View Poll Results: Who should have won Gold in the 1980 Olympics Ladies Competition?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anett P÷tzsch

3 12.00%
  • Linda Fratianne

13 52.00%
  • Denise Biellmann

9 36.00%
  • Other

0 0%

vCash

Who should have won the 1980 Olympics Ladies competition?

In tandem with the retrospective I did on the 1980 Olympics, here is a poll on its most controversial element - the Ladies competition.

By way of background, the following is the segment on the Ladies competition from the retrospective

Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    Huge controversy over Anett P÷tzsch winning the Gold medal. Many still believe that Linda Fratianne should have won, whereas others (including myself) believe that Denise Biellmann should have won as she had yet again been held back by the School Figures. Here is an article which goes into the controversy in some detail: Article - Sonia Bianchetti This article refers to one by Doug Mattis called "Does The Pig Have Wings" which I read many years ago, but no long seems to exist on the internet. If anybody does know where a copy exists on the net, please do post a link to it. That way, people can read two different sides to the debate (albeit that given the nature of the controversy and the fact that at least 3 different skaters could have won the Gold, there are many more sides to the argument than that)

vCash
    I voted for Biellmann since even though I know about the figures, Poetzsch and Fratianne compared so unfavorably to her in free skating they deserved 4.9s if she was getting 5.9s. Realistically speaking I guess Poetzsch.

vCash
    IMO Beilmann and ,to a lesser extent ,Watanabe of Japan were the only engaging skaters of this era. For me, Fratianne vs. Poetsch is the Plushenko vs. Lysacek of the past.
    The two of them were just so uninspiring and blah, that it's hard for me to have any type of opinion ,whatsoever, about who should have won. In both cases I wish the gold medalist could have been the Swiss or Japanese skater.

However, I will admit that Fratianne's entitlement whining makes me