Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    pass the sock

strong story, but he also danced well
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Oh, my God, look at that extension. Straight knees, lovely stretch...he's gotta be the best non-ringer since Apolo!
    The feet! The feet!

Was Gilles a ringer?

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I'm not exactly bawling, but I'm certainly teary. And he manages to tell the most devastating story and still keep an upbeat, positive attitude.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    If they give that trophy to Derek instead of Karina and JR this year, somebody needs to be hurt.
    I'll bring the pitchforks, you bring the torches.

Nitpicky Len is nitpicky. The arms weren't great, the legs (which are harder) were fantastic for one of the celebs! (Ye gods, Bruno the technical genius?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    I'm sorry, I have complete respect for JR, but choosing that song was emotionally manipulative and the dance itself was like one of those interpretive things that Pfeiffer cartoons mock.
    My sister spent a year in Iraq--it' a different perspective--but I am so grateful she came home. Many did not. Sometimes we forget that.
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    I'm bawling. I adore JR. And he's one hell of a dancer.

That was beautiful.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    JR's scores:

9 8 9

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    The feet! The feet!

Was Gilles a ringer?
    Gilles wasn't this good by week 3! Is this really only week 3?

Gonna say, better be some nines...

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    It's not just the emotion, he's the best male celeb this season without question. I haven't decided who is the best female, but JR is the best male. And Karina is a good partner for him.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Wow.. pass the kleenex or what, that was a beautiful and emotional dance and beyond that I think JR is helping us all to look beyond the surface and the beauty just shines out of him.... I really hope they win the lot
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by suep1963 View Post
    My sister spent a year in Iraq--it' a different perspective--but I am so grateful she came home. Many did not. Sometimes we forget that.
    I don't forget it, and I realize what I wrote can be taken to be insensitive, which is not what I meant. I think using that terrible experience in this show, in this way, to that determinedly tearjerking music, is manipulative and not respectful of the experience.

But then I've always hated "Skating to the Holocaust" too, so it may just be me.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I'm sorry, I have complete respect for JR, but choosing that song was emotionally manipulative and the dance itself was like one of those interpretive things that Pfeiffer cartoons mock.
    All of the stories and music try to be emotionally manipulative tonight, it's just that his story has more emotion than Kristin's "I had to decide whether to go to college or be on reality tv." He's telling a story that is real to him and many people he knew, and not just made up for effect.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Wow, Nancy has a little daughter who nearly didn't make it as a baby. Suddenly her going ape$#!& ballistic over little Caylee Anthony makes a TON of sense.

And JR, emotional manipulation aside (and let's be fair, EVERYONE is being manipulative tonight, that's the whole theme, he just happens to have a story only a total jerk or member of al-Qaeda wouldn't find moving) is just technically incredible. Even last week, the content wasn't necessarily a perfect jive, but Lindy is harder if anything! He has incredibly good lines.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    All of the stories and music try to be emotionally manipulative tonight, it's just that his story has more emotion than Kristin's "I had to decide whether to go to college or be on reality tv." He's telling a story that is real to him and many people he knew, and not just made up for effect.
    I guess you're right. What else can someone with that dramatic story do? Carson's story was, superficially, cliched as well, but the way he told it I liked it a lot. I suppose there's nothing that could dramatize JR's story that wouldn't seem to me like Dancing to Iraqi War Dead, but again I think I'm an outlier, don't mind me.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    I don't forget it, and I realize what I wrote can be taken to be insensitive, which is not what I meant. I think using that terrible experience in this show, in this way, to that determinedly tearjerking music, is manipulative and not respectful of the experience.

But then I've always hated "Skating to the Holocaust" too, so it may just be me.
    It will come across as that for some people, but honestly, the military guys love this stuff--they don't see it as hokey or manipulative. I mean, have you ever been a military funeral? They have a pair of combat boots, a rifle in the boots with a helmet on the rifle. They call the soldier's name three time. When someone does not respond for roll call, they are called three times--after three calls with no response, they are AWOL. So really, this song is no more tearjerky than that. Different culture altogether.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Hee, I knew Len would like the intro (which is about as purely normal for ballroom as you can get.)

That was...a nice kinda bronze waltz. She could have stretched a lot more through the back and used her arms a bit more, but nice. On par with Rob and Valley Girl, not as good as JR but no one has been.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Nancy's scores:

7 7 7

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    That's a pretty color for Nancy.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Can't we get Ricki to dance w/o Derek? Ugh...

vCash
    Did Nancy pass gas while standing next to Brooke? Seriously, I'm not joking.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast