Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jumps Off Ice

vCash
    I remember Emanuel Sandhu had triple axels for his audition on SYTYCD Canada. Mary Murphy even had to ask him what the move is called.

It amazes me how people don't twist their ankles every time when doing off ice jumps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    During the qualifying rounds at the 1996 World Junior Championships in Brisbane, the Russian and German singles skaters prior to skating warmed up by the ice doing doubles and triples in their sneakers. It was amazing to see!
    That's a pretty common way to warm up for axels, doubles, and triples nowadays. Most coaches warm up their advanced students in the lobby before they take to the ice for a lesson.

It seems unbelieveable now but I remember reading in several skater memoirs that the North American skaters in the 70's never did that, even at competitions like Worlds. Apparently the East Germans started doing it and the other skaters were amazed when they took to the ice for their warm-up and could do triple jumps right away.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    ^ Do you guys have any videos? I really want to see them!
    I don't have any of my old videos any more. I had some on video but threw them all out with my old skating tapes. I meant to save them but I had not labeled them and the idea of sitting through tons of unlabeled skating tapes to find just one was not very fun. I now wish I had kept some but it isn't as if I could show any of my real life friends. You guys would be the only ones to appreciate and/or understand.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I don't have any of my old videos any more. I had some on video but threw them all out with my old skating tapes. I meant to save them but I had not labeled them and the idea of sitting through tons of unlabeled skating tapes to find just one was not very fun. I now wish I had kept some but it isn't as if I could show any of my real life friends. You guys would be the only ones to appreciate and/or understand.
    I may have a couple of your real player files on my old computer somewhere.

I remember being impressed with how you could tack double loops onto the end of your triples. I had so much trouble doing loops as the second jump in combination, it was easier for me to do a double or triple loop first.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    This guy was great.

The jumps were a little under-rotated, but pretty impressive nevertheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5w0uO-Ruh8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Don't see a whole lot of triple tours in ballet by male dancers-mostly doubles, but they do point their feet, hold their bodies/shoulders erect, and have arms in the correct various positions. Seriously, either athlete is fabulous in my book. I know Emanuel was a ballet dancer-you can tell. Wonder how much ballet Kulik had? I always assumed the Russian skaters had tons of ballet, but how true is this? The pairs skaters look like they have more ballet to me, but what do I know?
    Ever see the movie "Center Stage"? I think Ilia had plenty of ballet training.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Ah, Ilia's gorgeous over-rotated 3A on the floor!

I read somewhere that he'd landed a 4A on the floor, but never tried it on the ice. Apparently it's a huge technique in Russia to be able to land all your jumps on the floor. I think it takes the place of the harness.

I see the more advanced girls at my rink doing off-ice jumps all the time. My coach wants me to start doing off-ice jumps too.

There's video floating around somewhere of Plushenko playing soccer for some celebrity team...he scores a goal and celebrates with an over-rotated 2A (on the grass, in soccer boots! ) and a couple of very pretty butterflies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    Ever see the movie "Center Stage"? I think Ilia had plenty of ballet training.
    At least enough to pass for a professional at the barre. Upper body shot only, of course.

....it always bugged me that Sergei got shunted to San Fransisco. And that he wasn't given a bigger part in the movie, really. I liked Sergei, he was my favourite character. (Disclaimer: I liked Sergei before I started following figure skating!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Ah, Ilia's gorgeous over-rotated 3A on the floor!

I read somewhere that he'd landed a 4A on the floor, but never tried it on the ice. Apparently it's a huge technique in Russia to be able to land all your jumps on the floor. I think it takes the place of the harness.

I see the more advanced girls at my rink doing off-ice jumps all the time. My coach wants me to start doing off-ice jumps too.

There's video floating around somewhere of Plushenko playing soccer for some celebrity team...he scores a goal and celebrates with an over-rotated 2A (on the grass, in soccer boots! ) and a couple of very pretty butterflies.
    Can you find the video?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Doing jumps off ice can improve your fitness, but it doesn't help your timing. You don't have an entrance edge before the takeoff when you do it on the ground.
    This. It may help with timing and getting a feel for rotation, but it does nothing for edges or flow out of the jump.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12