Thread: House season 8

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash

House season 8

Did anyone watch the season premiere? I thought it was pretty good, much better than anything from last season. House in prison was interesting and seeing Urkel in prison was cool too
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    I did. I'm rejoicing because there won't be any more Huddy storylines (partly because I can't stand Lisa Edelstein's whiny delivery - even when she was on Felicity she sounded like she was whining even when her character wasn't supposed to be). House is more fun when he's being a smart-alecky wise-ass, and we got that right off the top of the episode.

vCash
    Hated it. I don't care about this show anymore sadly
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I posted in the Dramas thread since there wasn't a separate one. I liked it for the most part -- good, but not great. I enjoyed seeing him in a position where he isn't in charge and isn't able to have everything go his way ... but still manages to maintain a certain level of control. I did think the young doctor was pretty unbelievable, though, just handing over a handful of pills like that. Not to mention putting her career in jeopardy. I wouldn't want to see a whole season of House in jail -- and it wasn't as good as House in the psychiatric institution -- but it was a good one-off episode.

And while I didn't hate Huddy, I viewed it more as a necessary evil ... I'm glad it's all over. Plus the inevitable power games with the new boss (whenever House does end up back at PP, which of course we know he will) has all kinds of potential.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    I had given up on last season and didn't even know why he was in prison

But liked the episode ok. Wondering where it's going to go from here.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    I really liked it.Looks like this could be interesting.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Just heard Hugh Laurie sing the blues on the radio and it was good. He sings too? :eek;

I remember there was a House episode involving a savant piano genius with Dave Mathews as guest star. And it was Hugh Laurie who really played the piano in the episode and not Mathews, ironic, innit.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Just heard Hugh Laurie sing the blues on the radio and it was good. He sings too? :eek;
    He also is a published author (I'm reading a novel of his right now)
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    He had a blues special on Great Performances (PBS) last week. I recorded but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Might or might not be available online: http://video.pbs.org/video/2094167554

He also has blues album just out, called Let Them Talk. Again, I have it on order, haven't had a chance to listen yet.

If you ever saw his sketch comedy series in the UK with Stephen Fry (A Bit of Fry and Laurie), he often did musical numbers in that. But the focus was more on the comedy there than on really good music.

My favourite performance of his on House was in the first or second season when he played Oscar Peterson's Hymn to Freedom. I was hoping that would be on the album, but it's not really blues. (Plus of course Oscar Peterson is the best in the world ...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    He also is a published author (I'm reading a novel of his right now)
    The Gun Seller? That was a good one. I don't think there's anything the man can't do!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I did not know he was an author as well.He is quite talented!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Just heard Hugh Laurie sing the blues on the radio and it was good. He sings too?
    Go to YouTube. There are a ton of Hugh Laurie vids on there, both comedy sketches from the British TV shows he was on, and music clips.

Little Girl

Mystery - this is my favorite clip.

What I Mind

A Bit of Fry & Laurie - The Polite Rap - and for a change of pace...

Shake Your Bootie, Mr. Laurie - ...He can also dance

Squeeee!!! I just found out that he has a new album out, called Let Them Talk. You must have heard a song from that. I am SOOOO getting this ASAP!
    Last edited by Karina1974; 10-06-2011 at 03:40 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    He had a blues special on Great Performances (PBS) last week. I recorded but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. http://video.pbs.org/video/2094167554
    Well, I just watched it, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Tho more as a travelogue/documentary about New Orleans blues than as a music performance. The music was good, don't get me wrong -- their rendition of St James Infirmary was particularly fine -- but overall I find Laurie to be a very good but not excellent musician. (If I want truly great jazz/blues/boogie woogie piano playing, I'll still pick Oscar Peterson, Diana Krall, Michael Kaeshammer, or Art Tatum.)

But there's no denying Laurie's passion, and for a guy who basically does music "in his spare time" ... very impressive.

I'm amused, though, to think of him in comparison to his former comedy partner, Stephen Fry. Fry recendly did a not dissimilar music-based travelogue/documentary, only the focus of his was Richard Wagner. Talk about night & day!

vCash
    I missed the season opener. Anybody got a recap for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    But there's no denying Laurie's passion, and for a guy who basically does music "in his spare time" ... very impressive.
    I saw Hugh in concert last week. He was at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival and he was was soooo excited to be performing there. The passion really does come through. I don't think he's a truly great musician, but he's pretty good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I missed the season opener. Anybody got a recap for me?
    Season opener was a one-off episode with House in jail. He has various deals going with various gangs to keep himself alive, but he's still very much "in jail" and feeling it. He has 1 week to go before parole when another prisoner develops mysterious medical symptoms that of course only he can solve. He ends up having to break about a zillion rules to do it, ending up with a further 8 months tacked on to his sentence. (If you saw this week's episode, he was basically just starting out the extended sentence when Foreman sprang him.)

So I caught up with Monday's episode last night ... what do we think of his "new team" aka Dr. Park? I quite liked the character, but wasn't too sure about the actor. Mostly I just wish she'd learn to enunciate! I missed about 30% of her lines because she was mumbling. I did like her shy-on-the-surface-but-really-assertive persona, though, and she's obviously very sharp and seems suited to the job. I think there's potential there.

And Foreman as Dean of Medicine? I guess it's not too surprising, and he's probably better at handling House than anyone else. But still, I'm not sure.

I did think they'd stretch out Wilson's unliking of House for longer, but about mid-way through the episode when House said "Either punch me in the face or kick me in the nuts, whatever you need to do to get over it" ... well it was pretty clear how the episode would end.