vCash

Michelle Kwan - Sports have power to change lives

http://espn.go.com/espnw/summit/7023...r-change-lives

This is Michelle's perspectives from ESPN Women + Sports Summit where apparently Michelle is participating

A quotation from what she writes.

When I was a little girl, my parents encouraged my sister, brother and me to get involved in sports. My parents believed sports would be a positive influence in our lives, and they saw sports as a tool to help us sharpen the skills that we needed to succeed in school, and broadly speaking, in life.

They were so right.

vCash
    Yes, sport has this power, it brings so many values in life. At any level, not only for champions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Yes, sport has this power, it brings so many values in life. At any level, not only for champions.
    I do not disagree....but after 10 years of teaching in a sports-obsessed school where non-athletic kids were bullied with the principal/football coach's blessing, I have to add this: the same lessons can be learned from pursuits such as music, art, drama, dance or anything else that requires practice, self-discipline, setting goals, and commitment to growth.

And some kids are simply not gifted athletically but have amazing gifts in other areas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I do not disagree....but after 10 years of teaching in a sports-obsessed school where non-athletic kids were bullied with the principal/football coach's blessing, I have to add this: the same lessons can be learned from pursuits such as music, art, drama, dance or anything else that requires practice, self-discipline, setting goals, and commitment to growth.

And some kids are simply not gifted athletically but have amazing gifts in other areas.
    Absolutely, that's what I meant. Because I work with handicapped persons, and I always think about them when it's about sport in life.

vCash

Very true! Also, there will always be some kids who are simply not interested in sports and never will be. To a point, I was one of them. Waaaaay back then, we had PE everyday and I loathed it. Absolutely loathed it (except for track and cheerleading, which really wasn't a "sport.")
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash

ITA Kids should be exposed to a variety of activities and possibilities at a young age, and be encouraged to pursue their interests. Art, music, sports, science, math -- whatever they excel at. Often, at a young age, young people may excel at many things and then be forced to choose in order to become the best they can be in one discipline. This results in character building, just as learning how to fail or take a loss and still get back on your feet and exhibit sportsmanship can prepare children for the hard knocks that life unfailingly sends us all.