Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Yeah, I know. So the question is: Will he be doing SGP next season or will the federation return him to JGP, hoping he could win two events and then the final?

As for Junior Worlds, they'll most likely send him again (and again).

What I think is really holding Chinese skating back is the "YOU ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH" mentality. Chinese skaters have to prove themselves many times over before they get sent anywhere and then it's Hotel California.
    But China does have some strong junior men coming up. The field is no longer depleted like before. He Zhang (who finished 6th at Jr Worlds) and Boyang Jin (who already has a 3axel and 4toe at 14) are both developing very nicely and will be able to hold their own on the JGP next season. Besides I think China can't wait to send Yan Han to senior worlds next year where he'd probably place pretty well if he skates up to his potential. There's already talk of him getting Lori Nicol's choreography for next season (I'm hoping for someone else but you get the idea). I don't think China would be willing to invest in him if they weren't planning to let him do big senior championships.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    I don't think China would be willing to invest in him if they weren't planning to let him do big senior championships.
    He Zhang could really benefit from some foreign choreography/coaching as well. He has great skating basics, great lines and musicality, but very generic music/choreography.

Title-less
    vCash
    More importantly, He Zhang needs a bigger 2A. With the size of his 2A I don't see a 3A coming any time soon.

That said, I LOOOOVE Zhang anyway

vCash
    it's funny that we really have someone named He Zhang. Cause before, we always call the male partner of Z/Z "He Zhang" haha. I still think we're talking about Hao Zhang when i see He Zhang sometimes. lol

vCash
    IMO it's only a matter of time before China becomes a force in singles too. The Chinese government seems willing to support their athletes financially. Pairs was just the first step for them. Even in the past the Chinese men have been good jumpers. They will focus on developing presentations too.

vCash
    Just saw Han Yan's Junior World's win - impressive!! The 3A and quads were beautiful, brought to mind the hight and trajectory of Yagudin.

vCash
    I think we're now at the point where you can see a big shift in the right direction.

Both Han Yan and He Zhang have quite good basics and are not just jumpers, which shows that Chinese coaches finally started to work on the whole package.

Shine - I do hope that Boyang Jin is sent to two JGP events (can't understand why he wasn't sent this season) and that Han Yan does 4CC and Senior Worlds.

Hopefully Nan Song will manage to secure two spots for China for next year.

Title-less
    vCash
    I thought Jin is not old enough? Only 12 by Western calendar?

ETA: Ah, found the post that made me think he's 12:

Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    Boyang Jin did a quad toe in the exhibition practice at Cup of China. He was running around on the ice, having fun, not intimidated at all by the seniors. So cute.
    He told me that he was 13 at the Asian Trophy and will turn 14 in October. His coach thought he was too young for JGP, which wouldn't be the case if he was indeed born in 1997. However, Chinese sometimes "add" a year to their age (like the Koreans) if he did that he just would have turned 13. I guess we'll have to wait and see when he shows at the latest next year on the JGP what his official birthdate is. If he was too young for JGP and therefore wasn't sent then at least his dob wasn't "adapted".
    Last edited by jlai; 03-10-2012 at 04:34 PM.

vCash
    Speaking of Chinese skaters...how are the pairs teams from Chen Lu and Denis Petrov's group doing?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    And now the question is:

Will he compete in Senior events next season or will the Chinese federation pick the "Sui/Han" route?
    Sui/Han have earned a boatload of money so far this year, but I'm not sure S/H's 1sts at JGP covered all of the costs of their coach, officials, etc. A skater would need a 5th at a GP to earn the same as 1st at a GJP, but the chances of making GPF vs. JGPF are slimmer and the ranking points would be higher.

JGP Riga-1st, $3K
    JGP Insbruck-1st, $3K
    SC-2nd, $13K
    CoC-5th, $2K
    JGPF-1st, $9K
    Four Continents-1st, $22.5K
    Jr. Worlds-1st, $15K

The World Championships Preview isn't out with the list of prize money for 2012. In 2011, money was awarded to teams in 1st-12th place, from $67.5K to $3K. It's unlikely that if S/H are sent, they won't earn some cash.

They could send Han to compete at JGP, but then 4C's and Worlds instead of Jr. Worlds.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    More importantly, He Zhang needs a bigger 2A. With the size of his 2A I don't see a 3A coming any time soon.

That said, I LOOOOVE Zhang anyway
    I found a video (recent, I think) of him practicing the 3A. Looks like he's really getting close!
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzMyNTEwNTY0.html

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    I found a video (recent, I think) of him practicing the 3A. Looks like he's really getting close!
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzMyNTEwNTY0.html
    I hope he'll kickass next season.

vCash
    Here is an interview (in EN) form Han Yan after JWC. Some interesting points

I hope he'll kickass next season.
    He definitely will if he gains consistency. And I also have a hope with Jin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sharonz View Post
    Here is an interview (in EN) form Han Yan after JWC. Some interesting points

He definitely will if he gains consistency. And I also have a hope with Jin.
    "The coach said I had the talent and just needed professional training," said Yan, whose grandfather is a skating enthusiast and made his own skates.
    Love his grandfather

Despite his growing reputation and increasing expectations, Yan said he has a long way to go to catch up with the world's best skaters.

"I feel there is still a considerable gap between myself and the senior masters. I am confident with my jumps and sliding on the international stage, but I need to improve my performing and spins," said Yan, who was not satisfied with his spins during the short program at the worlds.
    Can't imagine a Chinese skater 10 years ago say that if they could spin as well as he

Yan said his favorite skater is Canadian Patrick Chan and he hopes one day to have the chance to perform programs by Canadian figure skating choreographer Lori Nichol, who works with Chan and several Chinese pairs, including Vancouver Olympic champions Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo.
    Expect good things from him everyone! This boy has his eyes set in the right places! How wonderful it is to have a perfect combination of talent, hard work, a honest and down to earth attitude, and great aspirations.

vCash
    Yes, Han Yan does appear to be absolutely amazing on and off the ice.

Title-less
    vCash
    I was just going over Chinese skating news, and one recent article said Li Chengjiang actually had to give up his lucrative position at his old club to teach the national team which only offers a meager salary (only several thousand instead of 10 thousand or more at the old club)

All for the purpose of building a good national Chinese team

vCash
    Li Chengjiang actually had to give up his lucrative position at his old club to teach the national team which only offers a meager salary (only several thousand instead of 10 thousand or more at the old club)

All for the purpose of building a good national Chinese team
    It would not surprise me if Mingzhu Li gave up even more for her position. I'm sure she was doing well financially in the U.S., with a junior world champion as her protege.

Title-less
    vCash
    Sorry for slight OT, this is a news article about Huang XinTong

http://news.dayoo.com/sports/201204/..._108048201.htm

She said she is aiming at top ten at worlds next year with her partner. She said one big obstacle is the shyness of Chinese teams and the inability to project the dance themes effectively. She said her partner doesn't talk much

Title-less
    vCash
    Boyang Jin got second in Qiqihar this month at a national competition. He landed a quad with +2 GOE in the free and a tes of 78

vCash

It will be interesting to see him on the JGP next season!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast