Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I don't understand your

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I'm pretty sure she claimed that most of what she told the police was under extreme duress and that she became extremely confused. She also did not have the command of the language then, that she has now.
    I doubt she was interrogated in italian. I remember she said she was confused etc etc, but she never recanted her accusation towards Patrick Lubumba (uhm I hope I spelled that correctly).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I hope she has enough sense (or her parents do) to be on the first flight out of Italy and mark that off her future vacation spots. Maybe she's a little less privileged and self-centered now than she was then and will party a little less hardy.
    She may not be allowed to leave, yet.

vCash
    Italy does not have a double jeopardy law. The prosecution has stated their intent to appeal the overturning of the conviction. They have commented that she could be a flight risk, and they want her to be forced to stay in Italy while they file for an appeal of the appeal. This may not be over.

That's not what I read on CNN (see the link I posted earlier). They do have a double jeopardy law. If the highcourt upholds this verdict, she cannot be tried again for this crime. She can leave the country right now. She does not have to wait for the appeal to be filed. It will be 90 days before a report of this trial will be filed. Then the appeal. I don't see anything keeping her in Italy that long, and I hope she will be wise and get out of there ASAP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Oh, I'm glad too. But still, to falsely accuse someone else of murder = nasty evil cow in my book. She would have gladly seen an innocent man go to jail. Kind of ironic.
    "Nasty evil cow"? Really. Wow, let's stick you in that predicament and see how you fare. Knox wasn't knowlingly (let alone gladly!) falsely accusing anyone. That was a result of pounding by investigators ... they wear you down until you're finally willing to conject on "who might have done this evil deed, then?".

Given the crap that has been revealed of this railroading and "investigation," I am 99% willing to believe that ANYTHING she said or was purported to say to Italian authorities was ill gotten. And the "conviction" for the "false accusation" smacks of still more bullshit ... people say who they think might have "done it" thousands of times a day. And if you think it's true, how the hell is that $$$ award worthy? Oh, right, when the authorities have a nation whipped into a frenzy against an Ugly American. Got it.

Of course, Italy will dearly hold on to that conviction now since Know seems to have escaped their "big one".

You want ironic? That would be that Knox would have never been in the situation to "give a name" if SHE hadn't been railroaded herself. Chicken/egg, you know.
    Last edited by Beefcake; 10-03-2011 at 09:49 PM.

vCash
    Oh, I'm glad too. But still, to falsely accuse someone else of murder = nasty evil cow in my book. She would have gladly seen an innocent man go to jail. Kind of ironic.
    We don't know the circumstances under which she accused him. When people are afraid for their lives, they do strange things. That does not excuse a lie, but may be she really thought it was that guy who killed her friend.

vCash
    If the Knox family didn't have a plan in place to leave ASAP, I would be totally I wonder if they have a private plane on standby

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Wow, let's stick you in that predicament and see how you fare.
    I'd hope I'd know better than to falsely accuse someone of murder. We can use youth as an excuse, but she was a university student, not a six year old. Surely old enough to know between right and wrong.

And I can't help the fact that her face screams to me entitled brat. I imagined she's learned quite a bit from the experience if nothing else.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    The record of Knox's interrogation/confession is so messed up that I wonder how much of her accusation was of the "if anyone killed my roommate, it was X" versus something where she indicated she had actual evidence. But even if she made a direct accusation, I don't think that bears on her innocence. According to Italian police, she "confessed" to the crime after intensive interrogation. Once she realized that the confession woudl be used to convict her, she may have been willing to say anythin to point the blame elsewhere.
    According to this timeline of the case, Knox, Sollecito, and Lumumba were all arrested on the same day (four days after the murder), so I can imagine a scenario where the police interrogation could have led her to try to put the blame in his direction if the police indicated that they suspected him of being involved, rather than on her and Rafael. As I said, I have never seen/read a transcript of the police interrogation, so I'm only speculating here, like most of us. I don't know exactly what was said to her nor what her responses were.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I don't understand your
    I don't understand your quoting me along with your comment. I never talked about double jeopardy.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I read that Amanda's passport expired while she was in prison so she will have to get it renewed before she can leave. I don't think she could get it renewed while she was in prison.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I'd hope I'd know better than to falsely accuse someone of murder. We can use youth as an excuse, but she was a university student, not a six year old. Surely old enough to know between right and wrong.

And I can't help the fact that her face screams to me entitled brat. I imagined she's learned quite a bit from the experience if nothing else.
    Never judge a person from her/his face. You only see what your biases allow you to.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Regarding leaving Italy - they said on CNN that her passport had expired during the time she's been incarcerated. That could be a little problematic as Rob noted above.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    I'm sure the Amer Embassy there will take care of that little problem for her.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Yeah, I had my passport stolen in Germany once and it took about 13 minutes to get a new one at the Consulate.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    I'm happy she was acquitted because I never, ever thought she was guilty based on the evidence presented. I'll never forget the TV interviews with her parents, so sad. I hope they can all move on with life now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I don't understand your quoting me along with your comment. I never talked about double jeopardy.
    Yes, sorry, I know you didn't mention double jeopardy. But you said you didn't think they would re-try her. That is not the impression I got from the statements the prosecutor made.

Prosecutor Manuela Comodi in a Sept. 24 closing statement denied that the experts’ findings had weakened the case and argued that Knox and Sollecito’s sentences should be extended to life terms.
    “Even setting aside the scientific evidence, the outcome of this case cannot be anything less” than the confirmation of the sentences, she said. Comodi also told news agency Ansa that, in case of an acquittal, the prosecution would appeal. In Italy, both prosecutors and defendants can appeal verdicts.
    ^^Bloomberg

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I read that Amanda's passport expired while she was in prison so she will have to get it renewed before she can leave. I don't think she could get it renewed while she was in prison.
    I think I'd jump in the Mediterranean and start swimming if necessary.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Yes, sorry, I know you didn't mention double jeopardy. But you said you didn't think they would re-try her. That is not the impression I got from the statements the prosecutor made.

^^Bloomberg
    We'll see - I don't think they will.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Prosecutor Manuela Comodi in a Sept. 24 closing statement
    Even setting aside the scientific evidence, the outcome of this case cannot be anything less” than the confirmation of the sentences, she said. Comodi also told news agency Ansa that, in case of an acquittal, the prosecution would appeal. In Italy, both prosecutors and defendants can appeal verdicts.
    OMG.

I know we, as a collective here, tend to WTF results of verdicts here*, but if a prosecutor ever said something like that, they'd be railroaded out of office. And rightfully so!

*(though most of the time it's on suspect acquitals ... IMO infinitely better than prosecutors driving for false convictions.)

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast