Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash

Nikita - Season Two

I thought season one just got better and better as the season progressed. Great characters, well-paced and every episode was enjoyable. I like shows that challenge me and I have to admit that enough happened that I'm confused as to where we left off...!

So I'm reviewing with some help from the imdb episode list. The summary of the last episode:

Percy makes a move to take over the CIA, Alex goes rogue, and Michael gets trapped inside Division making him unable to help Nikita, who may have to pay with her life for helping Alex.
    Michael is completely anti-Division now, right? I did not remember about him being trapped inside Division... (Doh! Pay attention, PeterG!!!)

And Alex will be back with Nikita in no time, right? RIGHT???

I was thinking that I want to see a lot more of Devon Sawa (Owen),

Spoiler

More info (and hot pics) here:

Spoiler

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Do you know when the new season starts? My dad started watching that show, and he really got into it, but I think that is the only time he watches the station it's on, so he wouldn't see the preview commercials for it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Do you know when the new season starts? My dad started watching that show, and he really got into it, but I think that is the only time he watches the station it's on, so he wouldn't see the preview commercials for it.
    The first episode of season 2 aired yesterday. Nikita is now shown at 8pm on Fridays. I think the CW updates their episode gallery over the weekend at the latest, so it should be up soon.

It was such a wild season premiere in a good way; good pacing and continuity from the season finale. There's a whole lot of excellent character moments; particularly for Nikita, Alex, Birkoff and Percy.

vCash
    Indra, I agree -- I LOVE the new Birkoff and the possibilities it brings for Nikita and Michael!
    just my two cents...

vCash
    Those of you who watched the original series back during the 1990s. How does this new series compare to it?

vCash
    Personally I think the series with Peta Wilson was darker and more menacing, but it is also set at a different point. It starts like the movie with Nikita in training etc. and eventually wanting to get out with Michael.

For those of you who don't know, the Amanda role was played by Alberta Watson, who is the one doing most of the speaking on the oversight committee in the current series.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I'd agree, the first series seemed darker and Division seemed more powerful. Michael also seemed more "serious" - this Michael doesn't seem as dangerous.

But as Skate Talker pointed out, we were looking at it from Nikita's position inside and under the control of Division and not as an independent force fighting them.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I have come to love Nikita. I have never seen the original recipe, but I find the show pretty grim, but I like the humour and humanity. And, sorry, but Percy is so hot in his white jumpsuit!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I have come to love Nikita. I have never seen the original recipe, but I find the show pretty grim, but I like the humour and humanity. And, sorry, but Percy is so hot in his white jumpsuit!
    If you like this series, you should try the dvd's of season 1 of the original. I think the current Nikita does a good job, but the atmosphere is very different.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    Personally I think the series with Peta Wilson was darker and more menacing, but it is also set at a different point. It starts like the movie with Nikita in training etc. and eventually wanting to get out with Michael...
    So is the current series a sequel of sorts with Nikita now out of Division One and fighting them? If so, is the character 10 years (give or take) older than she was when the original series ended?

vCash
    No - I would put Peta and Maggie's characters at roughly the same age. And no matter how hard I try I could never see Maggie (short, dark and Asian-American) as a later version of Peta (tall, blonde and Australian Viking).

Oh and imho if Pet's Nikita managed a successful escape from Division she would be getting as far away from them as she could, not trying to seek revenge or right the wrongs. The Division in that series was far too powerful for her to consider that and she was too smart to think it would make any difference anyway.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    So is the current series a sequel of sorts with Nikita now out of Division One and fighting them? If so, is the character 10 years (give or take) older than she was when the original series ended?
    In theory yes, but as Skate Talker says, it's hard to see the two series as really following one another. It's easier to think of them as just two separate series and just enjoy each in its own way.

vCash
    This is my favorite new show, though seeing as how it's going into season two, it's not necessarily new anymore. I used to watch the old Nikita which is why I started watching this one.

I definitely love this version more--probably because I was only in 6th grade when the other one came out and could only sneak and watch it when my parents weren't paying attention. I was really surprised by how good this new one is! I expected it to be your standard assassin out for revenge tv-based drama, but there were a lot of twists and turns that I didn't see coming and that really got me interested in the story. It's pretty much my favorite show right now (until Psych starts up in a few weeks). I bought season one and am rewatching it even though season two has started.

I'm glad it's been moved to a different night and I'm also glad it seems to be retaining it's audience. I was worried for a while there that they were going to cancel it. I like the writing and the action is really good b/c McG is one of the exec producers on this one. He did all of the Charlie's Angels movies which were very corny, but still had some pretty good albeit a little unbelievable action in them. There's no wire work in Nikita (thank god) but all of the action sequences are still really good. I'm a sucker for strong women kicking ass, so this is definitely my kinda show!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    My first thought of episode one was, "Gosh, Maggie Q is hot! But so tiny!" I realized I totally...what's that phrase - suspend disbelief? The show is really well done, but when she takes down a six foot tall, 200 lb. dude...

Second thought: Biker Michael?

Third thought: Melinda Clarke is freakin' amazing as Amanda! One question though, Amanda talked about the "mess" that Percy left us with. I remember Percy trying to make a deal with...the CIA? Where he had tons of control, but remained in the background, unseen. Can't remember where that went, and what the mess is that Amanda refers to...

Wonder if the Sean character (played by Dillon Casey) will return. He is HAWT! He's only listed as doing one show at imdb.com, but maybe it hasn't been updated. I googled him and found that he's done a "Living In L.A." video series that are quite funny. And you get to look at him, sometimes half-nekked...

Living in LA With Dillon Casey: Episode 7 Gay Day!

Casey was also on the Vampire Diaries:

Damon, Stefan, Elena, Noah: Unpleasantville Clip 17

I also liked the new Birkhoff, didn't like how he got treated and wished Nikita hadn't called him "nerd". Was cool to see him spout off at Amanda near the end of the episode!

vCash
    Maggie Q needs to win an Emmy. I'm sure she is able to play one of those boring but articulate and passionate lawyers, blah, snore, if the Entertainment industry allows her to. But can I see Julianne Margulies taking down a bunch of Venezuelan men with guns? Uhm, no.

Solid episode tonight. So, Owen is working for Ari Tasarov, eh? Destory all the Black Boxes and then kill tea-lovin' Percy. And what is Percy gonna do with all that Earl Grey?

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I really liked the scene of Alex and Nikita in the ballroom. Checking each other out...and then working together to save a life. And always great to see Owen back...

For a moment it was sweet that Birkhoff was going to get a love interest. I would have loved that! But when she started spouting out all her interests, which matched Birkhoff's so obviously, I knew something was up...

What was up with the evil Doctor and his henchmen having Nikita on a table...and not tying her up?? Silly bad guys, you never learn!

But I am really not liking the way they treat Birkhoff. He supplies brains, money, computer intelligence and a place for them to safely live. They're pretty much useless without him. Yet they treat him like an imbecile. I'm wondering if the writers want it to come off as teasing, but it's much to harsh to be taken that way. The actor portraying Birkhoff plays it like it's much more than that (which it is). Nikita and Michael are basically bullying a**holes, which kind of goes against their hero roles. Confusing!!

Then later, Nikita says to Owen, "if you ever need anything..." Doesn't Nikita and Birkhoff have much more of a history together? Didn't Birkhoff have unrequited feelings for Nikita before? And now she treats him like trash? How could someone be so mean (even if you didn't like the person...you are using...) Plus Michael and Nikita kissing in front of Birkhoff...in his own home. That's just too much!!

Towards the end of the show, when Sean told Alex to "take the shot" in regards to Nikita (so as to save her from limitless torture if/when she gets caught) - I thought that set things up well to pit Alex against Nikita, if only to save her from harm...

So, Owen is working for Ari Tasarov, eh? Destory all the Black Boxes and then kill tea-lovin' Percy.
    NO!!! Owen is a good guy who is only pretending to be on Ari's side!!! (Please!!!)

Maggie Q needs to win an Emmy.
    Good with me!

But can I see Julianne Margulies taking down a bunch of Venezuelan men with guns? Uhm, no.
    Ms. M. can do anything!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    But I am really not liking the way they treat Birkhoff. He supplies brains, money, computer intelligence and a place for them to safely live. They're pretty much useless without him. Yet they treat him like an imbecile. I'm wondering if the writers want it to come off as teasing, but it's much to harsh to be taken that way. The actor portraying Birkhoff plays it like it's much more than that (which it is). Nikita and Michael are basically bullying a**holes, which kind of goes against their hero roles. Confusing!!
    The thing with Birkhoff is that as much as he is teased/bullied, he's a bit like Percy in that he loves himself quite a bit. So he takes the bullying while brushing the dust off his shoulder because he knows Nikita and Michael will eventually turn to him for help. It's that knowledge that satisfies him.

One question though, Amanda talked about the "mess" that Percy left us with. I remember Percy trying to make a deal with...the CIA? Where he had tons of control, but remained in the background, unseen. Can't remember where that went, and what the mess is that Amanda refers to...
    The mess that Percy created was turning Division into a mercenary program, taking on side jobs that weren't sanctioned by the US govt. Division was originally meant to be sort of an attack dog. Of course, he took those jobs to maintain a healthy supply of recruits since Oversight cut millions from his budget (as a way to keep Percy on the leash). He made a move on Oversight because his attempts in getting the budget back up was foiled by Nikita in episode, "Phoenix," and the black box situation happened to go down the path that made it possible for him to negotiate with Oversight in the last two episodes of season 1.

Um... yeah, I might be a tad obsessed with this show....

vCash
    Don't loose hope about Birkhoff and the girl. They way they had her saying she didn't remember anything hit a note with me that maybe they mean for her to say that merely to protect Birkhoff, Nikita, and Michael's secrets. Obviously they were way too open with her revealing their base of operation etc. That was just a pretty big hole in the story line. These guys would surely be more careful about letting her see everything in the first place, never mind letting her go back as if she was fully trustworthy. Anyway we may see her back yet.

vCash
    YAY! Nikita tonight!!

vCash
    Did anyone else catch tonight's episode? I think it's the best episode since the premiere, granted all of them have been good but this one stands out. It's so well written with Nikita and Alex's storyline's woven together excellently. The writers are doing a good job balancing both Nikita and Alex with their strained relationship. I also like that there's more of continuity with this episode from the last.

My biggest fear for a show like Nikita is doing monster-of-the-week plots since there was quite a few episodes like that last season and while the episodes were intriguing, it could have been used more wisely (eg: The Recruit episode, where Division finds their new cleaner and he hasn't appeared since then)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast