Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins 2011 Japan Open

Coming in as a late replacement for Sarah Meier, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva has just won the Japan Open on her senior debut. She beat quite an impressive line up. The result was as follows:-

1. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva RUS – 118.59
    2. Joannie Rochette CAN – 112.74
    3. Akiko Suzuki JPN – 112.46
    4. Alena Leonova RUS – 108.39
    5. Alissa Czisny USA – 107.64
    6. Miki Ando JPN – 88.11

No videos available yet, but apparently she successfully landed six triples, including two triple-triple combinations - a triple lutz-triple toe, and a triple salchow-triple toe late on in the program. Her short program this season is Adios Nonino (a tango by Ástor Piazzolla) and her free skate is Besame Mucho (by Consuelo Velázquez). Here are some video's of her performing both programs earlier in the season.

Short Program & Free Skate

Short Program

As for Adelina Sotnikova, news from the Russian Test Skates is that she produced a near perfect performance of her new short program (hence, if there is a leg problem still, it obviously isn't causing her any major problems). Accordingly, looks like both Russian newbies will be entering the senior grand prix in very good form.

Evidently, Sotnikova's late withdrawal from the Ondrej Nepela Memorial event was to enable her to properly prepare for the Russian Test Skates.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 10-02-2011 at 03:56 AM.

vCash
    If she can hit this, that would be amazing. Still hoping for a triple axel though.

vCash
    Triple axels are overrated. If Mao had spent more time on her other triples then the axel maybe she wouldn't have had to fix her technique on them. No one has done them like Midori Ito.

vCash
    Liza at Japan Open was absolutely amazing. Her jumps and other elements were great, and her performance does not look junior-ish at all.

She and Jeffrey Buttle were the highlights of the competition for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Triple axels are overrated. If Mao had spent more time on her other triples then the axel maybe she wouldn't have had to fix her technique on them. No one has done them like Midori Ito.
    ITA. I remember Mishin saying Liza's triple axel isn't ready yet. Since she's training alongside with Plushenko and Gachinski, I think she has a pretty better chance of actually succeeding it in competition.

vCash
    uh, isn't this a big spoiler? can someone edit the title?

vCash
    Next question: how do you pronounce her last name? TOOK-tammy-shave-uh?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Took-tah-MI-sheh-vah

The mi- should be pronounced as in midnight. The sheh- should be pronounced as in sharing.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Tuktamysheva skates really juniorishly. Mad skills, but juniorish in every way pre-IJS.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I appreciate her potential but the use of the arms was IMO misguided in the Tango SP.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    A big spoiler for whom, may I ask? It's after the event, it happened, results are posted, deal with it. Thank you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    The event has already taken place and aired on TV. This is not a spoiler.

vCash
    She has very good technique just not a fan of her style but it's not that juniorish to me. I'm excited to see what happens in the next few years.

vCash
    There's quite a few things to work on (spins, for example), but I don't find her juniorish for a 14 year old. She seems quite expressive and connects with the music and the audience well. And obviously, the technical is great. She has a lot of transitions out of the jumps, but I hope she adds more going into them.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    I see great improvement over last year in presentation. Jumps are gorgeous, though the flip seems to give her the most trouble.

Her only weak point would be the spins. The positions could be improved, especially the layback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I don't think a girl has to have a triple axel like Midori Ito in order to make it worthwhile. Its still amazing Mao can do that jump.

I agree though that the focus shouldn't be on that jump alone, and it seems pretty clear that Elizaveta's coach agrees as well. Tukt has fabulous jumps..
    oleada There's quite a few things to work on (spins, for example), but I don't find her juniorish for a 14 year old. She seems quite expressive and connects with the music and the audience well. And obviously, the technical is great. She has a lot of transitions out of the jumps, but I hope she adds more going into them.
    I like some of her sit spins but the layback and the other positions and the spiral.... I must say though I love the way she lands her jumps and exits out of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Her only weak point would be the spins. The positions could be improved, especially the layback.
    Her back hurts so she can't do a proper layback

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Her back hurts so she can't do a proper layback
    That's sad.

I think she should move it though from the end of the program. It isn't her strongest element, and you really want to finish on a high note!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    That's sad.

I think she should move it though from the end of the program. It isn't her strongest element, and you really want to finish on a high note!
    ITA. She is so fierce throughout the program and it ends in a whimper with that barely there layback.

Otherwise, I love watching her skate. She has so much conviction and confidence and really commits to her choreography. Can't wait to see how much more she develops heading into Sochi.

I feel like I keep throwing people at Shae-Lynn Bourne, but I'd love to see Liza work with someone like her. She has so much interpretive potential IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Tuktamysheva skates really juniorishly. Mad skills, but juniorish in every way pre-IJS.
    Isn't she just 13 years old??!! What did you expect? I like her potential. Artistic development will come as she grows up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast