Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    Wow! That's an unexpected change, I wonder what was the cause for that. La Strada was starting to grow on me, but I LOVE Strauss. I'm wondering if any other top ice dance team used this in an FD and I just haven't seen it yet, cause none are coming to mind.

But I'm ok with this I've been dying for them to skate to classical music for ages, and while my choice was Beethoven, I'm still thrilled with Strauss. Listening to the score now, I may have to check out the sheet music haha.
    Last edited by lmarie086; 10-13-2011 at 08:06 PM. Reason: awkward sentence.

vCash
    I think Klimova-Ponomarenko did Strauss FD.
    I like how USA FS federation work - maybe they change FD after tests. I think other federation must look at how this work at USA.

vCash
    I think they will do much, much better with this music than La Strada. This sounds so much more their style. Besides, Marina choreographed one of my favorite G&G programs to this music, so I'm excited to see what she will do with D/W.

vCash
    Wow, I hope they didn't decide that last week. Maybe La Strada wasn't uplifting enough and they were advised to change. I loved their Nutcracker program and a Golden Waltz they had in 2010(?) so I am sure they will do a great job. Nine more days until I'll see them. Yay

vCash
    I'm wondered if it was the fact that someone in the know said La Strada might be worth a music deduction...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    I'm wondered if it was the fact that someone in the know said La Strada might be worth a music deduction...
    No dance rythm?

vCash
    I've always enjoyed Meryl and Charlie's watlzes -- they lilt nicely I'm looking forward to what they can bring to this music. I wonder how much of the operetta's story they will keep and whether they will stick to the music from the overture or use other parts from the score? I think that their speed will work well with the music.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Wait a minute, haven't they already used Die Fledermaus? That's what wikipedia claims:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meryl_Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    Wait a minute, haven't they already used Die Fledermaus? That's what wikipedia claims:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meryl_Davis.
    They were a little kids, when they skate it in OD/ What a problem?

vCash
    Lynn twitted the reason for change:
    LynnRutherford
    Some judges were confused by La Strada since the FD was not a literal interpretation of the movie. Oh well, onward&upward

vCash
    I'm assuming that they started work on the new FD immediately after Champs Camp and kept it quiet until announcing it the week before SA. I think they'll do fine as this is not the first time they have scrapped a program based on judge feedback in the same forum previously.

vCash
    Oooh, Charlie and Meryl, you're killing me.

For a second when I read about the music change I hoped it would be something that'd make me excited this time. Not a chance...

Not that I have anything against their waltzes or classical music in general... I just don't like this choice for them. Unless they do something way better and more unexpected than I can imagine, this FD is gonna be boring.

I just don't get it. Why choosing an OD(SD)-typical piece of music for FD? Why not doing something more modern? or dark and mysterious? or in any way more original? or STORYTELLING? or soft and romantic for a change. I just don't get how it's possible they thrill me so much with their ex (breathtaking!) and fail to do so with their FD. I mean, I know I haven't seen it yet, but I already know what I can expect.

I hate this new direction of ice dance. These "dancey" programs. Ice dance is becoming such a snoozefest, it's difficult to bare, considering it's my favourite part of FS.
    Last edited by mia joy; 10-14-2011 at 11:23 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
    Lynn twitted the reason for change:
    Wait, really? Why does it have to be a literal interpretation? When Summersett/Gilles skated to it, their version wasn't a literal interpretation either. And it was probably my favorite program of the season, or at least top 3.

I do really like the music so I hope they are able to take the music in a fresh direction. But I remember that they changed music based on judges' feedback last season (for the SD) and I spent the whole season hating that SD and wishing that the judges hadn't told them to scrap the Amelie one (I really liked the idea of the story they were going to tell with it).

vCash
    Fledermaus is a 2 hour operetta. Yes there are waltzes, but there are also polkas, marches and other music. Some of it is lighthearted and some is romantic. I think the success of the programme will depend on what music they select.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    Wait, really? Why does it have to be a literal interpretation? When Summersett/Gilles skated to it, their version wasn't a literal interpretation either. And it was probably my favorite program of the season, or at least top 3.

This year dont they have some kind of rule that any program with a story has to be clearly understandable to the audience - something like that? Maybe they were afraid of getting a deduction there if they were using the music to tell a different story/feeling from the movie?

To me that and the uplifting rule are just stupid - but skaters have to take them seriously or risk deductions.

ETA - Are their any links to the Amelie SD? Ive never seen it - have they used it as an exhibition?

vCash
    I'm trying to keep an open mind and wait to see it before I judge, but I'm a little sad that they have chosen this style. I was hoping for a darker FD (kind of like the mood of ER). Oh well, only a week or so until we find out exactly what it looks like! Here's hoping for a stellar competition at SkAm!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmart View Post
    Fledermaus is a 2 hour operetta. Yes there are waltzes, but there are also polkas, marches and other music. Some of it is lighthearted and some is romantic. I think the success of the programme will depend on what music they select.
    Exactly. Die Fledermaus is an operetta, and some of the scenes are comic--I'm hoping that some of the FD will go that way...something like the Rhythm of Love EX.

BTW, they've never done an operetta as seniors, so it isn't same old same old, especially if they take a serio comic route.

Synopsis
    http://www.naxos.com/education/opera...0_synopsis.htm

Eisenstein is due to report to prison, having defaulted on his taxes. He is induced, however, to attend a fancy-dress party at Prince Orlofsky's, by his friend Dr Falke, who plans revenge for having been abandoned on a previous occasion to go home in his costume of a bat.
    What could be more 'today' then someone in trouble with his country's IRS?

Will Charlie have a bat costume?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    But I remember that they changed music based on judges' feedback last season (for the SD) and I spent the whole season hating that SD and wishing that the judges hadn't told them to scrap the Amelie one (I really liked the idea of the story they were going to tell with it).
    It seems like almost everyone who was supposed to do Amelie for the SD scrapped it. I thought that it was decided that Amelie didn't actually fit the Golden very well. But I loved last year's SD, so I guess I can't comment.

I assume the reason they were advised to switch because of the non-literal interpretation was the "easily understandable" BS. I have no strong opinions on how Meryl and Charlie will do/would have done with either music. As many have said, it's hard to even guess what the programs will be like when we don't know which actual selections they will be using. I prefer to reserve judgement on the program until I've seen it.

vCash
    KKonas at GoldenSkate had some more details about their programs:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post583093

vCash
    I'm with you, TG. Wait and see! I love the Strauss music but I would have enjoyed seeing their interpretation of "La Strada", too. I love how they waltz and polka so perhaps that's what they will use. No way to know until SA so I'll just keep looking forward to seeing both their programs.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast