View Poll Results: Your favorite Eligible Competition skate to Ave Maria (SP or LP)

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Totmianina-Marinin (2005 worlds SP)

18 23.38%
  • Shishkova-Naumov (1996 Centennial on ice- same as worlds SP)

10 12.99%
  • Sarah Hughes 2002 Oly SP

3 3.90%
  • Fumie Suguri 2002 Oly SP

28 36.36%
  • Belbin-Agosto 2010 USN Free dance

16 20.78%
  • Caroline Zhang USN SP (not sure of the year)

12 15.58%
  • Other

12 15.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.

vCash

Best competition skate to Ave Maria (SP or LP)

Here is the competition- Eligible only (since pros were covered in the other thread)- thread (I wrote that I wanted to separate the competition performances from the exhibition/pro performances).

Please pick TWO (since we have singles, pairs, ice dance, it would have been tough to compare them and pick just one) that are your most favorite competition performance skated to ANY version of Ave Maria. There are just too many to make separate categories.
    Last edited by Vash01; 10-09-2011 at 11:13 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Caroline Zhang's "Ave Maria" was her FS in 2007-08 (Senior debut season) and then she brought it back for 2009 Nationals.

Yankowskas/Coughlin's "Ave Maria" FS last season was personally memorable for me, especially their performance at 2011 US Nationals.

vCash
    I absolutely loved Suguri's SP and Belbin & Agosto's FD.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yankowskas/Coughlin's "Ave Maria" FS last season was personally memorable for me, especially their performance at 2011 US Nationals.
    I couldn't agree more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Caroline Zhang's "Ave Maria" was her FS in 2007-08 (Senior debut season) and then she brought it back for 2009 Nationals.

Thanks for the correction.

I have not seen Y&C's skate yet, and forgot to list it.

vCash
    Here it is:

Yankowskas & Coughlin 2011 U.S. Championships Free Skate "Ave Maria"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=incIOswvkv0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Here it is:

Yankowskas & Coughlin 2011 U.S. Championships Free Skate "Ave Maria"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=incIOswvkv0
    I never get tired of watching this performance.

vCash
    I think Fumie's Worlds performance was even better than the one she gave at the Olympics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfIMDI7doWI

She really came into her own with this program. Just sublime.

vCash
    I chose the Shishkova/Naumov program, though I've only seen the Worlds version. Still love it after all these years.

vCash
    Take Two: I don't really know how you can compare the different versions...That being said, of the programs listed, I like Fumie's the best. What a talent she was...makes me sad about the path she went down the past five years.
    Last edited by Triple Butz; 10-10-2011 at 09:18 PM.

vCash
    I loved Caroline Zhang's Ave Maria. It was her signature piece, IMO. That was the program that made me a fan.

vCash
    Caroline came through a few times with that program. She was the only U.S. lady to skate in the exhibition at the 2009 4CC. Then she sealed the U.S. victory at the World Team Trophy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Take Two: I don't really know how you can compare the different versions...That being said, of the programs listed, I like Fumie's the best. What a talent she was...makes me sad about the path she went down the past five years.
    Yeah, I think she has lost the support of most of the people who used to respect her skating, and probably has only a tiny minority of the fans that she used to have. Who would enjoy her as a professional skater? No idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzie Bear View Post
    I think Fumie's Worlds performance was even better than the one she gave at the Olympics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfIMDI7doWI

Love this performance. She moves wonderfully with music and I like the expansive feel the program has. I loved Y&C's performance as well, but I prefer the music used as a short program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzie Bear View Post

Have to agree. Not a big Fumie fan, but this one leaves me breathless every time.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Fumie Suguri's soft knees are perfect the music. Also the part with the smal jumps with the french name that i can't spell was totally sublime. the only thing bad about the program was that it ended too quickly! That program was the best of the bunch. It's a shame about her recent years.

Caroline made Ave Maria her piece though. She was incredibly consistent with it (at the time) and used it to be within medal contention at many competitions when she was transitioning to seniors. still angry about the 2009 US nationals... but let's not swerve off topic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    still angry about the 2009 US nationals... but let's not swerve off topic.
    Though some good came of it.
    2009 U.S. Nationals made me angry enough to forget about 2008 U.S. Nationals.

vCash
    I don't like Ave Maria as a competitive program, and as an exhibition it's not much better. The only one I ever kind of liked was Rudy Galindo's in 1996, as I was still high on his win at Nationals. I don't think the tempo is good for a skating program. It's kind of zzzzzz. Most of the people in the poll are kind of zzzzzzzzz too. (Obviously not Belbin/Agusto.)

vCash
    I voted Totmianina/Marinin for my favorite competitive program to Ave Maria. Something about the music paired with their sleek, smooth skating was just perfect for me. (And I still miss Tatiana's landing position on the throw jumps )

My second choice was Fumie. I always really liked her and thought this program suited her so well.

vCash
    I could only choose one, so I voted for Shishkova/Naumov because they had less votes than Fumie, but I loved them equally as much. S&N's SP was one of the highlights of the 1995/1996 season for me. That program was absolutely mesmerizing. I really liked this team, and this was my all-time favourite program of theirs. Thanks for posting this poll, Vash01