Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    ... What disgusts me are things that people can control like not washing your hands after using the toilet. That always disgusts me. I never got that. I mean it takes 30 seconds!
    Right. I sit right outside the ladies/men's room at work, unfortunately, Hello? I can hear you pee and flush and run. Why isn't the bathroom sink being used to wash your hands? When these few people (men and women) don't wash their hands, I don't EAT their foods they bring in for the office potlucks. Blah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    If I were her, I'd be more worried about how the baby looks when it's born. She sure don't need to be worrying about how Jay-Z smells...
    Funniest thing I've read today ... and I soooooo needed that! Thank you!

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    Wow. I'm actually astounded by this thread. Its one of the most disgusting things I've ever read here and I actually can't believe someone is getting away with being a racist prat.
    Yes yes I know, I'm a terrible person. Maybe I should've left that part out and its not something where I hate people of that race, I've had friends of that ethnicity (1 during college who was otherwise completely one of the most wonderful people, who had the no deodorant issue- I believe her roommate eventually broached the subject with her and she was able to improve it somewhat- and others who obviously did not smell at all) who may or may not agree that what I talked about is a problem among others. And maybe living in a city has allowed me to experience this "phenomenon" which some others are unaware of....anyway it wasn't my main point and I'm sorry for anyone I've offended, but I just feel very strongly that super strong extra funk should not be allowed in public, unless you're homeless and can't really help it.

As someone of another race/religion, I realize the things that are joked/said about my particular race/religion and it doesn't bother me as long as they're not saying they hate "us" as people. Are those comments reminiscent of racism, maybe. But they are also at times humorous and correct in pertaining to approx. 50% of "us". Which is a large amount. I am fully capable of approaching each person as their own being. But there are trends out there and I don't feel its a bad thing to discuss them. For sure I know I could have been more respectful with the wording of my post, but what's done is done. Mods feel free to delete if you feel it is too un-PC.
    Last edited by haribobo; 09-30-2011 at 01:59 AM.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    I've had friends of that ethnicity
    Some of your best friends, I'll bet.

Mods feel free to delete if you feel it is too un-PC.
    Thank you for the permission, unnecessary as it is, but if we delete the thread, it cuts off the replies as well your posts, and why would we want to do that?

I will tell you that it's the coy "we all know who I mean" bits that are really setting my teeth on edge. If you didn't know perfectly well that what you are saying is offensive, you wouldn't be trying to say it without actually saying it. If you aren't willing to own it, you should probably consider it a sign that you should keep it to yourself.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I don't think what Haribobo said was coy or "racist" as others have suggested. It's a social truth, whether you're willing to admit it...or not. There is a reason why contestants on The Amazing Race always comment about the smell of trains when they're in that part of the world. It's not meant in an offensive manner. Maybe I should be the person to say it outright: Some Indians' lack of deodorant use can result in an unpleasant and uncomfortable situation for all parties involved. There it is; right out in the open with no ambiguity whatsoever.

vCash
    Yes yes I know, I'm a terrible person. Maybe I should've left that part out and its not something where I hate people of that race, I've had friends of that ethnicity (1 during college who was otherwise completely one of the most wonderful people, who had the no deodorant issue- I believe her roommate eventually broached the subject with her and she was able to improve it somewhat- and others who obviously did not smell at all) who may or may not agree that what I talked about is a problem among others. And maybe living in a city has allowed me to experience this "phenomenon" which some others are unaware of....anyway it wasn't my main point and I'm sorry for anyone I've offended, but I just feel very strongly that super strong extra funk should not be allowed in public, unless you're homeless and can't really help it.

As someone of another race/religion, I realize the things that are joked/said about my particular race/religion and it doesn't bother me as long as they're not saying they hate "us" as people. Are those comments reminiscent of racism, maybe. But they are also at times humorous and correct in pertaining to approx. 50% of "us". Which is a large amount. I am fully capable of approaching each person as their own being. But there are trends out there and I don't feel its a bad thing to discuss them. For sure I know I could have been more respectful with the wording of my post, but what's done is done. Mods feel free to delete if you feel it is too un-PC.
    Your attitude is more offensive than any smell I've encountered.

As for smelling in the gym, I try to be courteous as much as possible and in general I run outside for the most part to avoid sweating around other people, but if the weather is foul enough then I am going to do my 12-20 mile run indoors and people will just have to deal with it. I invite you to work that hard and come back and see how you smell.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I don't think what Haribobo said was coy
    I guess we will just have to differ there, because it all strikes me as an excellent example of coy, at least in this sense of the word:

Reluctant to give details, esp. about something regarded as sensitive

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Some Indians' lack of deodorant use can result in an unpleasant and uncomfortable situation for all parties involved. There it is; right out in the open with no ambiguity whatsoever.
    Oddly enough, it never crossed my mind that he was referring to Indians. I've heard this sort of thing directed at another ethnicity altogether. Huh. I guess my stereotypes got crossed in there somewhere.

I wonder if people who smell bad and hang out with other people who smell bad actually find the situation unpleasant and uncomfortable. You'd certainly never know it from my son's soccer team.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I honestly have no idea if this stereotype is supposed to refer to people from India or Native Americans ("Indians"), because I haven't experienced this so-called well known phenomenon with either.

(I actually don't need or even want to know which it's supposed to be, just pointing out that what some people think is "fact"...isn't)
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Title-less
    vCash
    I guess this is the wrong place to say, don't break a sweat over this '?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I honestly have no idea if this stereotype is supposed to refer to people from India or Native Americans ("Indians"), because I haven't experienced this so-called well known phenomenon with either.

(I actually don't need or even want to know which it's supposed to be, just pointing out that what some people think is "fact"...isn't)
    I live in an area with a very diverse population-- we have pretty much every ethnicity known to man here. I have friends who are Indian (not Native American) and some are from India, England, and the US. The friends from England and the US complain about the ones from India because they don't wear deodorant. And yes, it is something that is pretty much an open secret at least in these parts. Doesn't mean I'm racist-- you can call me that for other reasons, but hygiene is influenced by culture.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    I live in an area with a very diverse population-- we have pretty much every ethnicity known to man here. I have friends who are Indian (not Native American) and some are from India, England, and the US. The friends from England and the US complain about the ones from India because they don't wear deodorant. And yes, it is something that is pretty much an open secret at least in these parts. Doesn't mean I'm racist-- you can call me that for other reasons, but hygiene is influenced by culture.
    I've never been to India. However, the people from India that I've met here in the U.S. all use deodorant. Trust me, I would have noticed if they didn't. I'm very sensitive to BO. Most of the Indian people I've met have either been university faculty or grad students. I don't know if this is significant or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I thought the stereotype referred to Indians from India who cook very spicy food. The smell permeates apartment buildings and can be very strong - not a pleasant smell to me, at any rate. I've noticed it in motel offices as well, where Indians live in the back room/rooms.

I supposed the smell clings to clothes but it's not BO and I haven't noticed it on Indian people (as opposed to the places where they live and cook).

Funnily enough, when I think of my favourite Indian restaurant there is no foul cooking smell at all. Adequate ventilation and then some, perhaps?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I guess we will just have to differ there, because it all strikes me as an excellent example of coy, at least in this sense of the word:

Reluctant to give details, esp. about something regarded as sensitive
    Well after being pressed, I posted links to exactly what I was referring to. My fault for assuming it was a commonly knowledge because as this thread has taught me, there are many people who have never heard about this cultural practice, or non-practice. And as far as being cheeky, it tends to be a trend on this board to be cheeky, but if what was said was too offensive to be cheeky about, then ok. I apologize, and I won't discuss things like this here again.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I thought the stereotype referred to Indians from India who cook very spicy food. The smell permeates apartment buildings and can be very strong - not a pleasant smell to me, at any rate.
    I lived above two Indian families in a 3 family house in Queens. They were very nice and their food was delicious, but they cooked morning to night so everything I owned wound up with a very strong curry smell. People could smell it on my clothes at work or at school -- clean ones that were kept in the closet or drawers. We finally moved, and then we realized it was in the couch and rugs, and we'd moved the smell with us. We had a huge dry cleaning bill and wound up replacing the couch/mattress. Curry smells really good when it is cooking, but not so much later on.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    How do we separate culture and race?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Still better than mega-stink...
    Body odor doesn't give me a headache. Axe products give me an instant, blinding headache. That crap should be banned.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Yeah, that Axe is no Old Spice.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    I've never been to India. However, the people from India that I've met here in the U.S. all use deodorant. Trust me, I would have noticed if they didn't. I'm very sensitive to BO. Most of the Indian people I've met have either been university faculty or grad students. I don't know if this is significant or not.
    I do not live in an area with a particularly diverse population, yet we do have a fairly high percentage of Indian immigrants here. There's even a Hindu temple just a few blocks from me. And I've never run into this issue, either.

The cultural stereotype here is applied to two groups--Middle Eastern Arabs and, to a lesser extent, Africans. I haven't run into that, either, but when people here talk about a culture that doesn't use deodorant, they are usually referring to one or the other.

I do know some faculty who don't use deodorant, but it isn't a cultural practice .

And as far as being cheeky, it tends to be a trend on this board to be cheeky.
    I wouldn't describe you or your posts that way, but people's reactions to things do differ.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash

I do know some faculty who don't use deodorant, but it isn't a cultural practice .
    Do they think deodorant causes cancer or this is some kind of misguided rebellion against societal norms?

As to Indians: I've been around a lot of Indians, including having had an Indian boyfriend. No problems at all. Ever.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I do not live in an area with a particularly diverse population, yet we do have a fairly high percentage of Indian immigrants here. There's even a Hindu temple just a few blocks from me. And I've never run into this issue, either.

The cultural stereotype here is applied to two groups--Middle Eastern Arabs and, to a lesser extent, Africans. I haven't run into that, either, but when people here talk about a culture that doesn't use deodorant, they are usually referring to one or the other.

I live in a college town with a very diverse population and it has been my experience that there are some (who I assume to be) graduate students from other countries, (based on their age, languages, and books) who do not use deodorant. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with their home country's "culture" or not or anything else, but on a crowded bus during the summer it can sometimes be very unpleasant.

Of course, the overpowering body odor is not restricted to those from other countries. I also knew an "American born and bred" grad student whose nickname was "dirty laundry bag" who didn't use deodorant or even appear to bathe or wash his clothes with much frequency. There was only one other person who would share an office with him and after he had walked down the hallway, the stench would linger for many minutes afterward. After he finished his PhD (and I had left that department) he did manage to get a faculty job at some college, so perhaps he cleaned up his act a bit.

And currently there is a mentally unbalanced woman who often rides the same bus I do who also has an overpowering odor -- so much so that people will get up and move as far away as they can. One of the bus drivers even sprays the bus with air freshener after she leaves.

I don't know where I'm going with this rambling post except to say I don't think that one can generalize about smelly people -- they come in many varieties, it would seem.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast