Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 820 of 1004
  1. #801
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    299
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    203
    From an IN article:
    "Of course we want to get all Level 4's, but we also want to get plus-3 GOE's (Grades of Execution) across the board and lots of speed," White said. "Making it as impressive as possible is really what we aim for. If I have to spin until I lift off of the ice [in the rotational spin], then that's what I will do."
    Every time I re-watched their FS after reading this, I keep waiting for them to lift off and fly away leaving judges and the crowd in awe and disbelief.

  2. #802
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
    From an IN article:

    Every time I re-watched their FS after reading this, I keep waiting for them to lift off and fly away leaving judges and the crowd in awe and disbelief.
    He managed to get all threes without levitation. I would love to understand the mechanics of that lift.

  3. #803

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    Well, clearly Charlie White has a phonebooth back behind the KnC somewhere :

    http://thenostalgialeague.com/cr/huh/huh15.html

  4. #804
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    74
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Charlie now wants to add the helicopter to the butterfly he does on ice.

  5. #805

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    Or maybe they use pixie dust, which Meryl shakes from the orange ball of light in this picture of their FD

    http://web.icenetwork.com/images/201...1/9NbVoqjB.jpg

    (I don't know what the orange ball is, but the picture cracks me up)

  6. #806

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,575
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    Here's the link to a new Marina Zoueva interview translated by TAHbKA from Russian to English: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=771

  7. #807
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    645
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Here's the link to a new Marina Zoueva interview translated by TAHbKA from Russian to English: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=771
    Interesting article! Marina is always so forthright in her opinions it makes for a fun read. But I don't always agree with her. She mentions that she's been blessed with many pairs and couples with chemistry- G/G, V/M, and even now new couple - Chock/Bates. But she thinks that D/W don't have chemistry. I disagree with that- I think when they've worked out the kinks in their programs and when Charlie pays attention to Meryl and looks at her they have a great deal of chemistry. It's a kind of chemistry that is not overt but can be sensitive, deep, and tender- it glimmers in and out of their programs so you have to pay attention to see it and it's probably something that has to be programmed in but that doesn't make it any less effective.

    Their connection and synchronization of their performance was much improved at GPF. This is actually a very difficult dance for them because of all the details. They still have many details to tend to- Charlie needs to pay more attention to his full body position and position his leg and foot better in those little leaps with his leg behind him that are such a part of this dance. Also Meryl does this little flick with her hand and arm in time with the music that could be less abrupt. There's another harsh arm movement that she thrusts out towards the end of their last footwork sequence down the length of the ice that is a little at odds with the otherwise light as foam movement in the rest of the piece. She might want to study Katya Gordeeva's arm movement that I always thought was masterful- clean, soft, yet well articulated with good energy coming out of her finger tips. That's also a critique I'd level at Tessa Virtue as well who has graceful arms but no energy coming out of her hands or fingers.

    Ahh the joys of armchair critiquing.

  8. #808
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,774
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Or maybe they use pixie dust, which Meryl shakes from the orange ball of light in this picture of their FD

    http://web.icenetwork.com/images/201...1/9NbVoqjB.jpg

    (I don't know what the orange ball is, but the picture cracks me up)
    I saw this yesterday and thought the same thing!!! Meryl truly is magical!!!

  9. #809
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,774
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    Interesting article! Marina is always so forthright in her opinions it makes for a fun read. But I don't always agree with her. She mentions that she's been blessed with many pairs and couples with chemistry- G/G, V/M, and even now new couple - Chock/Bates. But she thinks that D/W don't have chemistry. I disagree with that- I think when they've worked out the kinks in their programs and when Charlie pays attention to Meryl and looks at her they have a great deal of chemistry. It's a kind of chemistry that is not overt but can be sensitive, deep, and tender- it glimmers in and out of their programs so you have to pay attention to see it and it's probably something that has to be programmed in but that doesn't make it any less effective.

    Their connection and synchronization of their performance was much improved at GPF. This is actually a very difficult dance for them because of all the details. They still have many details to tend to- Charlie needs to pay more attention to his full body position and position his leg and foot better in those little leaps with his leg behind him that are such a part of this dance. Also Meryl does this little flick with her hand and arm in time with the music that could be less abrupt. There's another harsh arm movement that she thrusts out towards the end of their last footwork sequence down the length of the ice that is a little at odds with the otherwise light as foam movement in the rest of the piece. She might want to study Katya Gordeeva's arm movement that I always thought was masterful- clean, soft, yet well articulated with good energy coming out of her finger tips. That's also a critique I'd level at Tessa Virtue as well who has graceful arms but no energy coming out of her hands or fingers.

    Ahh the joys of armchair critiquing.
    But Meryl DOES have energy coming out of her finger tips, just reference the photo Doris found!!!

  10. #810

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eagerly awaiting the Olympics!
    Age
    25
    Posts
    18,542
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10229
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Catching up on photos..... my pics from Saturday dance practice.
    I like the blue dress Meryl wore in practice. She wore it the first time I saw their SD in Canton last year. I like the one she wears for competition better, but I'm always impressed with Meryl's endless supply of beautiful dresses.

  11. #811
    U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Shamelessly fangirling
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,775
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5115
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I like the blue dress Meryl wore in practice. She wore it the first time I saw their SD in Canton last year. I like the one she wears for competition better, but I'm always impressed with Meryl's endless supply of beautiful dresses.
    I was impressed she had the matching mask this time. But I should know Meryl never goes halfway with her ensembles.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

  12. #812
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    wherever they cheer for Davis/White
    Posts
    1,124
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    I think when they've worked out the kinks in their programs and when Charlie pays attention to Meryl and looks at her they have a great deal of chemistry. It's a kind of chemistry that is not overt but can be sensitive, deep, and tender- it glimmers in and out of their programs so you have to pay attention to see it and it's probably something that has to be programmed in but that doesn't make it any less effective.
    I think the connection between them on ice is very subtle - they do have chemistry, but it's not the lovey-dovey or the hot and passionate chemistry many people seem to look for in ice dancing. It's different, but it doesn't mean it's not there. For me it's more of a relationship between a fragile nymph and her protector than lovers, but it's still a relationship.

    Maybe that's why the tango didn't work that well for them. They're just not the passionate kind of team. But then again, neither are Tessa and Scott. They are the lovey-dovey type.

  13. #813
    U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Shamelessly fangirling
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,775
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5115
    Last batch of my photos - Sunday practice, Free Dance, and Exhibition (plus a few videos of Meryl and Charlie during the Exhibition finale)

    I was so excited I got some great shots of Meryl and Charlie at the exhibition because they move so fast I was afraid they'd all be a blur under the spotlights!
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

  14. #814

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,691
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    7993
    Great photos! Thank you so much for all of your reports and photos.

  15. #815

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Usually in the D/W thread
    Posts
    5,079
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    585
    Meryl and Charlie's chemistry reminds me very much of another team I loved...Bourne and Kraatz. They skated together for many years and most of their programs were neither hot/passionate nor were they lovey-dovey. But it was obvious to me that they had a solid caring relationship during the years they competed.

    Meryl and Charlie just fit together. Yes, their physical looks are very different but they look right together on the ice. Every time I watch them skate, I just feel happy. Maybe that's trite and sappy but it's true. And while I want them to win because I know it makes them happy and yes, it makes me happy, I'll still love to watch them skate no matter what happens. Well, except for the Cup of Russia OD 2008.

    And TaBfan...thanks so much for the photos and reports!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

  16. #816
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,755
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I also think they have a lovely connection to each other, albeit one that is subtle and may not garner responses of 'get a room.' Theirs is based on mutual respect and a real joy for skating with each other. I also think their chemistry has really developed over the last few seasons. and I agree with ~tapdancer~--they just fit together on the ice and it makes me happy to watch them. I know Tracy Wilson has also noted their connection, mentioning that "there were such moments of tenderness" in their 4CC 2009 FD (CBC) and I feel the same way. and Dick Button...well, he certainly sees/feels their chemistry

    skip to about 0:39:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc9K5Bny3JE

    Perhaps they will get told to 'get a room'

  17. #817
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,755
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Last batch of my photos - Sunday practice, Free Dance, and Exhibition (plus a few videos of Meryl and Charlie during the Exhibition finale)

    I was so excited I got some great shots of Meryl and Charlie at the exhibition because they move so fast I was afraid they'd all be a blur under the spotlights!
    thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and photos from the event!

  18. #818
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    42,373
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    25256
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    But it was obvious to me that they had a solid caring relationship during the years they competed.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  19. #819

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    Some of the shibutanis' banquet photos

    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

    Tesa has really tall heels or is really tall or both compared to Maia & Meryl. All look gorgeous
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

    Alex, Charlie & Scott & Marina
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

    All 3 North American couples
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

  20. #820

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    In Canuck Land, hey!
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,819
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2416
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Some of the shibutanis' banquet photos

    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

    Tesa has really tall heels or is really tall or both compared to Maia & Meryl. All look gorgeous
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

    Alex, Charlie & Scott & Marina
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

    All 3 North American couples
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater
    In the last photo, did anyone notice who else wanted their picture taken?

    I love the photo of "the girls". Simply beautiful. And speaking of Tessa's height, I noticed that they went down in height from left to right. Simple things make me
    Crazy about sports!

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •