Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It's not just Yan Han, there are more.

Nan Song got the silver medal at the JGPF in the previous season.

And there is Boyang Jin who is absolutely amazing for a 13-year old.

Boyang Jin - SP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzMtbotbeOk

Boyang Jin - FS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go1NVYJ7iqw&
    Nan Song hasn't exactly made a splash in the seniors. If Jin had done JGP and done well then things would certainly look different.

vCash
    My guess now is Yan Han will get Junior Worlds again (even though he is senior eligible this year) and Nan Song will get Senior Worlds.

Kexin Zhang looks like a frontrunner in ladies for the 1 worlds spot, but I'm thinking they will use 4CC to determine between her at Bingwa Geng for the Worlds spot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    My guess now is Yan Han will get Junior Worlds again (even though he is senior eligible this year) and Nan Song will get Senior Worlds.

Kexin Zhang looks like a frontrunner in ladies for the 1 worlds spot, but I'm thinking they will use 4CC to determine between her at Bingwa Geng for the Worlds spot
    I like Geng, she is so much more expressive and put-together than Zhang, Zhang doesn't show any emotion, it's like serious face 24/7. However, at the same time Zhang is far, far more consistent in the jumps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post

The problem with Chinese skating is bizarre and illogical selection rules, typical for such an authoritarian bureaucracy.

Certain skaters are favoured whilst others aren't and I have no clue why.

Many times in the past, skaters who have placed and scored much lower than others at 4CC ended up being selected to Worlds.

I mean why wasn't Boyang Jin sent to JGP?

So I wouldn't count on 4CC being used, politics will probably prevail as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    I like Geng, she is so much more expressive and put-together than Zhang, Zhang doesn't show any emotion, it's like serious face 24/7. However, at the same time Zhang is far, far more consistent in the jumps.
    Geng CAN be expressive but her programs don't show it off.

I mean in her FS, she's just skating right through the music from one jump to another until the last seconds of the program (straight line steps).

All three Chinese girls that competed at CoC had abysmal programs, consisted of simply stroking from one element to another, without any style or character.

Why isn't Minzghu Li addressing that at all?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    What an amazing kid! I will remember this name: Boyang Jin.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

Geng CAN be expressive but her programs don't show it off.

I mean in her FS, she's just skating right through the music from one jump to another until the last seconds of the program (straight line steps).

All three Chinese girls that competed at CoC had abysmal programs, consisted of simply stroking from one element to another, without any style or character.

Why isn't Minzghu Li addressing that at all?
    ITA, wasn't she the one who took Lu Chen to the US in order to get better choreography? She should know what to do...

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    No wonder Bingwa's coach looked so familiar.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I also notice that every Chinese girl's (in the Li Mingzhu camp) programs (Geng, Zhang, Li) ends with a painful-looking backbend. ALL OF THEM.

vCash
    Also interesting to note that Chinese nationals are in September. My guess is that the results from that competition have less significance vs. other countries' nationals in determining Worlds/4CC spots.

Furthermore, the Chinese Nationals now have an Interpretive Segment for the singles (only 6 elements + 2 times Components) that counts towards the combined score....a cynical person could think that segment is open for a little manipulation depending on skater preference...

ETA: Han Yan's Exhibition at 2011 Cup of China
    Last edited by Seerek; 11-06-2011 at 09:26 PM.

vCash
    Where else are the Chinese competing during the Grand Prix circuit?

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    I agree Hedwig, the Chinese and the Russians have some great young skaters to move up and I imagine will make an impact at Sochi.. does anyone know who the chinese coaches are and what have they done differently to develop these young skaters??? I'm also very impressed at the level of artistry and beautiful lines many of these new skaters are developing as well..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Boyang Jin did a quad toe in the exhibition practice at Cup of China. He was running around on the ice, having fun, not intimidated at all by the seniors. So cute.
    He told me that he was 13 at the Asian Trophy and will turn 14 in October. His coach thought he was too young for JGP, which wouldn't be the case if he was indeed born in 1997. However, Chinese sometimes "add" a year to their age (like the Koreans) if he did that he just would have turned 13. I guess we'll have to wait and see when he shows at the latest next year on the JGP what his official birthdate is. If he was too young for JGP and therefore wasn't sent then at least his dob wasn't "adapted".

vCash
    The packaging of Nan Song, Zhang Kexin and Geng Bingwa was poor. They all have nice jumps and decent basics, but those empty and uninspiring programs, skating through the music and ugly & laboured crossovers Someone needs to fly in a foreign choreographer to station in China for at least 1 month every season. What is Tom Dickson doing these days?

Well, at least the girls all have very pretty laybacks now.

Perhaps this is all going to be moot when Zhang He and Li Zijun are old enough for senior Worlds (next season?).

vCash
    Zhang He doesn't have a 3a. Are you thinking of Yan Han? He's already eligible now but doesn't have a 4toe. I think that overall he's a stronger skater than Song Nan but they'll probably send him to Junior Worlds and Song will go to Senior Worlds like Seerek said.

And yes, Li Zijun is going to blow all the Ladies out of the water next season unless puberty strikes. Although she's grown quite a bit already and seems fine so hopefully that won't be too much of an issue.

vCash
    Zhang He and Yan Han are both great. IIRC, although Zhang He did not have the 3axel, his style along with the rest of his skating got him competitive with guys who landed 2 3axels.

Does China only have 1 spot for men at Junior Worlds? Total shame if true.

vCash
    Since Yan finished in the top 10 last year, wouldn't China have 2 spots this year? Assuming Yan will not be sent to Sr. Worlds, he's a lock for the Jr. world team. The Chinese fed probably would prefer that if they want to get a possible 3rd spot for next season. I am not sure who will be chosen to be sent alongside Yan, though.

vCash
    If Boyang Jin really is too young, then I guess Han Yan and He Zhang will go to Junior Worlds.

vCash
    I'm pretty sure that Yan has a quad toe... I think he landed it on the JGP this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Since Yan finished in the top 10 last year, wouldn't China have 2 spots this year? Assuming Yan will not be sent to Sr. Worlds, he's a lock for the Jr. world team. The Chinese fed probably would prefer that if they want to get a possible 3rd spot for next season. I am not sure who will be chosen to be sent alongside Yan, though.
    Yan Han was 6th at 2011 Junior Worlds IIRC and thus qualified 2 spots for Chinese men for Junior Worlds 2012.

I think the logical candidate for that 2nd spot would be Zhang He, who narrowly lost the gold at JGP Latvia and is currently 2nd alternate to JGPF. In Latvia, he lost by less than 1 point to someone who landed 2 3axels, while he didn't land a single 3axel and had other jump issues. So the judges definitely liked him. He was already getting mid 6s in PCS.

vCash
    Okay, I just looked it up. Yan Han fully rotated a quad toe in both of this competitions on the JGP this year. In Milan it was a little shaky, but in Austria, it was beautiful, with +2 and +3 all across the board from the judges. I think he's pretty set for senior competitions next season.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast