Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    i agree with everyone's assessment here of d/w's soft speed in this exhibition. my worry is when they actually execute their sd and fd since they have to meet point requirements. i hope they wont fall back to being frantic and losing the quality in their positions in their attempt to squeeze as much elements as fast as they could.

vCash
    It should serve them well in the rhumba SD.

vCash
    I thought that split rotational lift was very cool.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
    if you just work on extension, toe point and hip turnout, you wont need long legs. just look at katia gordeeva!
    Katia has long legs for her size, but yes, those things do help.

Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    It's amazing how a stronger leg line makes a move look 10x better, IMO, it's like a magnifying glass in a good way. Even Charlie looks like he's been hitting the ballet classes - I think he's extending through the fingertips and rounding his arms more, I'm impressed!
    I'm happy they decided to focus on these aspects of their skating this year. Things like this have been holding them back competitively...they show a true champion's attitude by focusing on them!

Quote Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
    i agree with everyone's assessment here of d/w's soft speed in this exhibition. my worry is when they actually execute their sd and fd since they have to meet point requirements. i hope they wont fall back to being frantic and losing the quality in their positions in their attempt to squeeze as much elements as fast as they could.
    The one thing I didn't see here was a step sequence, which is understandable as its only an exhibition. But in the past, that's where their position quality has fallen apart and the "frantic" look sometimes appears. Here's hoping that this year will be different and they are saving the best for last.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    The one thing I didn't see here was a step sequence, which is understandable as its only an exhibition. But in the past, that's where their position quality has fallen apart and the "frantic" look sometimes appears.
    I feel that way about pretty much every team's step sequences. I am especially dreading this year's circular no touch steps. The straight line no touch steps we've seen in recent years are generally non-dancy, balance-challenged exercises in one foot gyrations, but at least we are used to them. I worry the circular steps will be a whole new level of awkward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I feel that way about pretty much every team's step sequences. I am especially dreading this year's circular no touch steps. The straight line no touch steps we've seen in recent years are generally non-dancy, balance-challenged exercises in one foot gyrations, but at least we are used to them. I worry the circular steps will be a whole new level of awkward.
    Oh, what we've seen is generally very awkward. I actually like the non-touching straight steps because you can see just how precise and in unison the two skaters are. The NT-circular steps don't allow that and have that awkwardness factor applied ten-fold.

vCash
    One highlight of Meryl & Charlie's programs for me is often the midline step. I'm thinking of their Bollywood program, for example, where even their fingers matched.

vCash
    I love that step sequence!! I'm looking forward to their no touch circular step sequence. I can't believe that the Skate America SD is in 17 days!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    One highlight of Meryl & Charlie's programs for me is often the midline step. I'm thinking of their Bollywood program, for example, where even their fingers matched.
    Their non-touching sequences are usually very good. I was thinking about the ones that have to be in hold, like the diagonal in S&D. Guessing things will be much improved now!

vCash
    I hope that their FD is fun and entertaining!

vCash
    I ran into this on youtube-it a video from the nosebleed seats on the end of the rink of their Fashion on Ice performances, including the first number, Rhythm of Love. They are so tiny in this film, but it does show something we don't normally see in videos-their speed, and the pattern of the programs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcNSeo8QhcM&NR=1

vCash
    dlynndao -- Thank you!

They just move so easily over the ice.

vCash
    Don't know if this has been posted. It's the extended version of their tap water ad.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSt3j...layer_embedded
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

vCash
    After watching the dance clips from Finlandia, I am anxious to see Meryl and Charlie's programs this season. Less than 2 weeks to wait now!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    After watching the dance clips from Finlandia, I am anxious to see Meryl and Charlie's programs this season. Less than 2 weeks to wait now!!
    I know I was thinking the same thing!!

vCash
    I too am waiting to see their new program. This thread is so much more balanced than the cult (IMO) that is the Virtue and Moir one. I'll have to remember to take an anti-emetic when I go to Skate Canada in a few weeks,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    I too am waiting to see their new program. This thread is so much more balanced than the cult (IMO) that is the Virtue and Moir one. I'll have to remember to take an anti-emetic when I go to Skate Canada in a few weeks,
    It's nice that you said that about this thread being more balanced. I've often thought that, too, but being the uber that I am, I know I'm subject to criticism. We do enjoy gushing over D/W but IMO, it doesn't seem to reach the level of V/M uberness. I don't post in the V/M thread anymore, don't want to be a wet blanket, better just to stay away. I still like V/M but there are many more teams I prefer to watch now and let's be honest here, I am a D/W uber and I want them to win. V/M are their closest rivals, so enough said.

Looking forward to seeing D/W's programs of course!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    thank you so much, dlynndao and mollymgr for the videos. I have always found that they have a great connection, but it seems to have grown even more. this exhibition is exquisite and I ove that they have incorporated the blade/boot move from the opening of their Samson and Delilah program (my favourite program of theirs). I am so excited to see them this season

vCash
    I too am waiting to see their new program.
    I am especially curious about the SD and whether they can really capture a Latin flavor in the steps and body movements. From Finlandia, I was pleasantly surprised at most of the circular non touching footwork. It seems doing it on a curve looks less awkward than going straight down the ice.

I'll have to remember to take an anti-emetic when I go to Skate Canada in a few weeks,
    If the V-M fans are hepped up by this SD, it's them who need medication. I have not watched the free dances yet, but checked out the video for the short dances, and honestly, nobody is doing justice to the Latin rhythm. While Scott made no attempt at Latin at all, Tessa's salute to Latin seemed to consist of writhing her torso and wriggling her shoulders when they were standing still. Once they started moving, there was no more Latin there. IMO, the Shibs effort was just sad. It is probably not fair to ask a 16 yo to do seductive/sensual, esp not when skating with her brother, but really, there was nothing remotely rhumba/samba/salsa/whatever Latin about this piece. Bates/Chock actually did have a couple places where the timing of their steps had the slight syncopation of quick - slow, but those moments were fleeting.

If you want to see what I'm talking about, mute the sound when you watch these SPs. If it weren't for the costumes and the posing could you tell it wasn't any other generic dance? Anybody see quick-quick-slow in there?

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shsocu View Post
    Don't know if this has been posted. It's the extended version of their tap water ad.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSt3j...layer_embedded
    I love the extended version! I'll forever get a kick out of the opening shot, with Meryl just chilling out, casually drinking water while perched on Charlie's leg. And you can see it coming with the reflection off the boards. I love all the slow-mo stuff here - like the tango moments (which really makes you appreciate how much work they must have put it into them) and that fluid circular step sequence. I was rewatching the FD from Worlds and there is a lone person clapping right after they finish the circ step seq. Is it Igor?

I'm so curious what D/W's SD will be like, if it will similar to the other Shpilband/Zoueva ones we've seen at Finlandia. I'm looking forward to it - I get JLo's "On the Floor" stuck in my head whenever I hear it (to my own embarrassment). I can see the no-touching circular step seq set to the chorus of this. It's so hard to not pre-emptively choreograph stuff in your head!

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast