Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dick and Peggy

vCash
    Another thing I always enjoyed from the British Eurosport commentators is their humor, sometimes mild sarcasm without really hurting anyone. Whenever they do give criticism, they never humiliate anyone, they just say what they think and always make sure to highlight the positive side of every skater.

I've listened to other commentators through exchanged skate tapes during the 90s and nowadays on YouTube, I have to say the best of the best still are the British Eurosport commentators.

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    Besides all the obvious problems with Scott and Sandra, I add Mike Weiss to their list because he takes about 50x longer to say what he needs to say, and talks through the dramatic end of a program. Peter Carruthers used to have this problem as well, but he's gotten pretty good.

I think keeping a combination of one broadcaster and one expert commentator is best, and prevents too much talk over the programs. So for me, the best have been:

Terry Gannon (or Vern Lundquist) +
    ... Pairs: Peter Carruthers
    ... Dance: Susie Wynne
    ... Men: Johnny Weir, Kurt Browning, maybe Paul Wylie (for the technical side, but he doesn't have much to say about the rest)
    ... Ladies: Tara Lipinski (she's been really good lately)

vCash
    I'm surprised how many people like Tara! Peggy may have her faults (her grammatical errors drove me nuts!) but at least she tried to leave her own delusions out of it. Everything good about Tara ends up being eclipsed by her insistence during each and every event that she, injured and a decade past her prime, could be competing and place. Plus her habit of harping on how most of the women aren't driven or don't want it enough.. yesh. At least Scott is shopping for a show star, Sandra and Tara's bias just comes off as bitchy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    ...Sandra and Tara's bias just comes off as bitchy.
    As does yours.

vCash
    I really liked Gannon/Carruthers commentating at Skate Canada for UniSports (it was them correct?) They make a good combo, I wouldn't mind having them stick around for the rest of the season.

vCash
    That was in pairs, for sure.

In dance it was Blumberg & Gannon.

I haven't watched the men's or ladies yet.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234