphone is still on it is very interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Too7aXB5o5A
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash

Thumbs up

I really liking listening to Tara. I think she does a great job!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    There will never be another commentator as good as Dick. Peggy is replaceable but I thought she and Dick complemented each other well. I miss them both. (Isn't Dick's head injury what cause him to lose a half-step at times? I don't think it's age. 82 isn't all that old).

vCash
    He made an amazing recovery from his severe injury.

There will never be another Mr. Button.

Aside from his record as a skater, it is due to him that we in the US got to see coverage on television for many years.
    His production company often supplied the footage and he saw to it that it was televised.
    Even after the networks had production crews of their own, the footage sometimes came via his company.

We owe him an enormous debt.

vCash
    Giselle is correct. Dick Button suffered a traumatic brain injury a few years back (fell on a jump, I believe), and it affected the speech centers in his brain. There was a marked difference in his commentating before and after the injury. What you are hearing is not his mind going; it is him struggling to connect what he is thinking with what he is saying. The same thing happened to my best friend's Dad after he suffered a stroke.

On another subject, I think there are contract issues with Dick working for networks other than ABC, which is why we don't see him as much anymore.

And BTW, I am also on the Tara bandwagon. Her technical analysis is the best in the business.

vCash
    (Albeit Sandra is not necessarily bitter toward non-Canadians, as she is particular about how she looks at the sport. Sometimes I agree with her, but often she comes off as elitist with her nose in the air. Shouldn't forget that Sandra has choreographed for non-Canadians, including Brian B, Tara L, and Lu Chen)
    Sandra loves Miki Ando and Zhangs, lol.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast