Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A bra?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aka_gerbil View Post
    If you and I had lived nearby growing up, we could have played Barbies together. My and my sister's Barbies didn't follow any Mattel storyline either. Heck, none of them was named Barbie either. Each new doll always got it's own name. Ours also went to work and had real social issues to deal with. It always drove us nuts when other girls came over or if we went to someone else's house and they wanted to play because the other girls always wanted to play either Barbie goes to the mall or Barbie goes out with Ken. We finally got smart about it and when other kids came over, we'd have Mom tell them that she didn't want all of us getting the Barbie things out and making a mess.
    My Barbies were harried working mothers. No idea why. My mom wasn't working at that time.

My cousin always wanted to play "beauty pageant". And her dolls always won. Even her Marie Osmond doll was supposed to place before my dolls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by myhoneyhoney View Post
    My first thought was "way too young" too, but am I being one of those moms who wants to keep her babies "babies"? Now I'm scouring online mommy boards and looks like 8/9/10 are the ages when girls start wanting to wear them these days. Maybe I can compromise with her and buy something like these at Target, more like cropped camis/sport bra style than the classic bra. I just showed these to her and she ♥ them. I guess these will be ok, not trampy at all.
    My daughter started wearing one in 5th grade, so she was 11. But, that was 16 years ago. There were girls in her class that were more developed than her, who started wearing them earlier. If your daughter's friends are wearing them, I can understand her wanting to "fit in". And I think you are spot on, in finding bras that are age appropriate. Maybe she'll realize how uncomfortable they are and decide to forgo them for a few more years. I don't think it's trampy, for her it's fashion.

vCash
    When I was 14 - in 9th grade - whether I wore a bra was a "topic of discussion" in the girl's restroom.
    I think I embarrassed a few of them when I answered their question: "Yes'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    When I was 14 - in 9th grade - whether I wore a bra was a "topic of discussion" in the girl's restroom.
    I think I embarrassed a few of them when I answered their question: "Yes'.
    Were you in a stall, and they didn't know you were there?

vCash
    That's right!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    That's right!
    Good for you, speaking up!

vCash
    Unless someone's daughter wants the push-up bras similar to the Victoria Secrets types, I don't think that it is a big deal. I think that we as adults make it a bigger deal than the girls do - unless they want to look like "angels or gorgeous" models.

I didn't have any breast tissue development until I was 15 or 16. The training bras of that era were really like an undergarment for shirts not the sexualized bras that one sees today.

I have always liked pretty undergarments. When I was 15 and earning money by babysitting, I could buy my own pretty stuff. The first matching undies I bought was more like then 2 piece swimming suit than bra and panties.

I think I would have a bigger issue with my granddaughter wanting shorts or pants with lettering on the buttocks - like Juicy or Pink or playboy bunny logo or whatever place you went to on your vacation, etc. than I would wanting a "bra"

vCash
    ^^^
    This!

vCash
    Oh, geez. Bras. can't fathom why anyone would want one at all, let alone at 8. But, i was and am, fairly flat chested, so i think that colours the issue. It's a chore to fine a bra that fits me properly. I think the bras 8 year olds are wearing might do well for me too, lol. I can't even remember my mom getting me a bra... maybe i wore my sister's hand me downs, which didn't fit. Yup, no emergence of real ta ta's here.

I was in no rush to grow up... the only thing about growing up i was excited about was shaving my legs. I like my smooth legs,lol.

I guess if she wants one for fun, go ahead. I wore undershirts until i wore my "bra", so it's just a variation on that.

vCash
    It doesn't seem to be an expensive thing to make her happy. Just write it down, so when's she's older and says you never "understood" you can remind her of the bra she never wore.

vCash
    If there is an Aerie store near you, Liv, they carry good smaller sized bras. In fact, I think there is a bit of vanity sizing going on there as I wear a larger size there than everywhere else. But they are nice and fit well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    If there is an Aerie store near you, Liv, they carry good smaller sized bras. In fact, I think there is a bit of vanity sizing going on there as I wear a larger size there than everywhere else. But they are nice and fit well.
    Anything beside bras and condoms where vanity sizing would suggest you're larger than you are?

vCash
    My 13 y/o loves Aerie undies! Still wears Justice bras with the removable pads for "shape". Don't know why those pads are removable, same with their bathing suits
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Anything beside bras and condoms where vanity sizing would suggest you're larger than you are?
    I'm guessing those are the only two things that is true of!!

vCash
    Boy's sneakers - they buy 'em too big, don't tie them, and then shluff around in them pretending that their feet are "so big." My nephew wears these clown shoes and he's a bit clumsy to start with - he shuffles around like "Igor" from Young Frankenstein, tripping and stumbling left and right. It was funny when he was young, but at 20, it's time to buy sneakers that fit or at least tie them!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    In fact, I think there is a bit of vanity sizing going on there as I wear a larger size there than everywhere else.
    I suspect the same of the specialty bra store I go to as they give me a ridiculously large cup size. One of my larger friends was a bit mean in her derision when I joked with her about it, though. Wish this weren't such an issue.

(sorry for the OT)

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    I suspect the same of the specialty bra store I go to as they give me a ridiculously large cup size. One of my larger friends was a bit mean in her derision when I joked with her about it, though. Wish this weren't such an issue.

(sorry for the OT)
    What did you say? You may have made it an issue.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I have tiny boobs. I quite like them.
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    What did you say? You may have made it an issue.
    You're possibly right. I think I just said that the sizing was funny as apparently the store sizing puts me at a 32 DD (and I'm clearly not a DD -- up until being sized I used a 36 band size and barely filled an A cup). But then she went on and on about how ridiculous that was. Maybe she didn't realize it was sensitive, though. After all, right from early in our friendship we had an ongoing joke about how she'd like to give me one of her cup sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Badams View Post
    I have tiny boobs. I quite like them.
    Someday I'll say that, too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post

Someday I'll say that, too!
    You will, when you're older, and they don't sag and you don't have blisters on your shoulders in the hot weather from bra straps and heavy boobs.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast