Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 1004
  1. #121

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Usually in the D/W thread
    Posts
    5,059
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Well at least they have the good taste to rip off Delobel and Schoenfelder.
    Oh, really? I wasn't a fan of D/S so I'm not sure to which program you are referring to.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

  2. #122
    Hey, Kool-Aid!
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    11,155
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1504
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    Oh, really? I wasn't a fan of D/S so I'm not sure to which program you are referring to.
    I'm assuming they are referring to their Carnival in Venice FD. They used their gloves as masks, was pretty cool. I don't think the FD will be similar but I do wonder if the mask idea will be similar.

    eta..here's a yt link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krEW4c_OJ_I
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

  3. #123
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,263
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    I'm assuming they are referring to their Carnival in Venice FD. They used their gloves as masks, was pretty cool. I don't think the FD will be similar but I do wonder if the mask idea will be similar.

    eta..here's a yt link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krEW4c_OJ_I
    It was also about a man and woman meeting at a Masquerade ball.

    My comment was tongue in cheek, btw.

  4. #124

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Usually in the D/W thread
    Posts
    5,059
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    443
    Thanks, marbri, that was pretty cool. Have no idea how D/W will incorporate a "mask" effect, I was just guessing that they wouldn't use a prop. Is a prop even allowed these days? Hard to keep up with all the rules.

    Guess we'll see soon exactly how they plan to interpret Die Fledermaus...interesting that Marina has wanted them to use this for a long time. I hope her expectations are exceeded (Charlie said in the teleconference that he thought their own expectations were exceeded in the development of this FD). Can't wait to find out!
    Last edited by ~tapdancer~; 10-15-2011 at 04:16 AM.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

  5. #125
    Hey, Kool-Aid!
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    11,155
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1504
    The gloves were a very clever way to get around the prop rule. When it comes to D&S I always remember their Carnival program and Frida. I don't know if it was done before but it was the first time I ever saw it and I thought the gloves were genius.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

  6. #126
    Hey, Kool-Aid!
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    11,155
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1504
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    It was also about a man and woman meeting at a Masquerade ball.

    My comment was tongue in cheek, btw.
    Was it?
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

  7. #127
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,263
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    Was it?
    I believe so. I'm trying to remember the exact story, but I believe it's about a man and woman who meet at a mysterious masquerade ball and fall for each other only to find out after they take off the masks that they already know each other.(?) After the opening lifts, the narrator says "Let us join in the dance." and the serpentine footwork sequence and music change that follows is supposed to represent them dancing with each other at the the masquerade ball.

    I think that's right, but I could also be making all this up.

  8. #128

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    352
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    I believe so. I'm trying to remember the exact story, but I believe it's about a man and woman who meet at a mysterious masquerade ball and fall for each other only to find out after they take off the masks that they already know each other.(?) After the opening lifts, the narrator says "Let us join in the dance." and the serpentine footwork sequence and music change that follows is supposed to represent them dancing with each other at the the masquerade ball.

    I think that's right, but I could also be making all this up.

    Nope. Here's proof
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krEW4c_OJ_I

  9. #129
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    358
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    [QUOTE=~tapdancer~;3322081]Thanks, marbri, that was pretty cool. Have no idea how D/W will incorporate a "mask" effect, I was just guessing that they wouldn't use a prop. Is a prop even allowed these days? Hard to keep up with all the rules.

    Talking about a prop, didn't P/B used a fan in their Flamenco program few years ago, W/P also copied it a year or so later?

  10. #130

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eagerly awaiting the Olympics!
    Age
    25
    Posts
    18,497
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6346
    Quote Originally Posted by rhumba View Post
    Talking about a prop, didn't P/B used a fan in their Flamenco program few years ago, W/P also copied it a year or so later?
    There was an exception to the prop rules for the Folk Dance ODs as long as the props never touched the ice.

  11. #131

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the K/N void
    Posts
    2,382
    vCash
    892
    Rep Power
    1547
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Well at least they have the good taste to rip off Delobel and Schoenfelder.
    Who in turn looked like they were ripping off A/P

  12. #132
    Hey, Kool-Aid!
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    11,155
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1504
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Who in turn looked like they were ripping off A/P
    Same choreographers. Of course noone ever accuses that coaching team of recycling ideas Speaking of that program would have been even better had A&P skated it.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

  13. #133

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the K/N void
    Posts
    2,382
    vCash
    892
    Rep Power
    1547
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    Speaking of that program would have been even better had A&P skated it.

    It's so weird your saying that because even while I was watching them I kept seeing A/P in my mind skating that program. It was so THEM.

  14. #134
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    wherever they cheer for Davis/White
    Posts
    1,121
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Aw, Carnival in Venice is one of my favourite FDs from Isabelle and Olivier. They really deserved medals at all three big events that season. And the gloves were so brilliant! I really wouldn't mind if Meryl and Charlie's FD turned out similarly cool.

  15. #135

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,275
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    5352
    I enjoyed the teleconference. It is interesting to get insight into choices that skaters make. I like how Meryl and Charlie have such a positive attitude and work hard to move beyond setbacks.

    Obviously I'm excited to see the FD, but I'm equally interested in the SD. I just can't picture them skating to Jennifer Lopez. I can't wait to see it! I've been underwhelmed by all of the SD's so far this season. Hopefully Meryl and Charlie's will be great!

  16. #136
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,440
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Who in turn looked like they were ripping off A/P
    And which program would that have been? I just can't for the life of me remember a program from Marina and Gwendal that was similar to D&S's Carnival in Venice.

    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    Same choreographers.
    Or not. Just the same coaches/coach. No clue who choreographed Carnival but as far as I remember none of the choreographers who did Marina's and Gwendal's free programs worked with D&S.

    I hope D/W won't use the gloves as masks but have a different solution. Though I can't think of one.
    I wouldn't call using the theme of a man and woman meeting at a masquerade ball ripping off D&S; I'm sure there are tons of other free dances out there with the same themse as it's probably a quite common one.

  17. #137

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the K/N void
    Posts
    2,382
    vCash
    892
    Rep Power
    1547
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    And which program would that have been? I just can't for the life of me remember a program from Marina and Gwendal that was similar to D&S's Carnival in Venice.

    Their entire opening was very reminiscent of MITIM, and the whole style of the program screamed A/P for me.

  18. #138

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,656
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4290
    Well, Fledermaus centers around a masked ball. Including that feature is almost required to get a whiff of the story.

    If they did the glove thing, now that might be a ripoff of Delschoes. I don't think masked ball is such a unique concept that people can claim ownership.

    Would any Bollywood dance be a ripoff of D&W? I don't think so. It's a style.

    If you want something unique (and not in a good way), it would be DomShabs primitive dance OD from the Olympics.

  19. #139

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Usually in the D/W thread
    Posts
    5,059
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Well, Fledermaus centers around a masked ball. Including that feature is almost required to get a whiff of the story.

    If they did the glove thing, now that might be a ripoff of Delschoes. I don't think masked ball is such a unique concept that people can claim ownership.

    Would any Bollywood dance be a ripoff of D&W? I don't think so. It's a style.

    If you want something unique (and not in a good way), it would be DomShabs primitive dance OD from the Olympics.
    And that, oddly enough, invokes memories for me of the Duchenays "Jungle Rites". Although D/D's costumes were far more subdued.

    Of course teams are going to use similar concepts and features. How can it be helped? And what's wrong with that anyway? Delschoes used an interesting concept to portray masks and in a similar way to A/P (did they use gloves, though? I seem to remember just hands). Yagudin did MITIM, too, and I remember him using pantomime as well to portray the mask. I mean, how many ways can skaters portray the idea of a mask?

    I think the idea of a masquerade ball is quite a fun concept. The judges want interesting, easy-to-understand free dances. They don't want the audiences scratching their heads trying to figure out what avant-garde concept they are trying to invoke. I like all kinds of dance but I understand that not everyone does. And to be honest, I'd rather watch "Footloose" than some modern, artsy concept dance most of the time.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

  20. #140
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,440
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    Of course teams are going to use similar concepts and features. How can it be helped? And what's wrong with that anyway? Delschoes used an interesting concept to portray masks and in a similar way to A/P (did they use gloves, though? I seem to remember just hands).
    Hands is correct. And movement.

    I guess if we make an effort, we can find a skater who has already used something another skater later used. If you think about it, did anyone ever accuse D&S of ripping of Plushenko because they were using gloves for their free dance costumes? I don't think so.
    I don't think any skater is deliberately coyping others, rather I would think that coaches and/or skaters are inspired at competitions, hearing a music they haven't thought about but suddenly realize would suit their skater perfectly, or seeing a costume idea they haven't thought about but is the answer to the problem that's been nagging on them forever.
    Even if D/W were using the glove-mask concept, it would only be a tribute to D&S as it would show how they inspired younger skaters - and skaters as great as D/W no less. If I were D&S I'd be proud to have made such an impact.

Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •