Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    They apparently have a verdict but are waiting to announce it. Could come any time within the next 90 minutes.

I am hearing that if she is freed she needs to leave Italy as quickly as humanly possible because the Prosecution will press charges again. There is not a double jeopardy law in Italy? How awful! They can continue to charge her forever, even if she is acquitted 10 times?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    When will the verdict come? Isn't it getting late in Italy?
    Actually what I heard on the news was that as early as 1 pm would have been their best guess. So I don't think that it is a little late to hear as yet.
    All networks have promised to break into broadcasting to announce the verdict, which seems a bit overkill to my mind

Oops you posted the above post by the time I finished this post

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I am hearing that if she is freed she needs to leave Italy as quickly as humanly possible because the Prosecution will press charges again. There is not a double jeopardy law in Italy? How awful! They can continue to charge her forever, even if she is acquitted 10 times?
    Would it be an acquittal or an overturning of a previous verdict? Even in the states the prosecutors can refile if a verdict is overturned on appeal.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    CNN banner indicating the announcement will be at 3:30 E.T., which seems very late in Italy. Do courts issue decisions that late? (Other than emergency injunctions and stays of death sentences I can't remember many here.) Not sure what, if anything, the timing implies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    There's no deadline. It was only guessing on the US media's part that suggested a verdict will be rendered today.
    I just saw on Twitter that the verdict will be read at 3:30 PM EST, according to CNN.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    The Italian court system is totally different than the US system, so I don't think you can read anything into anything. The fact they don't bother to sequester the jury and can and did use wildly circumstantial evidence is just bizarre in a capitol case.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    The Italian court system is totally different than the US system, so I don't think you can read anything into anything. The fact they don't bother to sequester the jury and can and did use wildly circumstantial evidence is just bizarre in a capitol case.
    ITA. That's why I am not getting my hopes up for Amanda.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    ITA. That's why I am not getting my hopes up for Amanda.
    I know. I think this is very political for the Italian system and I don't think they will allow themselves to look like they can get it wrong. I feel like Amanda's chances are very slim. If anything, I think they will just lower her sentence but I can't see them setting her free. I really hope I am wrong.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    Didn't they even want to turn her sentence into a lifelong one this time?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    she'd get more help if she was some clueless hitchhiker wandering about countries we dont get along with
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Here is a CNN article that answers many questions.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/02/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

My gut feeling is that they will not acquit her- it's a political decision. They will want to save face. However, they may reduce her sentence to something like 16 years (same as the actual killer).

If Amanda is cleared (low probability), she can leave for the USA, after completing the paperwork. What about Raffael? He may have to seek asylum, or something. I don't know how he could survive in a hostile environment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    Didn't they even want to turn her sentence into a lifelong one this time?
    Yes, the prosecution is asking that they give her a life sentence this time. If that happens then I hope there is some serious media attention.
    -Brian

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Man, after reading several of the comments here, I wasn't sure if I was in the Amanda Knox thread or had stumbled upon one about the West Memphis Three .

vCash
    An article from MSNBC:

http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...-in-knox-trial

Note the last sentence. That may be the reason they will not acquit her, no matter what the evidence says.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    If anyone is not on board with painting Amanda Knox as a wrongly imprisoned victim, go read Charles Mudede's posts on the Stranger blog (www.slog.thestranger.com). He is more than a little obsessed with her and her bewitching ways.

I'm not sure if Knox had anything to do with the murder. I think it's unlikely, but not impossible. The trial, and the evidence presented, however, were a complete joke, and her conviction should be thrown out. Like others, I don't hold out a lot of hope for it, though.
    Last edited by genevieve; 10-03-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: fixed link
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    That link comes up as a "domain name for sale" for me, gen.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    The reading of the verdict has been pushed back the 3:45 EDT.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Seriously...both of the OJ verdicts were read on my birthday. This needs to stop!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    That link comes up as a "domain name for sale" for me, gen.
    fixed, sorry
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Prick Admin
    vCash
    From what I recall, Amanda was basically convicted for being a nasty American bitch.
    She is for the following as far as I'm concerned:

Knox is also appealing an additional charge for which she was convicted: Defamation of Patrick Lumumba, the club owner whom Knox accused of killing Kercher. He was arrested but released after his alibi checked out. He later sued Knox for libel, winning 40,000 euros ($54,000) in damages.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast