Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Madonna May Perform Halftime at Super Bowl

Was being reported on ESPN but no confirmation by Madonna's camp. She'll have to dress appropriately for the event. Don't need a wardrobe issue.

Madonna's Super Bowl

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    Was being reported on ESPN but no confirmation by Madonna's camp. She'll have to dress appropriately for the event. Don't need a wardrobe issue.

Madonna's Super Bowl
    Halftime is always when I clean up a little and put out new food - so sad I'll miss it.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Another good reason to not watch.
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

vCash
    It would be fun to see her, and I'm sure she would put on a great show. But the best Super Bowl shows have been by more mainstream rock acts, e.g. Springsteen, the Who, Prince. Acts that are more toward dance music, like the Black Eyed Peas last year, don't seem to do as well. Now I would be the first to say that Madonna >>>>>>> BEPs, but I don't really think Madonna really has the kind of music that would go over that big with partying football fans.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    When did halftime at the Super Bowl become an AARP event? It has been the same thing the last few years. I thought the Super Bowl, like any other television event, wanted those 18-whatever demographics. Well past their prime 50+ aged musicians don't seem to fit the bill.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Nothing against Madonna at all, but I can only think of maybe one song per decade that might be performable for a general audience.

vCash
    Really? I can think of tons. As far as whether or not the act can entertain and put on a good show, the Superbowl could do far worse than the solo artist with the highest selling tour of all time (happened in 2008-2009).

I think if Madonna does it, it'll make sense as she's releasing her 12th Album in early 2012 and she'll probably have a lead-up single to promote the album before release.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    When did halftime at the Super Bowl become an AARP event?
    in a related note, they will be moving it to 3 PM so no one has to stay up too late
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Perform? You mean she's not going to sing?

vCash
    When did halftime at the Super Bowl become an AARP event? It has been the same thing the last few years. I thought the Super Bowl, like any other television event, wanted those 18-whatever demographics. Well past their prime 50+ aged musicians don't seem to fit the bill.
    Would you prefer Lady Gaga?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    In that case, Madonna can sing "Express Yourself" and the really young watchers will think she's covering "Born This Way."
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    How about Madonna covering Lady Gaga

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I don't actually mind Madonna. I was just making an observation about who they have been choosing the last few years. I would rather watch Simon and Garfunkel than the Black Eyed Peas but it doesn't mean I understand the decision from a ratings/audience perspective.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Your comment reminds me of the complaining over the years during Grammy/American Music Awards time about all the "old" people invited, performing and receiving awards. Maybe it's the fact that many of the older acts are the ones with talent and staying power while most of the younger crowd are mostly image/PR dependent. Also to be fair, todays audiences seem much more fickle and into who's in and who's out. Seems to me most of the newer acts are designed to hit really quickly while they are the current "it" performer before the next "it" person comes along. Of course there are exceptions.

Of course this is IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Nothing against Madonna at all, but I can only think of maybe one song per decade that might be performable for a general audience.
    Not the biggest Madonna fan but it's not her songs that aren't suitable for a general audience, it's mostly the way she chose to present those songs on stage and in videos that rendered them racy. These days most of the younger performers are trying to keep in the spotlight so seem to be trying to outdo each other on how controversial and provocative their performances are. Rihanna for example is even worse than Madonna in that respect.

vCash
    Well, she can't be any worse than the Black Eyed Peas.

I'd like to see Arcade Fire do the halftime show, but I guess they're not a big enough name even if they won the grammy for best album last year. Or Foo Fighters might be a good choice since they have a new album out and they have a balance between having been around a while, but not being totally geriatric.

The last good SB halftime show I remember was Prince from 2007 I think it was. BEP were an embarrassment as well as The Who. They are of course a legendary band, but the halftime performance was pathetic.

When Janet Jackson's nipple came out.
    Last edited by jenny12; 10-04-2011 at 06:16 AM.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Madonna -

Now, if they got Rammstein to perform during halftime, I'd be glued to the TV. THAT's a band that would get the crowd fired up, so to speak .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    The last good SB halftime show I remember was Prince from 2007 I think it was. BEP were an embarrassment as well as The Who.
    coughBruceSpringsteencough
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    In the 70s the halftime event used to be marching bands. Those were the days.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    The Superbowl history according to The Simpsons, there was the wedding of Pacman and Ms. Pacman some time in the early 80s. Their post-ceremony song was Olivia Newton-John's "Physical"!

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I wonder if Super Bowl fans will have trouble understanding Madonna's British accent?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast