Thread: Skates Question

vCash

Skates Question

Hi everyone! So I finally started taking some learn to skate classes. I was pleasantly surprised to be with about 8 other adults. I was afraid I'd be the only one. However, it was apparent that there were different levels represented. One other woman and I were very comfortable on ice, and we could easily do two-foot glides and forward swizzles. So we got moved to a separate class where we could go at a faster pace.

So today was only my second official class, and we were doing one foot glides. I was so bad at it, but I noticed I was having a hard time keeping my foot stable. I have super narrow feet (wear a AAA or AA in regular shoes), and they just feel like they slide around a lot in rental skates. I didn't figure this would be a big deal for beginner classes, but my narrower foot actually started to cramp up because I was trying so hard to keep it still.

The other person in my class actually had an old pair of Reidell's she wore pre-pregnancy (which no longer fit her post-pregnancy). They were a Sz. 8 (my usual size) and she is selling them, so she let me try them on for the end of open skate after our lesson. Wow, they made a huge difference. They fit so much tighter, and I could glide twice as far on one foot. They were still a bit wide in the heel (I couldn't really tell if they were wide in the box because my narrower foot is also my longer foot and it was a little squished in those boots).

Now I am lusting for my own skates. So I guess my question is, am I crazy? Would the extra width in rental skates really make that much a difference, or was it mostly mental? My original thought was going to be to wait til the end of this "semester" of classes and decide if I wanted to buy skates then. Those Reidell's just fit so much better though! Also, are some brands narrower than others? Width is a big concern for me.

I'm going to ask around here (at the rink) too, but I thought I'd gather some opinions. I'm having so much fun skating, and I'm really excited to go to the rink each time. I went to an open skate during the day to practice, but I guess they let the figure skaters go out there if there aren't too many there for the open skate. I had a blast watching them speed around me to do their jumps and spins while I putted around. Guess we'll see how I do on rental skates this week.

Any other advice for a super beginner adult?

vCash
    Welcome to skating and you are not crazy. You are going through exactly what anyone who takes up skating goes through and it is a perfectly natural response to addiction to the sport.

I would not hesitate in suggesting getting your own skates. Hire skates are basically crap. If those second hand skates fit you well and are comfortable buy them as it will give you a chance to at least get started without shelling out a stack of money for a brand new pair of boots that could take some time to break in. And then when you do decide to get a new pair you can always resell them.

Also some brands are better for different widths of feet. I wear Jackson boots because they make a great boot for a wide foot. Risport are okay for people who have narrower feet. Not sure about the brands but there will be others here who can give some feedback on their choices of boots.

Good luck with it anyway and keeping enjoying the joys of skating.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Talk to your instructors and ask them what skate shops they recommend or where they go for themselves. You want to make sure you get the best fit possible. Most skating shops carry Riedell and they make a nice line of beginner skates.

These might be good for you, and a reputable shop will make sure they fit you properly.

http://www.ice.riedellskates.com/Pro...uctName=133-TS

http://www.ice.riedellskates.com/Pro...uctName=229-TS

vCash
    You aren't crazy to feel that well fitting skates help. Since you have narrow feet (I do too) you know how nice it is to have shoes that fit well rather than slipping off withe very step.

The brand Wifa is good for narrow feet. As a kid I was an AA width in a boot that was already considered narrow. Oh how I miss my Wifas.

Go to a skate store and try on a few different brands and models. Don't be scared at the price, you are investing in something you will wear for a few years.

vCash
    Whatever you do, don't buy skates that are a "bargain" because they *almost* fit perfectly. Buy skates that fit perfectly, because you will skate better in them and they will last you twice as long. If the heels in the borrowed skates do not feel snug, do not buy them. Once you start doing shoot-the-ducks and sit spins, it will be dangerous for your heel to slip up in the boot because your blade will catch in the ice and you'll go down. Get your feet properly measured (length, width at heel, and width at ball) and get the most reasonably priced skates that fit you properly in all three measurements. I speak from experience.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Synchkat View Post
    You aren't crazy to feel that well fitting skates help. Since you have narrow feet (I do too) you know how nice it is to have shoes that fit well rather than slipping off withe very step.

The brand Wifa is good for narrow feet. As a kid I was an AA width in a boot that was already considered narrow. Oh how I miss my Wifas.

Go to a skate store and try on a few different brands and models. Don't be scared at the price, you are investing in something you will wear for a few years.
    That's mine too, Wifa.

vCash
    If you have as much fun as you sound to have, you have caught the addiction that is skating

Own boots are a must as early as possible. And they are a really good investment. You only need to sharpen them once in a while but they should last a few years at least before you need new boots so they are not really that expensive in the long run but well worth it.
    You will skate much more securely in well fitted boots and you can skate in really thin socks as well (something I wouldn't like to do in rentals...) which gives you better contact to the ice.
    (I like to skate in very thin nylon socks myself and only wear ankle bunga pads for extra protection around the ankles.)