Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Now that I am home from my vacation and have true high speed internet (it took 30 minutes to load their FD at the hotel) I have watched Meryl and Charlie's performances from Skate America many times (OK 20 times) and have to say I love them both.

The SD is fun and I thought they did a good job of incorporating the Rhumba into their program. Love the orange dress and the way Meryl shakes that fringe!! And I thought Charlie shook his booty just fine.

The FD is going to be amazing by the end of the season. What I love the most about it is that the music draws the audience into the performance. I LOVE their Tango from last season but it never got the audience response that this dance garnered at Skate America. Can't wait to see the refinements they will add for their next outing.

vCash
    Meryl looks so strong this season! She has added upper body muscle that really defines her. She still looks like a Dresden doll, just one that could kick your butt! And yes, Charlie should always wear a tux
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    great job in free dance.
    good luck to all

vCash
    Their exhibition is on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4ZG6JodKYM

vCash
    Did anybody watch the SD with the CBC commentary? Kurt Browning was really liking Meryl's moves.... I think Meryl should get to do the worm in the SD since Charlie did his butterfly at the end of the FD
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c95MBNDEg3Q

This version includes the interview before the exhibition. Beware, the overzealous Russian commentator is trying to drown them out.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    Found this on PJKwong's blog, talking about D/W:

[This program is a natural for these skaters and , I believe, a stroke of genius on the part of their coaches Marina Zoueva and Igor Shpilband. By building a program based on the perceived emotional distance on the ice between the skaters, or what could also be called a dignified sense of propriety, turns what many see as Davis and White's weakness into strength.]

This is very interesting to me. And it's a great way to look at it. I think it just makes sense that there needs to be balance in figure skating, particularly ice dance. Not every team is going to bring the "heat" or even the perceived notion that they are "so in love". And I know fans see what they want to see, as well. Certainly for myself, as a huge fan of D/W and their relationship to one another, I would love to see them oozing sex on the ice but after years of watching them, I know that isn't their style and isn't ever going to be. I appreciate them for what they do show us...intricate skating that gets better every year, a work ethic second to none and a desire to be the best they can be. They show me that they love skating and that they love skating with each other.
    Huh, I never thought of it that way before. I've always thought of D/W as good at classical music in general, so that alone explained Die Fledermaus, but hmm, that is an interesting way to put it.

It's funny because to me, D/W have had a very sweet, charming, quiet connection since Day 1. But apparently, even after all these years, it is still too subtle for ice dance. If anything, they are more like "normal" people, because most people I know would not be comfortable with doing the type of acting ice dancers do, dramatic and/or romantic, even with people they completely trust. Not to say that people with a performance streak are not normal, but you know what I mean.

I've thought for ages (and have said just as often, lol) that I think D/W have a dynamic that is unique among most ice dancers. Personally, I think their quiet dynamic makes them so good at programs with a hint of darkness or sadness or mystery, etc. Igor picked up on it ages ago. I personally think this is something D/W can do better than anyone else, and herein lies greatness and legendary status. Samson & Delilah would not have worked quite as well on any other team or if D/W were any other way.

I mean, I want them to accomplish whatever high goals they place for themselves, but at some point, I too think it may be pointless to do something that is just not them artistically. I think there are potentially many never-before-done concepts and programs that D/W can pull off precisely because they are different. Which reminds me, nestled in that ESPN article about the Shibutanis, there was an interesting quote from Charlie:

"I can understand some people just have a preference when they watch skating, want to see some kind of love relationship. That's not necessarily what you have to see. You don't have to be in love."
    I hope that at least one year, D/W screw it all and do a non-romantic FD. But something that still moves people emotionally, as romance on ice often does. Perhaps it would be an interesting counter to V/M going into the Olympics, if both teams continue? I see that the masquerade may already fall under that, but it's still framed as a romance. There are some concepts that are just as, if not more powerful, than boy-girl romance. I just wonder if there is a place for it, within this ballroom and uplifting trend. And if audiences would accept it.

vCash
    I thought I would just pop in from the V/M thread and say that I really did enjoy D/W FD. Although I am a V/M uber of sorts, these 2 teams have really made ice dance more interesting in the past few years and continue to do so, and I hope both teams continue to do so.....with Tessa (et al) remaining healthy.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    There are some concepts that are just as, if not more powerful, than boy-girl romance. I just wonder if there is a place for it, within this ballroom and uplifting trend. And if audiences would accept it.
    Well, the Duchesnays made a career of nonromantic dances, as have the Kerrs, so I think there is room for that. The Shibs better hope so, anyway.

I honestly have never gotten the criticism about lack of connection between these two. I agree that Samson & POTO both showed just the right connection (and would not have worked nearly as well without it - nor with more). Maybe it is because I never really though this sport should be about facial expressions, anyway. Memo to ISU: This is supposed to be a sport, not drama class. It should be about what the athletes do with their arms and legs and bodies, and the quantity of love-struck expressions really should not factor into the scoring.

I actually thought Fledermaus perhaps showed a bit too much connection. They looked like a happy, married couple, totally comfortable with each other, who just enjoy dancing together. That would be great except at a masquerade ball, he isn't supposed to even know who he is dancing with. (Oh wait - brilliant subconscious twist. He is actually dancing with his wife but doesn't know it. Still, they are so just right together that his instincts know and it shows thru anyway. Besides, who seriously could not recognize their own spouse behind an eye mask?)

vCash
    Isn't he also supposed to have been drinking, to forget about having to go to jail for tax evasion?

vCash
    Delurking again for a bit...Hi!

Kwong and I guess other people as well seem to perceive this as a problem, "lack of connection" with D/W? I never thought so. They just relate in a different way to each other. Kwong was also bothered by this when they did their tango last season, I remember that. But that worked for me as well, the sharpness and coolness of it. And, yeah, Charlie is right, not everything needs to be about couples in love. And even if it is about a romantic relationship, it doesn't need to be the "just fallen in love, seeing everything with rose-tinted glasses" stage. One of my favourite dance pairs were Delobel/Schoenfelder, and they weren't doing these more traditional "in love" programs all that much either, so perhaps that's just not a requirement for me to enjoy a team.

Really like D/W's new dances. The FD is gorgeous, I thought it might be too traditional, and perhaps it is, but I don't care. It's just so sweeping and wonderful, I immediately fell in love with it.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Nice job! I enjoyed reading your thoughts about the men and of course ice dance! Count me as another person that enjoys the dark programs that Meryl and Charlie do!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Thanks for all of the pics, reports, and vids!!!

OT...I was watching the FD again. Did anybody catch what Meryl said in the Kiss and Cry. It sounded to me like she said her feet fell asleep, but she didn't skate like anything was wrong so I don't know
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post

I notice they include the spin from their free dance, except on the second part, Charlie puts the knee of his free leg all the way down to the ice. I guess, technically, the judges would have to treat this as an error in a competitive program, but I think it makes a more interesting and attractive position.

They also use my favorite non-rotational lift from the FD, where he first sets her lightly down in a camel or spiral position facing backwards then lifts her again and puts her down in a lunge going forward. I just love that move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post

I love the subtle and slightly dark quality of the new exhibition. I too really like the new lift in the ex and fd where Meryl just seems to float and then Charlie sets her down facing the opposite direction so softly. Pretty!!

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    I remembered another moment from the FD that I love - the transition into the circular footwork when Meryl spins around and ends up in perfect step with Charlie as they move into the footwork. It's a unique entrance and a wonderful touch!

I've watched the SD a bunch of times and it's by far my favorite SD that I've seen this season. The music mix is the best I've heard....no jarring breaks and all the pieces are catchy. I like that they don't look like they're "overdoing" the moves like some teams are. It looks natural to me and not forced, just like they're having fun with it.

vCash
    I'm hooked on the SD, too, TABfan! Especially when I know it's only going to get better. Same with FD. I love how happy they seem to be with their programs this season. Thanks for all your pics and reports!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    I love their SD too. The orange dress is just perfect. And the music keeps popping into my head...in a good way!!

In rewatching the FD, does anyone else think they had an oops moment just before the final pose? Now I wonder if that is what Charlie meant when he said "he tried" as they came off the ice.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    I love their SD too. The orange dress is just perfect. And the music keeps popping into my head...in a good way!!

In rewatching the FD, does anyone else think they had an oops moment just before the final pose? Now I wonder if that is what Charlie meant when he said "he tried" as they came off the ice.
    The end did look a little awkward when he picked Meryl up. The endings of their programs sometimes scare me because there's too much going on. I'd like to see them calm it down a little and not have so many moves jammed into the final ten seconds. And we all know how I feel about the butterfly leap.

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast